Fondant!

Decorating By brit13 Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 5:59pm by mmgiles

brit13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brit13 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:14am
post #1 of 4

so everytime i go to cover my cake with fondant they looks amazing at first then i guess after 15 20 minutes it looks like the cake is starting to settle becuase the fondant starts to almost blowout like a big bubble around the cake! why is this! also know matter how thick i make the fondant u can always see where my 2 cake layers come together! should i just use more buttercream?? help! here is an example of the fondant...
LL

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:54am
post #2 of 4

I think you're not letting the cake settle. Torte (if you do that), fill, wrap the cake and let it sit. I let mine sit 24 hours. When ready to frost, give the cakes a gentle smoosh down with your hand. (I put a cardboard on the top of the cake first to distribute the weight of the gentle push. Then remove the cardboard.) Then frost and decorate. The bc underneath the fondant should be just a bit more than a crumbcoat/smear.

Also, you really need the bottom plate/board to be at least 2" larger than the bottom cake and 4" is easier to handle.

brit13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brit13 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 4

oo thank you so much! no i dont let the cake sit at all after i fill it! i always fill it then crumb coat then let it have a quick chill in the fridge before i cover it in fondant! thank you so much! and for the under plate! i was so mad! the morning of the wedding the bride calls me and says...o yea its 200 people instead of 125! so i had to make the bottom layer bigger then it was at first and i didnt have time to go buy another bottom! NOT VERY FUN! but thanks again!!!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 4

Are you doweling each tier? It seems like maybe the weight of the cake is causing the fondant to mush out. Are you using buttercream under your frosting? Just making sure. If you can see where your layers come together it might be that they arent perfectly alligned in the begining. You may be able to fix this before adding the fondant by trimming or smoothing your buttercream underneath until you cant see this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%