Egg Whites

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 18 Jul 2005 , 5:38pm by aunt-judy

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 12:43am
post #1 of 10

Yesterday when grocery shopping I noticed (never had before) that in the dairy section a carton of all egg whites. Has anyone ever used this in recipes instead of serparating the yolks from the whites. Separting the eggs it seems like a waste because I usually throw out the yolks.

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:14am
post #2 of 10

Is seperating really a waste, when you take in to account the price of the whites that are seperated already.

But to answer you question, I haven't used those, but don't see why they wouldn't work the same as fresh whites.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 2:45am
post #3 of 10

I have used them and they worked fine. However, they can be a bit pricey.
traci

carolxyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolxyz Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:03am
post #4 of 10

have you tried powdered egg whites? wilton makes them and another brand is DebEl in the baking aisle. Another plus is they're pasteurized .

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:09am
post #5 of 10

No I haven't tried anything else, I just wondered how other egg products affected baking quailty if any. I can buy eggs cheaper than other products to use, I was just curious if anyone had tried these other egg products.

leffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leffie Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:11am
post #6 of 10

I buy the egg whites, and I find them very good.
They're pasteurized too.
I mainly use them for making Italian Meringue Buttercream, and just leave them until its room temp.
I have also frozen the cartons, and thawed them, and used it, and they were fine.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:41am
post #7 of 10

I feed the yolks to my dog.. just mix it right up in his food.. he LOVES 'em.. but he doesn't get all of them...
~Sweet~=0)

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:51am
post #8 of 10

I don't waste my yolks I make custard with them.

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 6:42am
post #9 of 10

I'm with Sweet Creations.....i give the yokes to the dog.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 10

most bakeries i worked in used liquid whole eggs and eggwhites in cartons. liquid egg white is very handy for people like me who make a lot of royal icing at christmastime for cookies, and don't have a dog around to help out with the yolks (my cat is generally quite useless in the kitchen, but he is good about keeping his distance during baking and decorating time).

also, as leffie mentioned, you can freeze egg white (either from fresh eggs, or the liquid in their handy cartons, which is handy, so you can buy them when they're on sale)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%