Need Wedding Cake Recipe

Baking By Juds Updated 18 Jul 2005 , 12:10am by mjones17

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking for a good plain/vanilla cake recipe for wedding cakes. Mine tends to be too light to handle the weight of the fondant.

Thanks in advance,
Juds

7 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:15am
post #2 of 8

Just putting this to the top so people will see it....
I know lots of people are using the cake mix doctor recipe for theirs. I can't think of the name but it sounds like a winner! Sorry I couldn't help.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:20am
post #3 of 8

I've tried the cmd recipe for white cake...in my opinion, I wouldn't say it's amazing...but it does taste good and is quite dense...almost pound-cake like.

From the top of my head, I believe you use cup whole milk instead of water, 1/2 cup of butter (melted), and one extra egg plus vanilla extract.

If anyone has a great white cake from scratch that they'd like to share, I would love to try it! Thanks.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:35am
post #4 of 8

If you can get a hold of "The Cake Bible" there is a recipe for a white velvet cake. That cake is great. I have "The Cake Bible: but right now I have no idea which box it is in. As soon as I find it I will post it. MC

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help, I'll keep trying. icon_smile.gif

eochenski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eochenski Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

I've made the "Wedding Cake" recipe I found on this site. It's definitely dense enough to hold weight. Pretty yummy too! You should try it. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1190-Wedding-Cake.html

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 8

Here is one that I have used off the box of Duncan Hines Classic Yellow cake. I think you can do it with other flavors as well.
1 Packsge Duncan Hines Yellow Cake mix
1 4 oz box vanilla instant pudding/pie filling(or you could probably use whatever you want)
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Mix together and bake.
I think this makes a good moist dense cake...but not as firm as pound cake. It stacks well and you can easily cover it with fondant. You might try it on a practice cake to see what you think. Good luck! Let us know which recipe you end up using! icon_smile.gif
traci

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 12:10am
post #8 of 8

The recipe I use is:
1 box cake mix
1 package pudding mix
4 egg whites
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water

Mix together and cook according to pan directions.

It makes it really moist and dense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%