Bronwyn's Satin Covered Cake Boards

Decorating By cakeatty Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm by Christineh168

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 28

I've just been on her website and oh, hope to be like her when I grow up someday icon_smile.gif Does anybody know how to do her beautiful satin (or at least it looks like satin) covered cake boards? I need to be able to differentiate myself from some of the other local bakers and this might just do the trick! Thanks everybody!

27 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 28

Can you please share the web link? I'd love to check it out! icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 28

Ditto, I have looked everywhere for her online stuff. Is the website new?

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 28

www.frostedart.com

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks for the website! I am always looking for her web page too. She is my idol too.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 28

Her old site has been taken down. She works at Frosted art Bakery now.
http://www.frostedart.com/

They are easier than you think. I do pleated boards all the time for the bottom of my cakes. I just staple the fabric around the board. If I want it puffy I just add some fiber fill.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 28

I'm not sure how she does it but I would email her and ask! I emailed her once about classes I think and she was really sweet. You never know, she might help you!
Worth a shot,
Heather

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 28

My wife is enrolled to take classes with her in March at Caljava. She was here at Earlenes a couple of years ago, and we didnt get to go. B Kieth Rider is coming in November.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 28

are you talking about the poofy pleated sating thingies on the cake board?? I think earlene moore's site has directions you can order to make them!! www.earlenescakes.com

cigarHerb Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 28

Earlene has very good instructions. The bases are easy to make. If you treat them right they will last a long time. You can make the cover in any color to match the cake.

cakeatty Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 28

WOW ya'll! Thanks for all the instructions. For some reason I didn't get an email telling me I'd gotten any responses to my question and I didn't check back until this morning. Silly me!!! I should have known my CC family wouldn't let me down icon_smile.gif

cakeatty Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 28

Moydear77, I would assume that when you staple the fabric to the boards, you have to use masonite boards.

cakeatty Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 28

OKay, I think I'm just blind today. I've been on earlene's website and I can't find the instructions for the satin covered boards icon_sad.gif. Found some other great information on cake shows and cakes with drapes though! icon_smile.gif Can anybody tell me which part of her website I missed that has the directions in it? Thanks everybody!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 28

http://www.earlenescakes.com/store/instructions.html

if you scroll down you'll see them......it says puffy base instructions.......it costs $14.00

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 28

$14.00?!?!?!?!?!?! I guess because I'm not a professional, I think that's a lot. But I agree, they are beautiful and I can definitely see their place!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 28

I guess in our learning curve of life, very few pearls of wisdom are really truly free, just ask any starving college student......

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 28

Though I am not a starving college student, but a stay-at-home mom with a husband who works his tail off to keep it that way, I totally agree. Not much is truly free and anything worth having is worth working for---and paying for (since it WILL be an investment).

cakeatty Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:58pm
post #18 of 28

Thanks KHalstead! That's the one place I didn't look on her site. LickDaBowl, I agree with you on the price but I figure if everybody wants instructions, it's probably easier to do it that way. Look out business expense account. Thanks everybody!!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeatty

Moydear77, I would assume that when you staple the fabric to the boards, you have to use masonite boards.

Masonite is pretty hard. I custom cut most of my boards ffrom pressed plywood.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 28

Doesn't the fabric get yucky from the cakes?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:29pm
post #22 of 28

to make a puff base you do not attach fabric to anything. The fabric is just a cover. Take a length of whatever color material you want about 12" inches wide, sew elastic into the two edges to make it look like a tire. Take your styrofoam and shape it to the size and shape you want. Place the styrofoam onto a peice of wood the same size as the bottom. Dont glue it, just sit it. Now take the material with elastic and wrap around the edge. The center of the styrofoam will be covered by the cake. If the material gets dirty, take it off and wash it. To shape styrofoam, use styrofoam. You can buy 2 sqaures glue the edges to gether. After the sits and the glue dries run a couple of dowels at an angle through the glued edges like for support. Run the dowel from one peice of styrofoam into the other. If you are looking sideways the 2 dowels would look like an X, but should be several inches apart. Start cutting the styrofoam down to size (say a circle) take one of the large peices that you cut off, and use it like a sanding block to shape the edges and finish you shape.

the_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the_cake_maker Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 28

Ok the puff base is not quite that simple as seweing elastic. You can get the puff base instructions from www.earlenscakes.com. It's easy to clean and no stapling, taping or gluing necessary. It's quite a nice base. You can also do it in square, oval and other shapes as well using the same bases.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:03pm
post #24 of 28

Doesn't the grease from the icing stain the fabric?

the_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the_cake_maker Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:08pm
post #25 of 28

No, the grease does not stain it if you buy the right type of fabric. Earlene has the type of fabric to buy on the instructions. I use my base a lot. It's very easy to clean. Once it's made, it will last for a long, long time. I have had mine for 3 years now and it still looks as good as new. I have never had a problem with anything coming out of the fabric. I do however, tell my brides NOT to wash it themselves. I want to do that myself.

Cigarherb, that's awesome that your wife gets to take a class from Brownwen. That's just awesome. I hope she has a great time. Bronwen seems like a great person.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:22pm
post #26 of 28

cigarHerb - Maybe I will meet your wife at Browen's class. I just paid for it on Monday.

cigarHerb Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:30pm
post #27 of 28

Cool, she will be the short one that talks alot. I hope she has a great time as well. I would pay tens times as much just to get her out of the house for some peace and quiet. She dosnt know it yet, but this is my anniversary present to her. Oh crap, she knows it now. icon_biggrin.gif

Christineh168 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christineh168 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm
post #28 of 28

Check out this website for a free tutorial for Puffy fabric covered base. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559342164XIfVAw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%