They Spent $6500 On A Party But Maybe $20 On The Cake...

Decorating By SarahsSweets2006 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm by step0nmi

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 22

I work at a members-only country club. I worked a surprise birthday party there the other day and saw the spec sheet on it and it cost $6500. I looked around to spy on the cake (one of my fav. things to do). I found the cake box and opened it to find THE UGLIEST CAKE EVER. This thing was slightly bigger than a 9x13 (for that many people...come on), chocholate cake with white icing... you know why I knew it was chocholate? THERE WERE HUNDREDS OF DARK CRUMBS STUCK IN THE ICING (hello??? crumb coat???). Then it had a couple white drop flowers with a yellow dot in each one, shell border on bottom ("pretty"). As a cake decorator, I was embarrassed. I could not get over it. I would NEVER and I mean NEVER have something so hideous leave my kitchen. Wow-wee... hey there, you spent $6500 on the party... let's not skimp out on the cake next time... k. icon_smile.gif

I should have snapped a pic of it on my phone but I didn't think of it at the time.

21 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 22

sometimes i just dont' get people.

Wedding I had once: I did the cake. There was a DJ and a cash bar. For food, they had a couple of walmart trays of veggies and cheese ... for the 150 planned people. I was sitting in the hall reading a book, waiting until it was time to cut the cake when I noticed a lot of people going out the back door. I figured it was the smoking area or something. Until they started to return carrying McDonalds and burger king bags!!!

This bride/groom wanted the "big party" but didn't have the money to pay for it. They provided a DJ, who charged a 4 hour minimum. They expected their guests to stay for 4 hours, to dance and get all hot, sweaty, thirsty and hungry, but expected the guests to buy their own drinks and fight each other for a cube of cheese.

I just dont' get people.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 22

here's a thought, have it in someone's big outside yard "garden style" and have a finger food buffet and spring for a lovely cake<nice cutting ceremony> skip the DJ and have someone "watch" the stereo with CDs and dance till you drop!
You get the best of both worlds without so much expense!
DUH! icon_rolleyes.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 22

Then there's the other side. . . my wedding. I paid for that DJ AND catering AND drinks AND cake. Within 2 hours, everyone was gone, I had so many drinks left over. Everyone had their fill (but me and the groom.) Why pay for it all? Next time I'm going to the courthouse.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 22

Isn't that sad? The only food with Birthday in the name and it was sorely neglected........

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 22

And this is why, when I get married next year, we are doing it in our own back garden with only close family and friends present. Afterwards, we'll go out to eat. We are paying for the whole thing and we've both been through the "big" wedding before and hated it. Thus, this time it will be a small affair with a lovely cake that the few people present will talk about with fondness for ages!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 22

I'll call your reception and raise you...no food at all! Imagine 400 ppl, a Hyatt hotel, the bride in a $3000 gown and $1000 headpiece. A 14 piece band serenaded them through the ceremony, a DJ and a band at the reception, one glass of champagne per person while waiting in the interminable recieving line, and if we'd have known that the only food that was going to be offered was the chips and salsa, we'd have stocked up! They had three cash bars set up. (Not to mention that we drove 8 hours for a Friday evening reception.) People were breaking into the mints in the favors for the sugar!
It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd have been warned that there would be no food, something otherwise unheard of in our family. The centerpieces on the large round tables were beautiful, but you can't eat those flowers.
Cue to later in the evening, and I'm so hungry, I'm nauseous...I was four months pregnant at the time. We have to leave to get some food. The only thing open at that time is Denny's. Imagine my surprise when we enter and everyone is dressed in formal attire...all guests from the wedding!! It has become known as the wedding "catered" by Denny's.

2sdae Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 22

I can understand with a wedding needing to cut corners, but a 6500.00 birthday party? Come on here people!

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 22

FrostinGal, I fold! That story "takes the cake" as we say in the trade! icon_lol.gif I'll be repeating that one for some time!

2sdae Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

FrostinGal, I fold! That story "takes the cake" as we say in the trade! icon_lol.gif I'll be repeating that one for some time!

well, they just needed our own catering guru and cake master, indidebi to cater and correct them!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LOL!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 22

How about clueless brides? One bride went on and on about the expensive stationery, the food that was IMPORTED for the reception, the ice sculptures, etc. When discussing the cake, the bride didn't want to spend more than 50 cents a serving...it's just CAKE!

