Moist Chocolate Cake?

Baking By flavacakes Updated 26 Jan 2016 , 6:49am by Pastrybaglady

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 21

I am looking for a moist, fudgy chocolate cake. Does anyone have any suggestions?? detective.gif
I'm also searching for a chocolate buttercream. I tried adding the cocoa powder to regular buttercream, but I didn't really like it.

20 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 21

I usually use the DH Devil's Food cake mix, added egg, and box of devil's food pudding. You can subsitute buttermilk for water. It is my favorite chocolate cake, always moist, but I'm I don't know if it is fudgy.

For chocolate icing, I always add in melted chocolate to my regular buttercream recipe. I have uses the Baker's Chocolate Squares, chocolate chips and even Witlon Candy Melts.

How much you add depends on how chocolately you want it to be. I like it really chocolately.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 21

Cake Mix Doctors Darn Good Chocolate Cake is awesome! Devils food cake, chocolate pudding AND chocolate chips. PM me if you need the recipe.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 21

Hi, there is a recipe on this site, I think it came out of Mix Doctor book, it is called Darn Good Chocolate Cake!! Is is very very good!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 21
flavacakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 21

Thank you guys so much! I can always depend on CC!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

flavacakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 21

I know there are alot of fillings that go good with chocolate cake, but do you have any suggestions for a filling that is super good with chocolate cake? icon_biggrin.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 21

I really like this chocolate icing recipe. I think I use butter instead of margarine though.

1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, beat margarine and cocoa together until combined. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Adjust with more milk or confectioners' sugar if necessary.

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 21

I like either bavarian creme or raspberry but that is just me.
I also use the DH devils food cake mix and use buttermilk instead of water and add a devils food pudding to it. It is YUMMMY!

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 21

If you're looking for a cake from scratch, I like Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake. It's really quick to make and super moist!
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184&page=1&per=10&keyword=perfectly%20chocolate

I've made it with BC, whipped cream and chocolate mousse.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 21

Since I read (somewhere) that cocoa powder dries the cake out even more, I melt 1/4c of Hershey's chocolate pieces and add it to the cake mix. I use milk in place of water and butter in place of oil.

Hope this helps.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavacakes

I know there are alot of fillings that go good with chocolate cake, but do you have any suggestions for a filling that is super good with chocolate cake? icon_biggrin.gif

I like raspberry or strawberry preserves. There is also always caramel or dulce de leche. Or you could use a thick hot fudge (ice cream) sauce.

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 21

I like Nutella as a filling for chocolate cake. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 21

I just did a chocolate cake the other day, (same recipe as TexasSugar!) and I made a Kahula custard filling for it, and iced it with Mocha frosting. My daughter says she now has a new favorite cake combo! icon_biggrin.gif If you want the Kahlua filling, just let me know.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray75

If you're looking for a cake from scratch, I like Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake. It's really quick to make and super moist!
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184&page=1&per=10&keyword=perfectly%20chocolate

I've made it with BC, whipped cream and chocolate mousse.

I made this cake for the first time the other week. It was delicious! My mother said it was the best chocolate cake she's ever had...and that was with NO icing!

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 21

Yea tell me about it! You can't go wrong with it! Whenever someone wants chocolate I always use this one.

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:58am
post #17 of 21

My family prefers the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake as well. It's wonderful. And for an extra dark chocolate, use the special dark cocoa. It's also VERY good and rich with Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting.

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 21

I can't believe no-one suggested chocolate mud cake... I make it (using a recipe I found on YouTube- bakelikeapro) and have adapted it to be gluten free and use dairy free soya or sunflower margarine instead of butter. It is the fugdiest most chocolatey delicious cake and lasts for simply ages. I use it for wedding cakes untorted, or I've just discovered I can cook it in layered tins. (Cutting gf cake is a nightmare cos it's so terribly crumbly..!)

I've never used a packet mix for cake making...I'm always amazed at anyone who does! 

As for filing...chocolate chocolate chocolate thank you. Ganache, or SMBC with melted chocolate or ganache mixed in is go to.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 21

I like Earleen Moores' choc cake...my customers like it, too

annie1992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie1992 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 2:21am
post #20 of 21

Like Ray, Madi and April, I like the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake.   Like gfbaby, I seldom use cake mixes, although my youngest daughter likes them better than scratch cakes.

I also like Nutella for filling, but my favorite with chocolate cake is homemade raspberry jam.  I've also made a chocolate/sweet cherry jam that was pretty good too.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 6:49am
post #21 of 21

I like Hershey's Black Magic cake and coffee flavored Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%