How Do You Get Truly Black Ri???

Baking By thedessertdiva Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 12:26am by bakinccc

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 23

Mine seems to always want to come out a nice slate grey or blue color... icon_confused.gif I'm afraid I'm going to have to use the entire bottle of Americolor to get it jet black and I need to make tuxedo heart cookies this week. ugh...help, guys!

22 replies
mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 23

After I mix mine ,I always let it sit for a while...that seems to help deepen the color. HTH

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 23

I've read that some people start with a navy blue color one day, then add black a day or two later and then let that sit and get deeper by the day it's needed. Hopefully this will work for you. It's my plan for a project I have coming up in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 23

Instead of blue, I add a little purple to the black. It seems to help. I agree w/ the others about letting it sit for an afternoon. You'd be surprised how much it darkens.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 23

1tsp of black per cup of icing

If the flavor doesn't matter make some cocoa icing then color that black

but for however many cups you will need 1 tsp per

I am sorry this is not americolor.... I am thinking of Wilton color gel....

sorry about that! icon_redface.gif

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 23

powder, powder, powder icon_smile.gif It mixes well - darkens deeply and is great for impatient people like me. I use chefmaster with good results.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 23

I'm doing tuxedos this week too...Americolor is the only one that works for me and it is MUCH darker when you let it sit for hours after stirring in the colour, yes. Here are some I've done with it....
LL
LL
LL
LL

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 23

Antonia--Your cookies are great! I would never have thought you could get such a nice black out of RI. I'll have to try it sometime. (I also thought only BC deepened while sitting, so it's good to know about RI, too.) Thanks for posting!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

Instead of blue, I add a little purple to the black. It seems to help. I agree w/ the others about letting it sit for an afternoon. You'd be surprised how much it darkens.

I do this also, it really gets black.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I'm doing tuxedos this week too... is the only one that works for me and it is MUCH darker when you let it sit for hours after stirring in the colour, yes. Here are some I've done with it....

how much americolor did you use to achieve this? I will make some up this morning and let sit for a day, but I just need to know, about how many drops, squirts, tsp's...lol...

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 23

When I am doing enough black to fill one piping bag I usually only need one big drop to two big drops of americolor and that gets a nice deep black. I am guessing that is for about a cup of royal icing.

antonia74 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 23

I just made up 4 cups of the black icing and it took me about 2 tsp of Americolour Super Black to tint it jet black.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I just made up 4 cups of the black icing and it took me about 2 tsp of Americolour Super Black to tint it jet black.

Antonia74, your cookies are always spectacular!

antonia74 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 23

Why thank you!! icon_smile.gif

Here are the finished cookies from today:
LL

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 23

Wow Antonia!!! ImageImageImage
Those are amazing!!!

cookiesup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesup Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 23

They look great! Are you tinting the RI after you have thinned it? Is the 4c to 2tsp ratio still correct? Thanks

antonia74 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #17 of 23

Yes, for accuracy you tint after thinning it....and yes, these were the ones from yesterday and I measured 2 tsp of Americolor Super Black into 4 cups of thinned Antonia74 royal icing

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 23

wow helen, those cookies are awesome!!!!!! the detail on the dress is spectacular!

antonia74 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:28am
post #19 of 23

thanks! Now if only i can get a cutter made for those tuxedo suits. That was a PAIN to cut them all by hand! icon_mad.gif

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:42am
post #20 of 23

Antonia, these cookies are so amazing, I'm speechless
your going onto my buddy list! I"m keeping track of your work for sure

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #21 of 23

If you know you need a lot of black RI and are using meringue powder, substitute black airbrush color in place of the water needed to reconstitute the egg whites. It gave me a true black color when I made santas on candy canes. Also worked well using red airbrush color when mixing up a batch. THT

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm
post #22 of 23

This may have been said already but I start with red. Red turns into a great dark black. icon_smile.gif

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:26am
post #23 of 23

So did you make the cookies? How did they turn out. I too have to make a bunch of dress and tux cookies in late october for a wedding and I'm a little nervous about the black and white colors bleeding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%