Any Ideas For A Chuch Dinner Large Sheet Cake?

Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 4:59am by JaneK

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 10

I want to keep the design and colors simple yet let everyone know that I can decorate cakes... does that sound bad? Here are my ideas to this point:

1: Basket weave top with oval or rectangle with pale fall flowers in the middle.
2: Simple shell border with just the chuch logo and name in the middle. Maybe a white on white design... Not at all sure about the colors for that one.
3: Simple dot border with tip 12 or similar and do the oval or rectangle with the chuch mascot and name in the middle with some flowers flanking each side. No ideas on color here.
4: something with Ivory base and the name/logo in the middle surrounded by the cornelli (?spell) lace.

HELP!!! I'm at a loss. This will be the biggest cake I've done. The pan is 13 X 19. Any ideas you have would be great. Thanks!!

- Paula

9 replies
mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 10

i'm lazy and sheet cakes are not my forte so i would probably do #2. especially on such a large cake. but i do like the ideas of some plae colored flowers.

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 10

I like your ideas. I do like #1 the best since its simple and it gives you the oppurtunity to also show your skills. Since you'll be doing a little of everything. Good luck icon_smile.gif

LmLBuddy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLBuddy4 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 10

The most important thing about any church function with food (I know from experience) is that it taste the best it possibly can. While people are likely to compliment your decoration, they are far more likely to fawn over your cake's taste. (Again, I know this from experience) icon_smile.gif

I think using the church logo is a great idea. It shows that you can personalize cakes to the occasion/person. I like the idea of the logo in the middle. The type of border can depend on your age group. I tend to think the dot border seems a little "younger" and "hip" while the shells are more stately. Maybe that's just my personal opinion...

Anyway, I hope this helps a little!

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 10

your church has a MASCOT??? lol. I wish my church was that hip! SOrry.. had to put in my two cents..... i had a vision of Wally the green HOLY monster! icon_eek.gif
anyway, the cake, i like the logo idea on the cake. It shows that you can personalize things (which i like to do as much a possible anyway!) and if it has the "wow" facotr of taste.... you may swing some big business from this! icon_smile.gif

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks to all so far...

Ok, as for the flavor of the cake,... any suggestions? I've not really thought much about that. I've usually just used a basic yellow boxed cake mix and added a little vanilla or almond. Any suggestions????

Thanks!

- Paula

PS the mascot really came from Italy in St. Mark's Square with the flying lion atop the column there. Thus our (didn't know what to call him exactly) design on a lot of things is this winged lion. Also we've got our denomination logo.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 10

I apologize, paula. i hope i didnt sound rude or crass. I am very involved in my own church and now that you mention it, i guess we have an "icon". it's a shield..... but it might not be a "st. Paul" thing... it might be a denomination thing.... not sure. anyway, right now, a popular cake for me to make is white chocolate with rasp. filling. secnond in line to that is a layer of vanilla and a layer of chocolate. pleases everyone!

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 10

No problem, I didn't think a thing. It was sort of weird to have a mascot for a church but I didn't know what else to call it.

Anyway, Is there a recipe in the recipes section for that white chocolate? (I LOOOOVE white chocolate.) If you want to share you can e-mail me at [email protected] I was also thinking a spice cake but sometimes keeping in basic is better ??? I don't know what to make . I usually do marble for a lot of the kids.

Thanks!

- Paula

stlalohagal Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:45am
post #9 of 10

OK - IT IS FINISHED!!!

You can check out the photo under my photos. It's not at all what I thought I'd do. I had a lot of troubles. First my very hot oven almost burnt the poor thing. Then I got it iced and bordered and crusted... etc etc. and went to lay on a piping gell transfer to then do my church mascot/logo for UCC and then I lifted it away and almost all the piping gel pulled right off with it. I gently smoothed it back down, went over all my lines again, and peeled away again. Same thing. I guess I left it crust to long. ???? So I smothed the top,.. now mind you I've already done my border, and yep!! I smudged it but it was easily repairable as you can see. I was then thinking about the basket weave top then but didn't have enough icing ready so I started making flowers not exactly sure where or what I was going to do with them. I colored a second small batch for roses but the icing was too thick and I didn't feel like messing with it so I just left them all burgundy and added the grapes! Voila!

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions/comments. Kellie, thanks again too for the white chocolate cake recipe. I hope everyone enjoy's it.

- Paula

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:59am
post #10 of 10

I saw your cake and then found this post...you did a fabulous job!!! Colours and decoration beautiful!
I admire anyone who can do sheetcakes and make them look wonderful thumbs_up.gif

I bet everyone loves it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%