What Does Everyone Charge For Cupcakes???

Business By traci Updated 30 Aug 2005 , 2:56am by sunlover00

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 3:53am
post #1 of 12

Hi! I have seen lots of cupcake posts lately and now it has got me thinking! What do most of you charge for a dozen regularly decorated cupcakes??? I get orders from time to time and do not know what the going rate would be. I think I usually end up going to cheap! Thanks!
traci icon_smile.gif

11 replies
traci Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 12

I am still looking for opinions on this post! Please!!! Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 12

24 cupcakes are $25. Cupcake cakes are more expensive based on the number of cupcakes and the design.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 12

$2.25 Canadian each, WITH A MINIMUM order of 24...why bother baking less than a batch of 2 dozen. Not profitable at all!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 12

Wow, I guess I am majorly undercharging. I was charging $10/dozen. Hmmm....

traci Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 12

Hi ElleC! That's about what I charge as well! However...it might be a good idea to check what local bakeries charge.
traci icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 12

I agree.. I think $25 for 24 cupcakes is fair. The cupcakes I did yesterday took WAY longer then most average size cakes that I make.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 12

I am having this same debate myself. All the bakeries here in my town do cupcakes for .50 or less. But then again those cupcake are just iced with a swirl on top and are no where near the way I would decorate them. I would have to charge at least $1 to make up for my time and supplies on the ones I have done.

MrsMissey, your cupcakes are so adorable. Would or did you charge $1 for those. They look like they really took a lot of time.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you smileyface...those little things took all day yesterday to make!! I didn't charge anything for them, they were just a little gift to my DH's secretary.....I just saw those in the 2006 Wilton Yearbook and wanted to make them! I think I would have had to charge about $ 1.50 each...there was a lot of fondant involved in each one.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 12

Your welcome, MrsMissey. I imagine the flesh color on the white pillow was just fine in person. Sometimes the camera doesn't take the actual picture and either helps or hurts our cake projects. So $52.50 for an all day project and all those supplies. I have been playing with the pricing matrix and it always shock me what it says I should charge. Before starting to make my own things I would have thought $1.50 a cupcake was a lot but now I know it is nothing when you compare the time and freshness of our items.

lolarott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolarott Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 4:22am
post #11 of 12

Hi -- I live in NYC and charge $2.50 per cupcake. That seems to be the going rate here.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:56am
post #12 of 12

I once charged $20 for 24 cc and the lady was shocked and felt overcharged. These were even filled with raspberry! I also debate over this all of the time.

I think for now, for me in Ohio, I will charge at least $10 for every cake mix I use and go up from there depending on the amount of decorating or filling involved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%