@!#%^#! Bake Even Strips

Decorating By Kristy Updated 21 Jul 2005 , 6:49pm by scarlett873

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 33

Can anyone get these suckers to stay on?? i pulled them tight and pinned them and as soon as I pick up the pan, it just slides right off! icon_mad.gif I didn't have the time to mess around with them for a while, just wanted to know if anyone has had better luck with them!

32 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 33

Does the sides of you pans slant any? If so, that's where you may have problems.. when I try to get them to stay on a regular 9 x 13 bake pan, I had the same problem .. I finally bought me a straight side pan and it stays on that one great... I don't have any probs with the strips on the round pans at all .. now shaped pans, you'd have probs with too .. sorry you had so many probs !

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 33

What are these strips, what do they do?

Kristy Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 33

From the wilton site:

Bake Even Strips
Cakes bake perfectly level and moist, without high-rise centers or cracked tops. Just dampen our strips and wrap around the pan before baking. Oven safe, instructions included.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 33

Kristy: do you place the bake even strips on the pan before you fill them with better? I have found that I can get them on tighter that way. I just recently started using them and I really do like them!

Kristy Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:00am
post #6 of 33

yep, that's how i did it, but thanks for all the quick replies-- i'm sure next time i'll have more time to work with them, because i really do like the results!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:35am
post #7 of 33

i dont bother using them anymore i use my flower nail instead..

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 2:23am
post #8 of 33

Where do you put the flower nail when baking? Does it go into the center? At what point do you put it in?
TIA
Judy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 4:55am
post #9 of 33

Try using the bulldog clips (from office supplies) on your Magic Strips, keeps them on even on the character pans. I use them instead of the pins (those really hurt trying to push them into the strips), the clips work very well. Janice

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 5:49am
post #10 of 33

I use my magic strips all the time, but I put them on after filling the pans...I am curious about the flower nail though-what is the method for that?

littlebubbieschocolates Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:10am
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by good36

Where do you put the flower nail when baking? Does it go into the center? At what point do you put it in?
TIA
Judy

upside down in the center just before u put it in the oven

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:17am
post #12 of 33

I have them and have used them. I forget that I have those strips. they work really well. I am going to have to try the flower nail. Thanks MC

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 33

Thanks littlebubbies, I will try it tonight.
Judy

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 33

I have problems to with the bake even strips, but they do work great, but I stopped using them don't have the patience. I just use the paper towel method a member suggested. Just as soon as the cake comes out of the oven take a paper towel or dish cloth and press down on cake until even, just keep in mind that it has to be right out of oven because it doesn't work after cake has cooled off, this works every time for me and my bake even strips are now in the kitchen drawer and haven't seen daylight for quite some time. Hope this helps

ntertayneme Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 33

Just a note to using the flower nail, grease it really well all over before you put it in the pan.. then pour your cake mixture in the pan ... you'll have one tiny hole in the center that's easily covered with icing .. it's worked great for me.

I've also used the papertowel or clean dishcloth too .. I rarely have to do that, but it does work well .. like irisinbloom said, you have to do it when the cake is hot .. it can't be done when it's cooled.

littlebubbieschocolates Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 33

hmm i might try out the paper towel thing. and i never greasy my nail it comes out just fine

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:56am
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I've also used the papertowel or clean dishcloth too .. I rarely have to do that, but it does work well .. like irisinbloom said, you have to do it when the cake is hot .. it can't be done when it's cooled.

This is what I do and it works really well.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 4:21am
post #18 of 33

I don't use the strips myself. I just cut strips of 2 ply paper towels and wet them and wrap them around my pan.

Amy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:27am
post #19 of 33

I don't like the strips! I gave all mine to Ntertayneme's sister! I use the flower nail & it usually works great!

I have a question for everyone...

IF you use Magic Line pans what temp do you bake your cakes on? I have been baking them on 325* & it takes nearly 2 hours to bake!! I've been using those pans & love them but that is too long to bake a cake.

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:28am
post #20 of 33

Ok guys, I have been reading this post and find it interesting. I have never used the strips but have seen them. My cakes alway, always rise high in the centre and it is really upsetting, I usually have to slice the top of the cake off. I am interested in trying the flower nail method, you would need to use a large flower nail, right. A stupid question, but how does this stop the cake from rising in the centre???? pardon my ignorance.

Thanks

klsunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsunny Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 2:25pm
post #21 of 33

I use a large metal paperclip instead of those little pins that they give you to use. The sides of the pan do need to be straight also.

scarlett873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett873 Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:07pm
post #22 of 33

I have a question about the flower nail as well...

I am going to be baking a 16in square cake and a 12 in square cake for a birthday cake for this weekend. Can the flower nail be used in place of the heating core in the larger pans? Do I need to buy a big flower nail? I think the only one I have at home is the small one...

And does anyone know if you can use the flower nail in place of the core piece on the full size stand up bear?

Thanks for your help!!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:18pm
post #23 of 33

I have a 14 in square cake pan that I always use the flower nail when baking. I use the #9 nail. I don't know exactly how this works, but it works every time.

ntertayneme Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 33

I'm not sure if you could use the flower nail in place of the core for the stand up bear pan, but I do know you can use it in the center of you square pans.. it acts as a heater core and believe me, it works beautifully!! After I read some posts on here, I was dubious, but I tried it and it works!! I swear by it now.. I use it for any pan from about 12" up.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 8:01pm
post #25 of 33

Hello everyone - I recently purchased the strips and used them for the first time. They really did work, but I, too had a difficult time getting them on with the pins that came in the package. Veejaytx - I like the idea of using the clips, I'm going to try that next time, thanks for the tip!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 9:45pm
post #26 of 33

Okay, here comes a really stupid question....
Do you put the flower nail in head down or pointy tip down? (I'm embarrassed)

ntertayneme Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 9:56pm
post #27 of 33

Flower head down and coat it well with cooking spray, or pan coating. The pointed end will be up .. place it in your pan, pour your batter in the pan and bake... if you coat the flower nail well, it will just slide right out leaving one small hole which you can fill with icing .. this works great ... I learned it on CakeCentral!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 1:08am
post #28 of 33

I never grease my flower nails anymore. One time I forgot to and it didnt stick. I sometimes even use 2 in the big sheet cake pan. I always put mine in after I pour in the batter, stick it right to the bottom of the cake pan. Then I drop my pan about 10 times on the counter to remove all air.
And I always use the bake even strips too. I use the pins that came with them or paper clips.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 3:45am
post #29 of 33

Okay..... I have been gone a couple of days..... How big of a pan has the flower nail been used in and do you use it in all sizes? I can't wait to try this.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 5:24am
post #30 of 33

I use the flower nail in 10" pans or larger. 14" & 16" I used 2 flower nails. Works great everytime~ I never used the flower nails in my sheet cakes. I have never had to.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%