Glossy Royal Icing

Baking By giovanna Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 2:31am by Flowerpot

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:40am
post #1 of 15

I was looking through some pictures in the gallery and noticed that some of the cookies had a shiny glaze on them, they were detailed though, like they would be with royal icing. Does anyone know what recipe stays glossy like that? It was really pretty, they were pencil cookies... and a bus.

Thanks!

14 replies
Flowerpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowerpot Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #2 of 15

I think it's definitely Royal Icing with maybe some corn syrup in it--that being said, I did add corn syrup to my icing and is sure didn't look shiny. I sure hope we can get an answer because they look so nice shiny.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:37am
post #3 of 15

drying royal under a reading lamp gives a lovely gloss

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 15

I use powdered sugar mixed with equal parts milk and corn syrup. The icing dries firm to the touch, but not hard, and is glossy. It will get cloudy if refrigerated, though.

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 15

They may have used Toba Garrett's glace recipe. It's really good-tasting, dries shiny, but I've noticed that it dulls slightly after a day or two.

I haven't tried the reading light to dry them - but I sure will.

DeKoekjesfee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeKoekjesfee Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 15

I use the recipe of peggy porschen and it is nice shinny.

first 150 ml of water that you mix with a little fork or spoon with 25 g egwith powder.

1 kilo of confectioners sugar in the bowl, then you put 3/4 of the mixture above with it and 1 tablespoon of lemmon (yellow) jus.

After a minute the rest 1/4 of the mixture.

It is a very good and easy icing recipe

she makes beautifull things www.peggyporschen.com cookies and cake

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 15

I agree drying under a reading lamp. I do that and it works.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 15

Toba's glace definately is shinier, I think, than royal. Some of the pictures may have been taken while the icing is still wet as well.

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:30am
post #9 of 15

I will definitely try the reading lamp trick, about how long do you need to let it dry? the same amount of time that you would normally? What a great tip!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I use powdered sugar mixed with equal parts milk and corn syrup. The icing dries firm to the touch, but not hard, and is glossy. It will get cloudy if refrigerated, though.

so you're saying that if you use 16 ounces of 10x, I should mix with 16 ounces milk and 16 ounces corn syrup?

your recipe is not clear...

or is it equal amounts of milk and corn syrup and enough 10x to make it a nice piping consistency??

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:14am
post #11 of 15

I cannot remember how long I left mine. I put them as I finished each cookie and by the end of doing all the cookies they were pretty much dry.
After that just leave them to harden before stackingor packing.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 15

Hi. I read in one of Martha's books that you can add glycerin to your royal and it will give it a shine. I have used it before in mine but I really didn't see a difference. Also, you can only use a drop or your icing will not harden correctly. Try looking it up on the net. I'll try to find the book that I read this in for your reference. Good luck

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

still looking for those proportions..thanks

CupcakingChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakingChristine Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #14 of 15

Hi All - I am new to the site and still learning to navigate my way! Can someone tell me where I can find Toba's Glace Icing recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

Flowerpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowerpot Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:31am
post #15 of 15

Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Cookies!
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

1 lb. confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

Directions
In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.
Divide to flavor and add color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%