Not Sure Where This Goes, But....

Decorating By ladybugs2 Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 12:35am by LisaMaeCakes

ladybugs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybugs2 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 28

I am a new member and thought I should introduce myself properly. I have made only 4 post so-far because I was really nervous about replying to the forum. My name is Suzie, I live in Georgia (GO DAWGS!!!), & have 2 beautiful girls, 14 & 5,(I know big age difference, but just the way it worked out)& one of those DH things. I have never taken any decorating classes, always wanted to, but can never find the time (1 hour away). I am pretty much teaching myself from trial and error,& learning loads of stuff from the CC members thumbs_up.gif. This site is great. I have been sneaking around in here since August, and you ladies (& gents) do some awesome work. I only wish I was as good as some of you. I love to bake cupcakes and take them to my childrens school, and that is sort of how it all started for me. For my little ones 4th B-day, the lady that always made my cakes was out of town so I had to find someone else. My DH suggested that I just make cupcakes and be done. NO WAY, not for my babies b-day. I decided that I would try my hand at a cupcake cake. She was having a "Care Bear" party, so I decided that I would make a rainbow and clouds with toys on top. She likes the mini cupcakes, so I used those. I am not sure how many it took, but it was huge. I bought all of the things that I needed and got started. It was absolutely beautiful and she loved it. She didn't want anybody to take a cupcake away from it. I think I do mine different than the ones that I have seen here. Instead of icing the whole top smooth like a cake and then doing the design on top, I make the design with the cupcakes and then ice them that way. It takes longer, but I like that look better. My oldest daughters b-day was next and she wanted "Spongebob", so I did a spongebob out of cupcakes, complete with sponge holes. Cupcakes has been my big thing,but my baby sister was getting married and nothing would do except for me to make her cake. No way not gonna do it! yeah right, she wouldn't hear it.It came down to bake time and I was way too nervous, after all this was her wedding, HELLO!! I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the icing smooth, (never done a cake before), so my mom got a lady to ice the cakes smooth (3 tiers) and then I added the decorations. I know, not right but what else could I do, she (baby sister) is bigger than I am. (Ha!Ha!) She wanted purple sheer ribbon around the bottom w/real flowers on top. So...I put sheer ribbon around the bottom little dots all over cake (swiss dots maybe?) and flowers on top. She did not want the traditional cake topper, (well she sort of did but my mom wouldn't let her use the one where the bride is dragging the groom by the collar)so I made the initial out of wire and beads. Her colors were sage green and lavendar, so beads on wire were green stones with pearls in between. I put a different flower that she picked on each tier, with the purple ribbon on the bottom (with straight pins through pearl beads to hold ribbon on cake, matched pearls in initial). She fell in love with it and everybody thought it was beautiful. No one could believe that I did it. Yes, I did tell them the truth, someone else did the icing and I decorated it. But you will be pleased to know that I was alos asked to do my nephews groom cake, and I did it all, baking, icing and everything. It turned out good, I found flaws with it but he thought it was great. So from now on I will be making all of our cakes and I guess the rest of the families also. I will be trying a 16th b-day cake this weekend and then a bikini cake on Tuesday for my dad's b-day. So wish me luck. And I am sorry this is so long, but I wanted to tell my story. (You can't get up and walk away, and if you do, I won't know it.) icon_wink.gif I have pictures of all of my cakes that I have done, just gotta get them posted. Thanks for listening. ~Suzie~ icon_razz.gif

27 replies
ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 28

Welcome Suzie. You have found an amazing place to learn and share. This site is absolutely addicting. Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait to see some pictures!

-Penny

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 28

Welcome to CC, Suzie! Seems to me you are off to a great start with your decorating, we will be looking forward to seeing your pictures! Have a great time here! Janice

ladybugs2 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 28

Thanks Penny & Janice. This is what I mean, you guys are so nice. I am doing another NO,NO though, posting at work. Well, I don't have a computer at home. Not yet!!! Will get one!!!!

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 28

Welcome, Suzie! This place is addicting! (I'm doing a no-no, too, so you're not alone!) Can't wait to see your cakes!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 28

Welcome Suzie, we are glad to have you... just don't get busted posting at work! icon_lol.gif Of course... if you got fired you could just do cakes all day!! icon_razz.gif Teasing! I wouldn't suggest that as a plan! hahahahah!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 28

Suzie,

Welcome to Cake Central!! You really will learn so much here. There are so many fabulous cake decorators, bakers and true artists on this site. And so many are willing to help in any way they can. It really is wonderful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Cindy

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 28

Hi Suzie!! Welcome... icon_smile.gif

I started out a lot like you! I was a teacher and stayed home with my two small boys and made their cakes at home just for fun...nothing fancy, just cake and icing. My younger sister got engaged and insisted that I do her wedding cake. Yikes! icon_surprised.gif She loved how my cakes tasted...so I figured I was already half way there, right?? icon_lol.gif

So I signed up for a class that was an hour and 15 minutes away (one way) and that was all she wrote! That was 7 years ago.

