3D Cake..how Much To Charge?

Decorating By enthb Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 12:17am by enthb

enthb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enthb Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:39am
post #1 of 8

I just started trying to make cakes a month or so ago and now have people approaching me to make cakes for special occassions. One cake I made was a 3D turtle and someone wanted me to recreate for them. Here is a picture of it. It took me quite a while to make it. To give you an idea, the board it is on is 16". How much would you charge for this. I have never sold a cake before. Thanks in advance.
LL

7 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:08am
post #2 of 8

welcome to cake central!

What size cake did you use to start with? Did you carve it or did you start with the shape?

I start 3D cakes like this at $3/serving. It could be more if fondant/ fillings/ or a lot of detail was involved. I use a serving size of 1"x2"x4" to figure pricing.

HTH

oh and very cute cake!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

Not much help on the how much, sorry. I did want to tell you what a cool looking turtle that is! thumbs_up.gif That's all cake, and is that all BC? Great job!

enthb Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #4 of 8

I started with 4 9" round cakes around 2" in depth and its carved. Its chocolate cake covered with fondant. The head and the body are cake with the legs and tail made of fondant. Also, used fondant to build up the raised places in the shell.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:20am
post #5 of 8

That is awesome! If you have only been doing this for a month, you have some major raw talent!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:18am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthb

I started with 4 9" round cakes around 2" in depth and its carved. Its chocolate cake covered with fondant. The head and the body are cake with the legs and tail made of fondant. Also, used fondant to build up the raised places in the shell.

For 4 - 9" round cakes I get total of 62 servings. (yes I know that some of this gets carved away, but you want your customer to pay for that b/c you still had to make it-in a lot of manufacturing it is called scrap, in my field it is called drop, someone has to pay for it and you don't want to)

So I would have a starting price of $186.00, but depending on your recipe and what fondant you used, it may need to be more than that. This price would be with only buttercream filling and my basic cake flavors.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:53am
post #7 of 8

i don't do 3D cakes no less than $50.00. the most i've charged was $75.00.
i don't charge by the serving, but by the time and effort and supplies needed to make the cake. icon_lol.gif

enthb Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the replies. Now I atleast have some idea.

cassi: Yeah, i've just started trying cakes. I made my first cake in July when i couldnt find a hello kitty cake locally for my wife's birthday. So i figured i'd make it myself. I mean, how hard could it be? Ive seen ace of cakes several times, lol. So i bought some fondant and made it. Since then i've made three more with marshmellow fondant that i made myself. The third one is on my gallery and this is the fourth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%