Ahhhh, What Have I Done, 20 12-Year Old Girls!!!

Decorating By sweetflowers Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 12:51am by candice1988

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 22

I agreed to do a cake decorating party for my best friends niece. I was just going to teach them some basic decorating on a couple cupcakes. Now it turns out she is having 20 (count 'em 20) girls at this party!!! icon_surprised.gif

I really would appreciate some help with ideas or tips on how to do this!!!I only know I'll have each girl decorate 2 cupcakes and we'll practice a little before (on what I don't know) I am at a total loss. Anyone ever done this?? I don't even know what 12-year old girls are like (I had all boys).

t

21 replies
dogwalkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwalkin Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 22

I would get some cardboard and cover it in maybe wax paper for them to practice on. Just teach them stars and stuff like that.

HTH!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 22

My daughter is 12. She loves making designs out of stars. She also loved making roses. She learned right away.
I would have them decorate sugar cookies. It might be easier to do on a flat surface. Then they can eat it.

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 22

I just did a birthday party last week with 10 yr olds. I got a lesson plan from wilton with some practice sheets as well. It worked out really well. I taught them some techniques and then they decorated cupcakes.

Heres the link to the website:
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/icingfunkidsproject/materialsandtips.cfm

Hope it helps!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 22

For the love of all that is holy, I am going to email you all my extra patience so that you might make it through this!!

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, have some pieces of card stock laminated as practice boards for them. (Otherwise give each girl a sheet of waxed paper and sit them down at a table or something.) You can then keep those cards and use them if you ever decide to do something like this again. (Really, it's fun, I swear!) Keep it simple so they don't get bored or frustrated, and ask them what they like... then try to tie that in. Roses are awesome but not everyone will catch on to that, so drop flowers and similar items like that might be a better way to go! Teach them a few basic moves, then let them play on the practice boards for a while, don't even bring out the cupcakes until they've messed around on the boards for a while, or this will go too fast and they won't pay attention to you. Once they see the cupcakes it's over. Then, when ready, pull out one set of cupcakes, then after they finish those tell them that they each get to do one more, but that it's a "Cupcake decorating show" and you will be giving out prizes. Do things like 'most colors used' and 'tallest icing' and try to avoid things like 'best decorated'. This is just for fun and don't want any hurt feelings. icon_wink.gif You are going to be tired when it's over, but I think you will be pleased! Oh... take LOTS of sprinkles and dragees... things like that to make the cupcakes sparkly! They love that stuff!!!

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 22

Great link candice1988 I didnt knoe they had a link like that. thumbs_up.gif

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 22

Great link candice1988 I didnt know they had a link like that. thumbs_up.gif

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 22

Ahhh....... 20 preteen girls icon_smile.gif I commend you for taking this on. First I reccomend you take a flask filled with your favorite "BEVERAGE" icon_wink.gif then keep it hidden under your apron until needed! icon_lol.gif
Seriously though,make sure you have plenty of BC frosting made up, already colored etc.. try to have enough bag's, coupler's and tip's on hand. I would try to divide them up in small groups at some table space with some wax paper for them to decorate on making sure each group has bag's filled with frosting and different tip's, then demontrate and instruct them on which tips to use to frost, how to make star's , dot' flowers etc. Make sure to have another mom their to help out and keep things running smoothly. Good luck!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 22

I did a cake decorating class for a girlscout troop as a fundraiser. We had about 25 girls. I prepared & iced in white bc 25 6"rounds.Then taught them a few basic techniques they could practice with before doing it on the cakes. I set up several types of sprinkles, sugars, etc. and let them go. They loved it! Tip: you can purchase inexpensive 8 x 10 size plexiglass at Home Depot or Lowes to use as practice boards.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 22

I teach wilton c.d. and have many times run classes called "Kakes 4 Kids". Provide 4 tips for each child. (may have to share with 20 kids!) #3, #16, #352 & #2D. With the #3 - dots, printing, writing, wavy line. #16 - stars, star-fill-in, zig-zag & tiny flowers (using tip 3 to put a centre). 352 - leaves and the 2D gives them a very satisfying flower or two. That's enough. I show them each skill, one at a time and let them practice on a sheet of waxed paper. When lessons over - they each decorate their cake or cupcakes. They love it.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 22

