Cake Dummies?

Decorating By ckkerber Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm by shapeinnovation

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:23am
post #1 of 12

I would like to order some cake dummies so I can practice some techniques without having to make (and eat) any cake. I saw some online that I was going to order and was a bit confused by the description. It said they were usable AND washable. I thought the only way to reuse them was to cover them with saran or something first . . . is it possible to use them without covering them and then to be able to reuse them? I just didn't think of styrofoam as washable.

Also, does anyone have a good / inexpensive site for cake dummies?

Thanks!
Carol

11 replies
ceolivari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceolivari Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #2 of 12

I ordered mine from www.dallas-foam.com. I've used the buttercream directly on it and washed it off. It's the same as washing a styrofoam plate. I hope this helps!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #3 of 12

They are washable, but it seems like when you wrap them, you lengthen their life....hope that makes sense!

The dallasfoam website has really good prices. I'm thinking there was a min. amount to order, but it didn't apply to the dummies....might have to check into that.

I wrapped mine in glad press n seal. It's very durable and I can scrape the practice icing back into the bowl (to practice with again, later) and then rinse the wrapped dummy off with my sprayer. But, others wrap with glad wrap,etc. and then just remove & throw it away when they're done and wrap the cake again......easy cleanup, lol!

heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:35am
post #4 of 12

I went to Walmart's craft department. I picked out the sizes I wanted and wrapped them in contact paper. All I had to do is wipe and go again. Plus if you are wanting to practice sculpting some thing it might be cheaper to go with Walmart or some other place.

Happy Baking,
Michelle

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:06am
post #5 of 12

I like to shrink wrap mine. I just buy the shrink wrap for baskets and use that. I think you can buy it in a roll also. It's nice because you can get it on really tight and wrinkle-free.

mshotcakes2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mshotcakes2u Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 12

A company that supplies Publix with their cake dummys is called Shape Formation. If you are looking for a good veriety you should check out their web site. They also sell floral items in which I purchase too. So far they have worked great for me and the weddings that I do.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #7 of 12

What is the Shape Formation website?

And if you don't have the shrink wrap, how do you keep the bubbles & creases out? I have a half ball shape I'm using and I have no idea how to cover it right.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #8 of 12

Cant' beat Dallas Foam prices. http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

They also do custom cuts and I was able to order the styro wedges for topsy turvy cakes ala Colette Peters for very reasonable prices.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #9 of 12

Ooh can you tell us more about those styrofoam wedges? What did they cost? Do you remember? Did you order them in some kind of specific size? How did you figure out the sizes? I think the topsy turvy cakes are cool and I'd like to try that idea - my other topsy turvy was a nightmare!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #10 of 12

I have used the styrofoam from Michaels many a times for cake dummies. I don't usually cover it and just soak the icing off when I am done with it.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

Ooh can you tell us more about those styrofoam wedges? What did they cost? Do you remember? Did you order them in some kind of specific size? How did you figure out the sizes? I think the topsy turvy cakes are cool and I'd like to try that idea - my other topsy turvy was a nightmare!

Based on Colette's book 'Cakes to Dream On', I ordered wedges that are 1" smaller than the tier above, 1/2" high on one side and 2" high on the other side. They cost less than $2 each, if I remember correctly. The cost varied for different size wedges.

shapeinnovation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeinnovation Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 12

Shape Formation has changed it's name to Shape Innovation, Inc. Website is www.shapeinnovation.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%