Help! My Gum Paste Is Hard!

Decorating By stacey000 Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 4:29am by ShirleyW

stacey000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey000 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #1 of 8

oh no! I guess I didn't wrap tightly enough and my gum paste got a bit hard and crumbly. Is there some way I can get it back to the way it should be? I don't have anymore! I thought I read something about this but I am searching the forum and can not find it now. Can I add crisco? water?

I would appreciate any sugestions! icon_cry.gif

here are some details in case it matters...the gumpaste is black, I made it yesterday from a Wilton mix and dye. I am making wheels that I would like to harden.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:54am
post #2 of 8

have you tried zapping it in the microwave for 5 or 10 seconds?

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #3 of 8

can you add a bit more fresh gumpaste to the crumbly stuff?

also, can you put crisco on your hands and just try to work it in...mine was dryish and that is what I did...

HTH

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

If the outside crust is really hard it's best to cut it all away with a sharp knife and toss that part out. Knead a little Crisco into the remaining paste, if it still feels too hard you can zap it for 10 seconds at a time on low power of your microwave. Take it out and check it for softness after each 10 second zapping.

stacey000 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 8

you guys are seriously the best!! This is my first 'big' cake and I don't know what I would do without this forum!

I just tried the crisco and its a lot better. The wheels will stil harden though, won't they?

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:16am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

just tried the crisco and its a lot better. The wheels will stil harden though, won't they?

Yes, they will still get hard...good luck and post pics when done icon_biggrin.gif

stacey000 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:36am
post #7 of 8

I will...thanks again!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

Your welcome. Hope it works well for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%