Fall Leaves Made From Gum Paste

Decorating By annacakes Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm by cakebabe

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 16

Looking for instructions on how to make fall leaves for an (October wedding cake) out of G.P. or Fondant/G.P. blend. Specifically oak leaves. Have lots of experience with G.P. but have never seen this info. anywhere. Like to practice a bit! Thanks all.

15 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 16

Just marble your colors together and cut them in the shapes. Put them in various paper towels to bend differnt ways. I just bought some from
www.avalondeco.com pretty cheap but they colors arent so great. I am going to air brush them. I bought then because I needed to make a 50 minimum. The customer service with them was great and I got them in one day. Wholesale pricing!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 16

I have made some without any cutters so if that is what you are looking for this is how I did it. I colored my gum paste as I would normally. This time I think I will definately marble the colors though. Then I pick some leaves from the tree, wash them very good and pat dry. I roll the leave on top of the gum paste and cut the imprint out with a knife. Then shape as you like. Then I brush them with a little luster dust and steam them for a nice shine.

If you have a oak leaf cutter, but no oak leaves around try and find a simular leaf with the same vein structure and press it.

Hope that helps - good luck.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you for the excellent advice.

I like the marbling idea and the steaming idea. I will try them both very soon.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 16

I highly recommend good cutters and double sided veiners. if you aren't making them o wires, you can churn out dozens of them very quickly with the right cutter and veiner. I would start them in a light yellow them dust to get the "fall" effect.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:25am
post #6 of 16

Where would i find veiners for the leaves? (Maple leaves)

Thanks,
Angie

rswals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rswals Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:43am
post #7 of 16

Hi,
I'm fairly new to gum paste. What do you mean when you say you steam the leaves?

Thanks,
Rox

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 16

steaming means putting through a quick jet of steam - like over your teakettle.

rswals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rswals Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #9 of 16

Thanks jmt - this is the first time have head about steaming. I am learning a lot of stuff from this site - I just love it!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

Thanks,
Angie

This may not be right, but I use a toothpick....

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:58am
post #11 of 16

ok this may shound stupid but i had never heard of steaming them before either...what does that do exactly?

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

Thanks,
Angie

when i needed a leaf veiner in a pinch i bought some leaf stamps at the scrap book section @ Michaels and they work great!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:18am
post #13 of 16

After coloring with powdered chalk or petal dust, steaming them sets the powder & gives a lovely shine. I have a very small pot that I use. I let it boil & wave the item over the steam. Do not do it for too long as then your gum paste will melt. My Thanksgiving Cornucopia was done this way, but I didn't want vivid colors, I wanted softness. The Cornucopia is in my photos. I use all sorts of things to vein with.

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 16

thanks superstar i will have to try that next time. and your leaves in your cornucopia are georgous!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 16

You are so welcome.

cakebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 16

Here are a couple that I have done. I just rolled my GP out fairly thin and then dried them on crumpled aluminum foil. After they dry I airbrush them on both sides. I usually airbrush them yellow and red and then over spray some of them with the other colors to make yellow-orange and red-orange. Then I use different luster and petal dusts to get the shades I'm wanting. HTHs

http://overthecake.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/leaves.jpg.w300h362.jpg

http://overthecake.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leaves3online.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%