I Finished The Castle Cake And Posted A Pic

Decorating By luv2grdn Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 8:50pm by luv2grdn

luv2grdn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2grdn Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:20am
post #1 of 25

Well, I finished the cake that I came to this site for help with. I'm not all that happy with it, but it was a hit. I have done much better work than this, but the day I was decorating was an exhausting day before I could even get started. I ended up being up until 6am Saturday morning and the party was at 1 that afternoon. My own fault though for not working on it sooner. I did accomplish the cake towers, which I'm happy about. I'm not at all happy with how the icing looks and I didn't get windows, vines and shingles on, but again, my own fault for waiting. The kids loved it, the parents were all impressed, but I was in no frame of mind to enjoy it. I guess it really shows when you aren't in the right frame of mind to be working. On the plus side, I learned a couple new things I've never done before, so that is good. And next time, I'll know what to do differently and will hopefully be happier with the results. I'm very much a perfectionist at times. I've done a few cakes on commission and have donated a couple also. I've turned down more offers to do cakes than I ever thought I would, but I'm just not ready for doing this as a business and hubby is not ready for me to take over the kitchen to that degree! icon_smile.gif I would love any creative critiques that anyone can offer to help me in the future. This is also my first 3D cake, so I gotta give myself some credit for doing this well.
I'm going to try attaching the picture here, but if that doesn't work, I put the picture in the 3D category under fantasy/gothic/fairytale. It is a Knights and Princesses Castle Cake for 6 year old boy/girl twins.
LL

24 replies
jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:24am
post #2 of 25

You should be so proud! The cake is great - I don't see a thing wrong with it. Awesome job!!

Deanna

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #3 of 25

wow!! awesome job!! that is a GREAT castle!!

jamiesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiesue Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #4 of 25

I think it looks great! How did you do the towers? What a cool idea for opposite sex twins.

I just did my first ever decorated cake this weekend which was a castle and I ended up using twinkies. It worked pretty well. I was trying to find a way to use cake, but was scared it would fall over!

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #5 of 25

i really like it...i was going to do a 3D for my little girls b-day in sept but i chickened out and just did one on a sheet cake...

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #6 of 25

That is an awsome cake

luv2grdn Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:32am
post #7 of 25

[quote="jamiesue How did you do the towers?
[quote:cb9f71b075]

There is sooooo much good advice on this site. When I asked how to do it, I was given several ideas. I used the one saying you could use a cookie cutter to cut round shapes from a sheet cake and stack them. I found a cookie cutter for just that purpose, so it was nice and deep, then I frosted between the rounds (after leveling them) and stuck a dowel rod through them. Icing them was a challenge, but the ones on top with chocolate clay were pretty easy.[/quote:cb9f71b075]

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:42am
post #8 of 25

I think it looks great! You did a wonderful job!

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #9 of 25

Great job!

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:10am
post #10 of 25

This cake is amazing! I can not see why you wouldnt absolutely LOVE it! But then I hardly ever like a cake I produce so I understand the self criticism part.

But honestly, its fantastic!
thumbs_up.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:20am
post #11 of 25

great cake, good job.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:28am
post #12 of 25

You did an awesome job.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:32am
post #13 of 25

I hope my first 3d cake will look half that good. You did a great, great job!

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:03am
post #14 of 25

I can't see anything wrong with it at all but I know I criticize the heck out of my work too. I think it is great and you should feel very proud of yourself. icon_wink.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:08am
post #15 of 25

What a wonderful castle. Great job. icon_biggrin.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:09am
post #16 of 25

This cake is great! You should be very proud!

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:16am
post #17 of 25

OMG!!!! I cant believe you were'nt happy with it, it's GREAT

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #18 of 25

You have done a great job on the cake. Congrats!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:32pm
post #19 of 25

I absolutely love your cake! I can see your point though because when you picture something in your mind and it doesn't turn our how you expected, you won't be happy with it no matter what anyone else says. Either way, I think you did a great job. I love these castle cakes, I really want to make one so I'm trying to hunt down any little girl who's birthday is coming up! My coworkers probably thing I'm nuts! icon_smile.gif

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:40pm
post #20 of 25

WOW!!! what a beautiful cake. I hope someday I can be as good as you are.

Ann

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:41pm
post #21 of 25

GREAT JOB! thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #22 of 25

Awesome Job! Very impressive!!! thumbs_up.gif

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #23 of 25

Great job. It is different and I love it.

noreen - I know what you mean. My granddaughter turns 7 this Dec and I thought this was my year. Try as I might, I can't convince her, she wants a doggie. I made her a doggie last year!!! (from a character pan - I think this year I will sculpt one)

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #24 of 25

I love it! Great job!!!

luv2grdn Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:50pm
post #25 of 25

WOW! Everyone is so generous with their compliments! Thanks so much for all the support and encouragement! As for those wanting to do find a girl...this was my BOY's idea! So, don't let the girl thing hold you back! There is plenty of 'coolness' associated with knights, dragon slayers, etc.!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%