I did a sleepover baking party for my daughter one year. 18 girls. I purchased kids paper chef hats on-line and plastic aprons. I used disposable bags...each w/ a different tip on it. I used all different colors in the bags and pre-made and froze mini teddy bear cakes, bunnies, and topsy-turvy little mini cakes. These were the pans from wilton. They look like muffin pans only bigger, six designs on each pan. The girls had a blast! I also purchased little boxes for them to take their cakes home the next day. I gave them a lesson on the tips and how to use a bag...etc. before they began. What fun!!! Oh, I also put a finished one of each design out and then did one in front of them. icon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 22

ok being a big kid my self...this is fun.
What I would do if I were you to keep the chaos down to a minium. I would pick 2 designs, give them each two cc's (but as mentioned already the idea of mini topsy turvys would be really fun) to do. I would photo copy the designs for each child. I would give them each a "station" at that station I would have prefilled paper cones with the diffrent colors of icing they will need to complete their project. I would also do a pratice sheet at each station printed out from your computer taped to the table with a peice of waxed paper taped over it, and let them have at it. Maybe consder pre making some small fondant appliques and supply a small pile of each design at each station so that each child can use as she see's fit.
This could be comeplte madness or it could be a very organized fun afternoon.
As far as 12 year old girls...think pink, aqua blue, and glam thumbs_up.gif
Have fun with this

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 22

I did that for my daughter's 13th b-day and her 15 friends. We actually had a contest. We made a big mess with sprinkles and frosting and them we ate it and had sooooo much fun.

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 22

Go to Wilton.com click on Recipe and projects and in the gray boxes click on icing fun! ITS EVERYTHING YOU NEED!!!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 22

Bless your heart! What a fun challenge you are taking on.

I have a 12...nope, now 13 yr. old that I would love to do this with if she didn't live 1500 miles away. I can't give you anymore than what the others have already mentioned - sounds like they have great ideas. I just wish you the best and have a fun afternoon with them.

SMRturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMRturtle Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 22

Not sure the best way for you to do this- I used to teach painting and a handful of young girls.... that's quite the handful- not to menntion the sugar will make them more giddy!
Anyway, I was just tihnking that I was on the whimsical bakehouse's site the other day and she had this adorable video about making ladybug cupcakes- I think you might be able to pull that off with then- maybe use candy for the eyes and dots rather than icing bags.....

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 22

oooh fun!! I would do the three circle duff roses and BC leaves. Every kid knows how to play with playdoh! You could also buy a couple yards of the premium vinyl for them to use as mats. make copies of the practice pages in the wilton course 1 book.

Have fun

Chani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chani Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 22

I'm 12 and last year I took Wilton 1. Maybe you should do sitting clowns on cookies or cupcakes, with dots or stars going around. You can buy clown heads at AC More or Michaels usually. Or another idea is you can teach them simple drop flowers and do other fancy stuff like that. I suggest you don't do the Wilton rose. It can get very aggravating, it took me like 10 try to get one I liked. icon_lol.gif Good luck

Chani

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #19 of 22

Wow!!! icon_surprised.gif

What great ideas!! You guys are cracking me up with the jokes, and yes, my friend and I are going out right after to have margaritas!! icon_lol.gif

I'm actually looking forward to trying some of these suggestions! Thanks so much for all your help. I was panicking too much to think!

The party is Sunday night so I have a feeling I'll be 'sick' for work Monday thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again!

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 22

The Wilton icing fun is great for girls that age. You can just print the practice sheets and have them put wax paper over it. There is also a starter kit you can order from Wilton for $3.99 with a bag and tips.

Here's a link to some cute cupcake designs:
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/specialfeature/cupcake-finder-birthday/
You could print some of them to give them ideas.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #21 of 22

I can't find the thread, but someone else had done a cake decorating party for a group of kids. it was for her child so she had gone all out and bought aprons and personalized each one along with the chef hats etc...

But I think the best tip I have seen of people doing these is to use the plastic disposable bags, have them all prefilled with couplers on them and then heat seal the ends! This way it will help keep down the mess of everything coming out of the top of the bag. I have considered doing this for myself sometimes!

I know you will probably need more bags this way, but it should definitely help keep the mess down.

Make sure you take pictures of the creations to share with us! oh and enjoy that drink afterwards too!

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #22 of 22

When I did the party I just used the premade wilton tubes and that was easy and there was minimal mess. I also used the 4 pack of plastic tips and that was very convenient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%