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

How about clueless brides? One bride went on and on about the expensive stationery, the food that was IMPORTED for the reception, the ice sculptures, etc. When discussing the cake, the bride didn't want to spend more than 50 cents a serving...it's just CAKE!

At which point I remind them, "I'ts NOT just cake. It's the centerpiece of your very grand and expensive reception."

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

... the bride didn't want to spend more than 50 cents a serving...it's just CAKE!

I don't even sell individual cupcakes for .50 each!

DelectableCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectableCreations Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 22

there's a show on MTV Called Sweet 16. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, its a ridiculous show.. and I want to vomit every time i see how much the families spent on their spoiled little bratty kids...

I saw one episode where the fam spent approx. 50,000 DOLLARS on their kids party and the cake looked like a 2 year old decorated it! I thought the same thing... how can you spend THAT MUCH money on everything else and then have such a embarrassing looking cake?!

it was in a disposable tin pan,and had the gel kind of icing you buy in the little tubes for the writing. i couldn't believe it!

sometimes i wonder where people's heads are haha

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 22

i am just embarrassed by people!!!! hahahahaha you would think they would be too!!!!! i might not have the best decorations....but i will tell you there is always enough food and cake at all of my parties... shoot...i even go out of my way for others if they can't provide....
my cousin got married...i was not invited...because they had to cut corners...they had it at the beach and from what i hear there were quiet a few people there....at the reception...i was told they had a small table set up in the sand....where punch and cookies were served....that was it!!!! and i was told they weren't even good cookies!!!! hahahahaha you know i didn't need to be invited...i understand... i love my family all the same....they could have asked or someone could have told me about the wedding and how sad the reception was going to be....i would have made sure that they had a cake!!! i wouldn't of even charged them....but that is me, that is who i am....oh well, its not like nobody in the family doesn't know i make cakes....and yet just 2 hours ago i heard about my other cousin that is getting married....and none of us are invited hahahahhahaa...cutting corners....i heard they are getting a cake from costco....hahahahaha i am not saying a word....cause my aunt is the one who was telling me about the other cousin and now she is doing it with her daughter!!!!!!! hahahaha i hope they enjoy!!!!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 22

FrostinGal - I can't believe someone would go through all the trouble of an expensive reception - with NO food!! Why even bother to have tables with massive centerpieces on them? Wow, I've never heard of anything so outrageous! Your poor baby in your belly - must have been starving!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:28pm
post #18 of 22

I must admit, my one obsession is checking out, "The Girls Next Door" every once in a while. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Shhhhh, shhh.gif don't tell anyone. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

icon_redface.gif You know, it's the show about the Playboy Bunnies, Hugh Hefner's girlfriends. icon_redface.gif Well I watched one episode where Kendra, no Bridgette, no Holly, oh whatever, they all look and act alike, bleached blonde, artificial implants and dumb as box of rocks, but smart enough to have a millionaire buy them everything. Anyway, one the girls had a birthday and he spent tons of money on her on her special day, but when it came to the cake, OMG icon_eek.gif so CHEAP AND UGLY. I thought, "Why bother getting one at all!"

But I understood, when I saw Kendra, no Bridgette, no Holly sit on it, oh whatever, then I understood, no use buying something nice if a bunny tail will be sitting on it.

DelectableCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectableCreations Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 22

tiptop! i saw that too! and i thought the same exact thing.. what an ugly cake.. and you know because it was hugh ordering it he probably got charged an arm and a leg! haha

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:45pm
post #20 of 22

or how about when they celebrated one of the Bunnies BD with a box of CUPCAKES?

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #21 of 22

Ha Ha, I saw that too...but I think all the cakes are made by the Playboy Mansion kitchen staff (except for Bridget's cupcakes from Sprinkles). Maybe they need to hire a pastry chef that knows what they are doing when it comes to cakes???? Or maybe they don't care too much, since they don't want the girls getting fat icon_evil.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 22

OMG! You guys are too hilarious! I sooo wish you would've gotten a picture! Then we would all be laughing our butts off at how ugly it was! Sound like SOMEONE made it though...drop flowers and all. Maybe we shouldn't be making fun of a fellow decorator!
I also wish I was doing a job where I could peek at people's cakes all the time! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%