Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By TinasTasties Updated 23 Oct 2006 , 8:49pm by Tim-n-SEMO

TinasTasties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinasTasties Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a wedding cake soon - with buttercream, not fondant. I will be wrapping the bottom of each layer with ribbon. Does anyone know of a way to keep the grease of the icing from seeping onto the ribbon? Is there something I can line the ribbon with? Fortunately the ribbon will be black, so the grease actually won't be that noticeable. However, I would also like to prevent the icing from sticking to the ribbon when it is removed. Suggestions? Thanks!!

3 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 4

I've done a number of cakes like this, so hopefully you can gain something from my experience.

First, I don't believe the icing will stick to the ribbon when it's removed. Mine never do. you just have to remove it a little slowly, following the perimiter of your cake. Should come right off.

Next, to "greaseproof" your ribbon: it will depend on what kind of ribbon you have. Perhaps you might want to experiment ahead of time. Can you iron your ribbon between sheets of wax paper? maybe the wax will stick to the ribbon and make it sort of greaseproof....how about cutting a strip of plastic wrap the width of your ribobn and placing it on the cake first, then your ribbon? That might work.

Actually, I don't worry about the grease bleeding through the ribbon. Most people know that the icing has some form of grease in it (butter, shortening, etc.), and they're smart enough that it will somehow "leech" into the ribbon. Honestly, my cakes usually look pretty evenly "greased" when I set up, so the color isn't "splotchy" ... I just don't worry about it. But, maybe these suggestions will help you out.

Good luck and post a few pics when you're done!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

I have used the wax paper method and whether I have had ribbon that wouldn't bleed or it was the wax paper method but I have never had a problem

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 4

GREASE the ribbon! LOL yep, it's true....get it all evenly greasy with crisco or something like that and you won't have to worry about it...tho it may darken the color of the ribbon.

I will admit that I didn't do that the last time I did a cake with ribbon (in my photos), but the ribbon was an artificial-type fabric that wasn't absorbent at all.

HTH

Tim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%