Best of luck to you with your cake future...and welcome aboard!! thumbs_up.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 28

Welcome and GO DAWGS!!!! I'm from Georgia too!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 28

Welcome aboard! But how 'bout them GATORS! My daughter goes to UF and of course I'm live here in Jacksonville, home of the big party this weekend.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 28

GO Tennessee! Just kidding, I know there is a huge rivalry but I have no feelings either way, I'm too new here in Tennessee to have an opinion and I lived in Georgia for 3 years before this, so I'm more in favor of the Dawgs. LOL

Anyway, my name is Rachel and I'm 25. I just moved to Chattanooga, TN - so I'm practically in Georgia anyway!

Rachel

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 28

Welcome and where in Georgia are you? I am in Conyers.

Sandy

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 28

Welcome! I am also new here and I just started making cakes and I am definitely addicted. BTW I post at work allll the time...like right now for instance.. it adds a little sunshine to the accounting world icon_cool.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 28

just wanted to say "WELCOME!"

enjoy yourself here!

melody

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 28

UCLA

Welcome, nice to know the person behind the posts. Thanks for sharing.

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 28

Hi Suzie...Loved your story!...and that you found us here. I love this site as well and everyone is so willing to help that is like they are all in your kitchen with you. Happy Baking!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 28

Welcome!!! You will love it here and learn a ton!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 28

WOOO-HOOOO!! Go... um... team!! Yah!! Kick the butts of...er... that other team! You know, the one we don't like! Yah! Woooo! Yay for...uhhhh... that sport... you know... with the ball! YAY!

icon_cry.gif Im just trying to fit in!! It's not my fault that I'm NOT Sporty Spice! Be gentle! icon_cry.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif Cripes... who let her in this thread, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 28

Welcome to CC...and GOOOOO Gatorssssssssss!! Seriously, this is about cake decorating and I'm glad you support your home team! Are ya'll going to the game?

Don't give up with your decorating. Do as much as you can every chance you get. You'll get better and better and it gets "funner and funner"

jinxy543210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jinxy543210 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:24pm
post #20 of 28

Hey Suzie, Columbus GA here, and as for posting at work, I feel it is totally acceptable on your legally mandated 15 min breaks, and while I'm sure I take more breaks than any mandate would imply, I get more work done making my occasional post than trying to go a whole day without this site and trying to remain productive at the same time... Withdrawals are tough, let me tell you

ladybugs2 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:02pm
post #21 of 28

I am originally from Cuthbert, but I was transplanted to Fort Gaines when I got married.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:13pm
post #22 of 28

Welcome to our addiction.!!!
And I am sorry but I just can't help it.

Roll Tide!

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #23 of 28

welcome!!

ladyvader01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyvader01 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 6:02pm
post #24 of 28

Welcome!! It's great here, and so very addicting!!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 7:56pm
post #25 of 28

Welcome Suzie!!! You will learn soooo much on this site - everyone here is amazing!!!

Noreen - I'm an accountant too and the days go but so much faster with CC........somedays I think I spent more time doing CC "work" than actual work icon_surprised.gif Oh well, as long as the accounting gets done thumbs_up.gif

~Chelle

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 28

Noreen and chelle...I am an accountant too. Debits and credits just don't hold a candle to CakeCentral, eh?

Sandy
Assistant Controller (zzzzzzzz)

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:22am
post #27 of 28

I would much rather deal with cakes and frosting than debits and credits!!!! In a few months (tax season) I'll wish I had the time and energy to spend on decorating!

I wonder how many of us cake decorators are also accountants.....they are at different ends of the spectrum! Despite how agrivated I somtimes get at the cakes (I've been known to scream and yell at them) I actually find decorating relaxing!!!

~Chelle

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:35am
post #28 of 28

Hi Suzie, welcome. Isn't this an awesome place to come?!! I'm pretty new also and I can tell the bug has bitten you. And....the more you stay on CC, the more obsessed you will become. LOL

I'm in GA also, the big metropolis of Byron....NOT.

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%