Smack Your Mamma Recipe!

Baking By travelingcakeplate Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 3:28am by czyadgrl

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 26

I just got a call from a referral.

She needs 3 pound cakes. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Pound cakes are NOT my "thing", but I refuse to turn business away!

Has anyone tried the Sour Cream Pound Cake from the Bake Decorate Celebrate website?
How was it?

Has anyone tried the Lemon Pound Cake II on CC? How was it?

If not, do you have a "Smack your Mamma" recipe for a vanilla and/or lemon pound? (It can be scratch or a mix)
icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

25 replies
cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 26

Go to epicurious.com and search for Elvis Presley's favorite poundcake. This is the recipe I use and sell. You can substitute sourcream for the cream to get a sourcream poundcake. I add lemon juice and zest for a lemon pound cake. It's awesome. It has the finest crumb I have ever seen and my customers love it.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 26

That wouldn't happen to be the same thing as "Sock It To Me Cake". That is made with sour cream and has a brown sugar/cinnamon/nut combo to mix in.
I have a recipe for that (doctored mix recipe) at home, could send you later if you want.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 26

Ok, I can try your sock it to me recipe. I am willing to try just about anything if it is good!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 26

i have a cream cheese pound cake recipe that's yummy

cassandrascakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 26

Tara, girl, I just know you don't have a yummy recipe that you are holding hostage from me!!

czyadgrl Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 26

I'll post as soon as I can get to my cookbook at home - might be a day, but I WILL post it here...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 26

cassandrascakes,

Have misplaced my favorite pound cake recipe since remodeling the kitchen...

It had a very fine crumb, but it wasn't a fragile cake. Sounds like Elvis is for me!

Thanks for posting.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 26

Mmmmmm, creamcheese pound cake daltonam?? That sounds so yummy.... I'd love to have that recipe!!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

Mmmmmm, creamcheese pound cake daltonam?? That sounds so yummy.... I'd love to have that recipe!!

Me too icon_biggrin.gif

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 26

Me toooo

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 26

make that three - - I have a wedding cake in December that a creamcheese pound cake would be perfect for!!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 26

me 4!

I was just looking for a pound cake recipe on allrecipies.com. Something tugged me back here!

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:20am
post #14 of 26

I just used the pound cake recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor book for my Halloween cake and it was super yummy! It was dense and moist, everything you'd expect from a scratch recipe. Best of all, it was from a mix, so no fail! Good luck!

daltonam Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:24am
post #15 of 26

OK OK OK --but i can't do it today, i let my DH aunt hold my recipe book while we were in colorado & i'm leaving for an out of town wedding tomorrow morning--i'm so tired of going places--i want to sleep in, breakfast in bed, and the kids to sleep in too (don't care about their breakfast, as long as they eat & don't cook for me-lol)

but as soon as i can (sunday/monday) i'll type it up for y'all

oh and cass--I'M SO SORRY

BTW--i'll trade this recipe for a GREAT banana nut bread (that doesn't mush in the middle) recipe. nah j/j i'll give mine anyway icon_biggrin.gif

daltonam Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #16 of 26

okay, so for all of you that wanted the recipe, i haven't forgotten--as soon as my DH's aunt gets home from work, i'm going to get the book from her.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 26

I have a really good cream cheese pound cake recipe, I don't know if it's the same one or not, but here it is:

1 1/2 cups butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
3 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 eggs
3 cups cake flour
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch tube pan.
Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light. Stir in the vanilla and the almond extracts. Add the flour and the eggs alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean

kdhoffert Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 26

Here's another plain pound cake recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups white sugar
5 eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups cake flour
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
Cream shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy (for best results use an electric mixer). This will take a while. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
Combine baking powder and flour. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with flour. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

kdhoffert Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:45pm
post #19 of 26

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Aunt-Johnnies-Pound-Cake/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Pound-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

I found the links that I got the original recipes from if you want to look at the reviews and stuff.

czyadgrl Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 26

Sorry for the delay! Crazy week. Here is the recipe I promised:

Sock-It-To-Me Cake

1 Box DH Golden Butter Cake Mix
2/3 C. oil
1/2 C. sugar
4 eggs - add 1 at a time
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 C. Nuts (pecan or walnut), chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon

Oven 325. Well-greased bundt pan. Mix by hand. Electric mixer may cause cake to fall. Combine cake mix, oil, sugar, sour cream and eggs. Add nuts last. In seperate bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour 1/2 of batter into bundt pan. Add sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. Pour remaining batter into bundt pan. Bake about 50 minutes depending on your pan.

quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 26

cassandrascakes, I tried the Elvis cake this weekend and LOVED it! Thanks for showing me my new standard pound cake! People who didn't like cake (crazy concept, huh?) asked for seconds. My kids have been gobbling it down like they've never been fed before. I'll have to try your variations next. Any other winners you can let me in on? Thanks again!

cassandrascakes Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #22 of 26

You are so welcome quills!! I love it too, and so does every one I have baked it for. There is a german chocolate cake on there also where you boil the sweetened condensed milk to make caramel that is to die for. I'll look through my recipe book on that site and let you know what else is good. I'm glad you like it!

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 10:37pm
post #23 of 26

I can't wait to try this! I've got a cream cheese poundcake recipe that's to die for but I'm always willing to find Plan B! You never know when you'll need it!

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 2:21am
post #24 of 26

okay, did i miss anyone???

aidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aidee Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 2:32am
post #25 of 26

czyadgrl,

how much sour cream do i need? for the sock -it -to-me-cake, i think you skipped this part, cuz you mentioned it in the instructions, but i don't see it on the recipe.
thanks

czyadgrl Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:28am
post #26 of 26

Thanks aidee! Sorry. Multi-tasking is often very inefficient for me! It won't let me edit, so here it is..

Sock-It-To-Me Cake

1 Box DH Golden Butter Cake Mix
2/3 C. oil
1/2 C. sugar
1 C. sour cream
4 eggs - add 1 at a time
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 C. Nuts (pecan or walnut), chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon

Oven 325. Well-greased bundt pan. Mix by hand. Electric mixer may cause cake to fall. Combine cake mix, oil, sugar, sour cream and eggs. Add nuts last. In seperate bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour 1/2 of batter into bundt pan. Add sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. Pour remaining batter into bundt pan. Bake about 50 minutes depending on your pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%