Pastry School

Decorating By morphis1208 Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm by toristreats

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone.

I am so excited I just had to tell someone!!! I have decided to go to baking and pastry school. It starts in early January and I can't wait. I am super excited. Just had to share with everyone who would listen or read icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 14

congrats!!! I am jealous... icon_smile.gif How can you stand the wait until Jan.?? LOL

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 14

Good for you! Which school are you going to?
I just finished LeCordon Bleu in August.... it was a blast I miss being so busy.

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 14

That's awesome!! Where are you going?

Meagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 14

I attended a pastry school in southern California and had a HORRIBLE experience. I won't post the name here, but if you are in SC and thinking about attending, let me know, and I'll tell you about my experience. thumbsdown.gif

morphis1208 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:00am
post #6 of 14

I know I CAN'T wait untill January I'm like a kid a Christmas icon_biggrin.gif I am going to attend the Arts Institute in Tampa. I really wanted to go to Le Cordon Bleu but finacially I can't afford the move to Orlando icon_sad.gif

For those of you that have gone to school do you think it's made a difference in your career? I just wonder if I don't go if I'll have the same opportunities.

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:05am
post #7 of 14

They are very willing to help you find the job of your dreams as long as you are willing to not be paid very well for it! icon_biggrin.gif Unfortuneatly I cannot afford to leave my "regular" job at the moment.

When I left I felt like I had learned so much but still have sooo much more to learn. It goes by very quickly.
Just being on CC for the past few days I have learned so much. Everyone on this site Rocks!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:07am
post #8 of 14

I really wanted to go to a pastry school, but all they have in our area is the full culinary program --- so I'm in that. I'm glad I am now, my food has improved right along with my DH's waist line icon_lol.gif I want to go to pastry school one day even though I'm learning some now, but just like you moving is not an option.

congrats, I'm sure you'll love it!!!!! Don't forget to keep us updated on everything and take lots of pics of all your yummy creations for a portfolio.

morphis1208 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:15am
post #9 of 14

mkolmar-
How much baking and pastry do they actually teach you in culinary school? I was going to take that but for the money it really didn't seem to hit on the areas that I am interested in.

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #10 of 14

OH, how I wish I could go. There are no schools close to me.

Congratulations and good luck. Keep us posted so we can all be very jelous.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:43am
post #11 of 14

morphis, I'm in my first semester so I know we'll get deeper into it later. Right now I'm glad I'm in there, I've learned a lot about baking already that is coming in useful. To me it is money well spent already, can't wait till next semester when we work a LOT with everything chocolate. Find out more about the program that is offered. The program I'm in is a little different than most because the students run a fine dinning restaurant on campus so it is really hectic but an awesome way to learn and get a feel for what is in store later down the road. We rotate down the list everyday so everyweek we are in a different work station, last week I was in Bake shop, this week is rest. prep, next week is soups and sauces and then from there is entree.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 14

I'm in culinary school now and love it! I start Baking and Pastry School in January. I've learned a lot in Culinary School and I'm looking forward to next semester when it will be all baking and pastry.
Leslie

Princess35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess35 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 14

Thats so great that you're going to school. Congratulations!!! I am in the baking and pastry arts program at JWU, I'm finished the end of February. Very excited. I personally have loved it, it's a lot of hard work. A lot of sacrifice for me personally. I have a job in the field but since pay starts so low I have to keep a second job and take classes as well. But in my opinion it's worth it. I have learned so much and been priveleged to work with some great pastry chefs. My work has improved. I still have a lot to learn but school has given me a great foundation. Good luck to you!!!!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 14

I'm so jealous. I really want to go to culinary school, but I need to wait until my kids are older.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%