Tinting Buttercream Black

Decorating By Katrina745 Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 11:31pm by boxerlover1265

Katrina745 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 15

Can you use chocolate buttercream to get a better "true" black frosting. I tinted Royal black and it took so much to get it to a true black. There has to be an easier way!

14 replies
HeatherMari Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, always start with chocolate icing when you want a nice black. You still kind of need a lot of color but not nearly as much as with white. The only time I don't use chocolate for black is when I am coloring a small amount of icing that won't use a lot of color.

amodeoandrea Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 15

Yes chocolate is the best for black!

Katrina745 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you very much for your quick responses! I've got several halloween cakes in process and wanted to make sure before I got started today! I've always done regular buttercream and for some reason never even thought about using chocolate until yesterday!

Katskakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 15

As they said, start with chocolate BC. add black coloring mix and let it sit for a bit.

mgdqueen Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 15

You should have come here sooner! icon_biggrin.gif

bug101 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 15

I don't know what type coloring paste you are using but if you can find the americolor super black it works so much better than wilton. Just thought I would share that.

DiscoLady Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 15

Another idea: I sometimes buy a tube of the ready made stuff from the market. I use it as a starter or when I know I'm only going to need a little for some accents...If it's too stiff I add it to some of my buttercream. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Katrina745 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:18am
post #9 of 15

I actually had a small super black and it does work better, but I believe it came in one of those kits of 4, and the nearest cake supply is about 40 minutes from me. Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Joanne's does not carry the super black.

Thanks for all of ya'll's input! It has been a great help! And you are right, I should have come here sooner!!!!!

SweetChick Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 15

So is Americolor better than the Wilton colorings? I tried to do brown and black last night and ended up with gray and tan. But I did not want chocolate icing. Is there a way to get these colors without choc icing? And what about red. My husband came in and said that's a nice orange... icon_cry.gif
The only color I have managed to get the way I want is baby pink and that's it! icon_mad.gif

chaptlps Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 15

if your client doesn't want chocolate icing
here's another way to get black. First color your frosting with royal blue (deep) then color it with the black. Just remember also that buttercream gets darker as it oxidizes.
As for the red. here's a little trick I learned here on c.c. first dye your icing a deep pink, then... add the red. If it's still too pinkish add just a touch of yellow or orange to make it a nice fire engine red.
And yes, actually ANY professional coloring is going to be far better than wiltons (get bigger containers of it too).

SweetChick Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you so much for those tips. That is going to save me such frustration. I made a poker table cake and it was supposed to be red and black and couldn't get it right. Then the pink one was supposed to be pink and brown and I couldn't get a dark brown either. So it ended up pink and grayish black. Oh well icon_sad.gif

Katrina745 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:15am
post #13 of 15

Wow, these are great tips!!!! Thanks to all of you! I just got through doing a graduation cake with a grad hat and red writing. I love the Americolor super colors, but the hints from chaptlps are fantastic. I will keep that in mind next time! I love this website!!!!!

chaptlps Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:03am
post #14 of 15

Thank you hun!!!icon_biggrin.gif

boxerlover1265 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 15

OMG I am sooooo glad to have found this forum! These tips are amazing!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%