Hello Kitty For A 12 Year Old??????

Baking By heidinamba Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 1:51pm by JenWith

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:42am
post #1 of 29

I'm going to be making cookies for a girl's 12th birthday party. They are going to be handed out as party favors. I've seen so many cute Hello Kitty cookies on this site and they look like fun to make. I would have to make my own cutter but that would be no problem. BUT, I want to know -is Hello Kitty too childish for a 12 year old girl? I see older girls in the Sanrio shop but I'm not sure if they are really into it or shopping for someone else. The mother of the girl wants me to decide what shape and colors to make so I wanted to be creative.

So what do you think? Would the 12 year old like Hello Kitty?

28 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #2 of 29

Did the mom mention Hello Kitty? If not, I would maybe do daisies or purses or shoes. My youngest stepson is 13 and the girls in his age-range seem very "grown" to me unfortunately; however, I have seen girls that are 17, 18, etc., who are really into Hello Kitty. I would ask the mom what she is currently interested in.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #3 of 29

I'm 31, and I like Hello Kitty...lol.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:49am
post #4 of 29

A girl is never too old for Hello Kitty! thumbs_up.gif

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:51am
post #5 of 29

I just ask my 11 year old daughter and she says " YES"

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:56am
post #6 of 29

My good friend's daughter (20 ys. old and in college) is sooo into Hello Kitty. She has her room at home AND her dorm decorated in Hello Kitty, ie. her bedding, toaster, tv, bathroom etc.
I'm sure her mom knows what she likes thumbs_up.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:56am
post #7 of 29

I agree with southerncake, ask the mom. My dd is 12 and waffles between maturity and childish (as most 12 yo do), but she thinks Hello Kitty is for babies. She does like the flowers and other things, and she thinks Hello Kitty is cute, but for "little girls".

Kathi

heidinamba Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:58am
post #8 of 29

thanks guys! I'm 40 and I also still love Hello Kitty and I've heard that Hello Kitty has recently become even more popular. I see it everywhere. I'm thinking I might go with it unless I get lots more replies that say not a good idea.

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:07am
post #9 of 29

I am 25 and I love care bears, I even collect them. lol It's never too late to be a child.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:18am
post #10 of 29

My college roommate was obsessed with Hello Kitty. I'd say it just depends on the girl. When I was in high school I had my bedroom covered in Disney character stuff....Mickey, Minnie, etc. Sometimes it's cool for bigger kids to like littler kid stuff.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:45am
post #11 of 29

My DD just turned 15 -- she said Hello Kitty is for little kids, not 12 year old girls. I agree as before, a 12 yr/o will be grown up one day & little the next! What about making a Present cake if you are unsure or if the Mother doesn't know? I gave my DD a present cake on her 12 yr/o b-day and she absolutely LOVED it. She said it made her feel so grown up!

HTH!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

My good friend's daughter (20 ys. old and in college) is sooo into Hello Kitty. She has her room at home AND her dorm decorated in Hello Kitty, ie. her bedding, toaster, tv, bathroom etc.

My DD is 20 and loves Hello Kitty...I am making her some cookies to take to college this week. But I would check with the Mom.

GI Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

My DD is 20 and loves Hello Kitty...I am making her some cookies to take to college this week. But I would check with the Mom.

Girls at 12 want to be "grown up" more sometimes....a 20 yr/o girl wants to be "little" sometimes...So 12 yr/o versus 20 yr/o just thinking differently during these stages. So do indeed ask the Mom for her daughter's 'favorite.' A 12 yr/o is Middle School age? 6th graders here are in Middle School. They like to think of themselves as "big" -- ha ha -- walk, talk, and act like they are so "all that"!! And if the cake is for a party with friends over, the Hello Kitty might be embarrasing for her...just a thought...

Personally, I like the shoes/purse idea because usually 12 yr/o are really into shopping!!!

HTH

Have fun making it!! Do let us know what you've decided. icon_biggrin.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 29

I would ask the mom for several of the daughter's favorites, along with asking about Hello Kitty. Then maybe you can make several types of cookies to match her favorite things.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 29

Give her HELLO KITTY.....My daughter is 16...and the kitty is BACK. So many of the girls are even wearing hello kitty jewelry and t=shirts these days. Mom should know. thumbs_up.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 29

I did a Hello Kitty cake for a 19 year old - and my 11 year old wants Hello Kitty for her party too. Hello Kitty is an icon now! hahahahaha

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 29

My 10 year old says NO! hello kitty is for babies!!!
ask the Party girl!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 29

my daughter in law loves hello kitty, she's 24.

alot of rock stars like lisa lobe love the kitty, she is very trendy,

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 29

I misread the original post and didn't realize that the girls mom had not asked for Hello Kitty. I agree with the others that I wouldn't assume it would be okay for a girl her age without checking with the mom first. The girl may love Hello Kitty, or she may hate it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 29

Both my 31 year old daughter and 39 year old daughter-in-law are heavily into Hello Kitty stuff. In fact, I just made my daughter a Hello Kitty birthday cake. icon_biggrin.gif

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:06pm
post #21 of 29

I would definitely ask Mom - 12 yr olds really vary, and you do not want to be wrong about this. As PP said, if the girl thinks Hello Kitty is babyish, she could be very embarrassed by having Hello Kitty cookies at her party. I'd ask her mom to be on the safe side, or pick something you could be more certain about her liking (I love the purse idea).

Also, is this party only girls? If not that would be something to think about too, when picking a cookie design...

GI Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #22 of 29

Another idea -- perhas the 12yr/o likes "Bratz" theme -- some girls do, some don't. When you have a "tween" like this, its best to find out from the mom. Good luck!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #23 of 29

heh, heh - I couldn't resist...Hello Kitty Darth Vader!

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovescakes

I just ask my 11 year old daughter and she says " YES"

I'm sorry, but what my dd meant was that YES IT IS TO CHILDISH FOR A 12 YEAR OLD, that she would be imbarresed.
around this age they really try to look and act "grown-up..so in my opinion I think you should try to ask the mother what her dd's favorite thing are or I would just do like purses , make up, cell-phones cookies, etc..

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #25 of 29

Pass on the Hello Kitty, ask the mom and if you don't want to ask, I would go with shoes, purses or makeup for a 12 yo. I think HK is too young for her UNLESS you know she would like it. I personally, at 34, don't like Hello Kitty. I did when I was 8-9 when she was popular the first time around 20+ years ago but not now.

Ask the mom or think of another idea.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #26 of 29

Hello Kitty is great for that age or any age

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #27 of 29

11yr old daughter says no it is for little kid.
I would ask mom for daughters favorite things.
Hannah Montana, and High School Musical are big.
Maybe if she likes these things you could do a microphone or cd's

heidinamba Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #28 of 29

I ended up asking the mother what she thought about the Hello Kitty suggestion. She said NO to Hello Kitty and then suggested dresses, shoes, purses etc. So I planned on making dresses but then the 12 year old birthday girl emailed me and said she wanted cupcake cookies! I posted them today in the gallery. I delivered them and the b'day girl and the mother loved them.

thanks for all the input! I would have not asked if you guys wouldn't have suggested it.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:51pm
post #29 of 29

HOORAY!! I'm glad you asked and the 12 yo got the cookies she wanted. They look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%