I've Had It!!!!! Enough Already. Please Help Me!!!!

Decorating By ahilton Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 5:26am by kansaslaura

ahilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahilton Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #1 of 13

No matter what recipe I use, no matter how much reinforcement I put under a cake and no matter how I try, my icing still cracks!!!!! I have read every post on this site trying to figure out what my problem is. Anyone who could please, please, please help, I'd really appreciate it. My tiered cakes are usually ok, it's the quarter, half and especially whole sheet cakes that have me seriously doubting myself and my ability to decorate.

12 replies
pokeyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pokeyanne Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:15am
post #2 of 13

I'm just guessing here but it sounds to me like it could be a problem with your cake boards. You say that with your tiered cakes they seem to be ok. My guess is because they are smaller and taller so they don't bend when the cake is picked up or moved. Where as a sheet cake is not as tall and perhaps your cake board isn't sturdy enough so that when it's picked up or moved the weight isn't properly distributed so it bends causing the cracks. Again, I'm no pro just merely guessing. If nothing else it gets you a bump up so that some other genius CCer can give you the correct answer. icon_smile.gif

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #3 of 13

Sounds as if pokeyanne hit the nail on the head. I used to have the same problem until DH bought large sheets of 1/4 inch plywood for me to use. He cuts whatever size and shape I need, and I cover the plywood and use that for my cakes. I write "Please return to (my name)" on both sides of the board with magic marker, then cover with aluminum foil and freezer wrap (shiny side out). I've had very few cake boards not "come home" since I usually do cakes within a 50 mile radius, but I realize it may not be feasible for others. Don't know where DH gets the plywood, but it's not very expensive, and we get lots of boards from a sheet.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:54am
post #4 of 13

I'll agree with the others here.. sheet cakes are a pain to transport with cardboard cake boards. I'd invest in some foam core or masonite cake boards.. some plywoods have toxic chemicals like arsenic to preserve them. http://logicpic.com/index.htm has the foam core ones in various thicknesses.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

Sounds like a cake board support problem to me too.

I use cake boards from Sams, they're much sturdier than what you get most places. For really heavy cakes, I will sometimes add a second cake board, but really don't need to very often. I lift them as seldom as possible always supporting the underside with my hands and always tell my customers to slide, not lift the cake. I haven't had a problem with cracking since switching to the new cake boards.

The only other thought is perhaps it's the icing your using?? I've read that if you're using water rather than milk or cream, the icing tends to crack easier.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #6 of 13

I have a cutting board of the thick plastic kind that I use as my base sometimes for large sheet cakes. They aren't very expensive if you don't need a lot of them, but thick foam core also does the trick.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 13

For 12x18's, I tape 3 cake boards together. If I'm going to be there, or if I know the people, I'll use one of my wood bases since I know I"ll get it back.

YOu can buy wood from Lowe's and they will cut it to size for you for free. Be sure the wood had no flexibility....some of the plywood's and pressed woods are as flimsy as cardboards. Also factor in how heavy it's going to be, and most important .... will it fit thru your car doors and thru building doors? I have a piece of wood cut to hold my 22x28 sheet cake and lets' just say it's a good thing my delivery vehicle is a cargo van!

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 13

I checked with DH and the boards he cuts for me are masonite. I apologize for saying they were plywood. Everyone was right in cautioning against using plywood, but I always cover any of my boards with aluminum foil, then freezer paper with the shiny side out to prevent any transferring of flavors or possible toxins.

ahilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahilton Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #9 of 13

Thanks to all of you for your help with the icing dilema. Unfortunately, I have tried all of these suggestions also. In fact, I use 1/4" leuon (pronounced lew on) and it is also a pressed board w/ no chemicals added. The masonite I can purchase in my area is only 1/8 inch and a little flimsy. I also use insulation styrofoam, also w/ no chemicals. It is the board-type insulation. I cut it to fit the cake, then put the wooden board under it. That's why I don't think it is a support problem.

I use milk in the icing. I have tried the drops of vinegar in the icing. I have cut the amount of powdered sugar in half in the icing. I have used all butter. I have used all Crisco. I have used the high ration (Sweetex) shortening. I have tried every deviation known to try to fix this problem. In fact, when I'm finished making the icing on occasion, I'm afraid it won't hold its shape nor crust, but somehow it finally does.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll just keep trying!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:59am
post #10 of 13

im sorry you're having problems with your icing, but all i can suggest is to try a non-crusting BC, like imbc and smbc. they taste amazing, and won't crust, so no cracking!! i find them hard to smooth, but thats prolly because i just haven't really practiced at it. i know lots of people on here get them smooth really easily. good luck!

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:14am
post #11 of 13

sorry about the problem you are having. have you ever tried the wiltons recipe for bc. i use it all the time and don't have any problems. any of the wilton yearbooks has the recipe, if you can't get it pm me and i will send you the recipe. also are your sheet cakes 1 cake or do you use 2 1/2 sheets, maybe the cake is splitting thats why the icing is cracking. i hope you conquer this problem.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:24am
post #12 of 13

I am sorry you are having problems but I certainly do understand. The same thing happened to me for a while. I was using a hot damp knife to smooth my cakes and I think the heat or the water was having some effect on it. After I stopped using the heated knife with water, my problem was solved. I now use the Melvira method using a paint roller instead of water. Thanks again Melvira!

I don't know how you smooth your cakes but this could be causing it also. I hope you soon get your problem solved.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:26am
post #13 of 13

I'm sure by now you've thought of this, but are your cakes absolutley level? I have a small level I keep with my supplies. If needed I'll slide the pastry bag under one corner or the other and squirt a little buttercream under the corner (or where needed) to even what I've thought was a level cake.

What kind of cracks are you getting? Hairline? Deep? I know how frustrating it can be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%