Finding Cake Decorating Classes For A Child

Decorating By stormy2500 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm by darandon

stormy2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormy2500 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:59am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find cake deco classes for a child? My daughter is 8 and is REALLY wanting to take classes...but I can't find anywhere that will let her. I checked with Wilton instructors and they said she needed to be at least 12...as well as our local cake deco shop.

Suggestions????

7 replies
Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #2 of 8

Where are you located???

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #3 of 8

Some Michael's stores offer Kakes for Kids classes.

stormy2500 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 8

We are in the Portland, Oregon area. I have checked with our Michael's here and they don't offer the kids class (no one to teach it). It's frustrating not being able to find a class that will allow her to attend. Maybe private lessons? I don't know if anyone is willing to do that...might be an option to somehow check into though.

ceme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceme Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 8

My daughter is 8 also and the Michael's teaches kids only during the summer time. You might have to call around to other hobby stores.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8

There are ups and downs to teaching young ones to decorate.

The up is they have no fear and will try anything.

The down is they get easily frustrated, and often don't get the hang of it as quickly as an adult. I know instructors in some cases who have had to hold the rest of the class up while the instructor helps them over and over and a few times offer an additional class to get everything covered due to the extra time they had to take helping a little one out.

Michael's is definately almost always a stickler on this. Years back though at a California store I took a course 1 class with a boy who was 10. He took it with his mom. He's now 15 can can out decorate almost anyone I know. He will be working in my old shop in a few months. icon_biggrin.gif Great kid!

If you can find a class for her I say do it. Did you ask the Michael's teacher if she can sign up with you and both of you take the class? That way if she doesn't get the hang of something you can help her while the rest of the class moves on?

stormy2500 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Did you ask the Michael's teacher if she can sign up with you and both of you take the class?

I did ask and they still wouldn't let her. They were even giving us a rough time we I wanted to sign both of us up for the gingerbread house class. icon_sad.gif The only reason they let her take that class was because I had just completed the course I classes...otherwise they wouldn't have let her either.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

Wow - sad that Michaels by you were that way. I talked my Wilton teacher into doing a "mini decorating" class for my girl scout troop. We brought in the "naked" cupcakes and she taught them some basics.
Wilton on line has a great kids course that you could use to teach her yourself.
the michaels by me has started doing all of the kids classes. My daughter and I just did the giant cookie class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%