Chocolate Fondant? Can I Make It?

Decorating By MissSherry Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 4:08am by Cakepro

MissSherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSherry Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:00am
post #1 of 3

Please forgive me if this has already been posted but I am new to this site and there is SO much information...if anyone can help me find this I would be so grateful.

My first attempt at fondant was using the Wilton premade stuff and it was the most disgusting tasting stuff ever. I am making a mini wedding cake that will be decorated with brown fondant scrolls and leaves and I would like to make it with chocolate fondant. Is there a way I can make it at home, or is there a brand I can purchase? This cake isn't until 9/9 so I have time to order it...but I really want to make it. The main thing is the taste - it just has to taste better than the premade crap from Wilton! I am going to a bridal shower where EVERYONE is invited to bring a cake, and I want mine to be the best. LOL (best looking AND tasting!)

2 replies
cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:07am
post #2 of 3

1 pk. (14 oz) Dark Cocoa Candy Melts
1/2 c. light corn syrup

Melt candy melts according to package directions Add corn syrup, stir to blend. Turn mixture out onto waxed paper; let stand at room temp to dry and harden several hours. Wrap well and store at room temp until ready to continue with recipe.

Knead small portions of candy mixture until soft and pliable. Knead softened mixture into fondant until smooth and evenly colored. If darker color is desired, knead in brown icing color.

I have never done this but there is a recipe on here to do this with the Wilton ready to use Fondant. I would assume you could do it with any fondant though! HTH

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:08am
post #3 of 3

Toba Garrett's chocolate fondant recipe is heavenly! It tastes like a big Tootsie roll, and is wonderful to work with. You can find the recipe on this site by searching (I'm too lazy to).

Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%