I was considering ordering some luster dust or pearl dust or some sort of dust to play with. But according to a certain website non of the above are edible. Well here is my question, why buy it if you can't eat it? Have any of you tasted it, have you heard anyone getting sick from eating it? The reason I ask is because I wanted to try that pink panties and bra cake, but I know my hubby he will want to eat the darn things just because he's a man and well I don't want him to eat it if it makes him sick.. Because then I might not get a massage..
Are there alternatives to a silky,shiny and glittery look without the upset stomach?
I've used them on cakes and molded chocolate. So far, no one has gotten sick or died. Some brands say edible some don't... even though they are all the same. I don't know.
You'll be just fine! Some Luster Dusts contain Blue Iron or Chromium Oxide and are therefore labeled " for decorative use only". Most of the Luster Dusts are developed for cake decorating and contain ingredients that are non-toxic and can be used with fondant or gumpaste. I think you and I had a little chat about gumpaste the other night!!! As for Petal Dust, I believe all colors are non-toxic and can be used with such things as fondant and gumpaste! So get started on that pink panty cake!! Hope this helps! Happy baking, MIssey
I will, believe me it will take me until Valentines day to finish it or ruin it.
Thank you ladies!!!!!!!
panties and bra cake? how do you make that, sounds interesting. I used the pearl dust on melted coating for the ladies at work and no one got sick or anything. I brushed it on a pink heart shaped candy box and filled the box with candy hearts. They loved it so much, but I think only one or two ladies actually ate them.
Dragonwarlord1969...here is the link to the bra & panty cake made by Cakesbysam. Great idea for Valentines Day, don't ya think?!
Happy baking, Missey
Thanks MrsMissey!!! that's great!
In the U.S.A., gold or silver and some dusts with the ingredients mentioned, are not allowed to be sold or if they are sold they must be labelled non-toxic but non-edible etc. The thing is, if you are using a dust meant for cake decorating, even the gold and silver are edible. It is just your F.D.A. ruling. In other countries these are indeed considered safe for consumption and decorators use them all the time. 24 K GOld Leaf is also edible, for gold to be edible it has to be 24K. I have eaten them all and am still kicking, haha!
Some products are not tested for use with food and therefore cannot have an F.D.A. stamp of approval on them.
The kind you do not want to use are any of the non-toxic glitters sold for craft use, not cake use. That is a different story. Some things are not dangerous because there are no lead paints used in their manufacture, but that doesn't mean you should eat them. It usually means that traces on your hands will not poison you.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes
check out www.earlenescakes.com, the site carries different types of edible cake dusts that are available for purchase. Not to mention she has some GORGEOUS cakes. She also has a lot of instructions on her site that you can read or purchase from her. Definetely worth checking out.