Really Big Decorated Cookies

Decorating By jlewis888 Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm by kwdonlon

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 21

Have any of you ever made the really big chocolate chip cookies like the American Cookie Co makes? My child wants one of these to take to her class party. What cookie recipe do you use? What kind of pan do you use? How do you keep it from being crispy?? I have so many questions. Can anyone help me?

20 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #2 of 21

The largest I have done personally is 8" and I just did this in my magic line cake pans (I just lined the bottom with parchment so it wouldn't stick)

However I have had a couple of pampered chef shows where they roll out cookie dough on the largest size stone they have and bake it. Worked great!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #3 of 21

I have never done it personally but you could just purchase a disposable pizza tin and bake it on that...I think that is what they use and you just don't make it too thin so that it won't be crispy.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #4 of 21

I make mine in my 12 inch magic line round pan and I use my regular recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough. I line the pan with parchment and it comes right out. I bake it at 325 degrees so that it does not cook too fast and this keeps it from being crispy in the center. Nice crust on the outside, but light and chewy in the middle. thumbs_up.gif

Dawncurby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawncurby Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #5 of 21

Just use whatever size pan that you want the cookie to be. Be sure to spray the pan well and you can also use parchment paper on the bottom to keep it from sticking. I use either the roll of cookie dough or the break apart cookies they have now. If you do anything over an 8" or 9" then you need to use somewhere between 1 and 1/2 packs of dough. I know that I did a 1/2 sheet cookie cake a few months back and it took like 4 packs. Just be sure not to make the dough to thin when you spread it in the pan. Also, let the dough get a little soft before you try and spread it. I also turn the temp down a bit and this helps with the crispness. It will take a bit longer to bake, but it better to do it a lower temp. If I can help let me know.

Dawn

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #6 of 21

I made one in a pizza pan and just used the Nestle's toll house recipe.

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #7 of 21

I would go with weirkd and use a pizza pan or get the disposable so there isnt any trasfer issues and make your regular cookie recipe!!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:05am
post #8 of 21

If you're still interested, I have a recipe I have used several times for the large decorated cookie. If you still need it, just PM me and I'll get back with you.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #9 of 21

I agree with everyone here. The only thing I'd add is be sure and take your dough all the way to the edge of the pan and make it the same thickness from middle to edge. That's what keeps it nice and chewy.

Good luck!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:12am
post #10 of 21

I've used the Toll House recipe on a 12" pizza pan. I covered the pan with foil, which I then sprayed with Pam. (The foil extended past the rim of the pan, so I folded it back and under the pan.)

When the cookie came out of the oven, I put the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes. I was then able to lift the cookie on the foil and put onto the rack until well cooled and solid.

I have also done this with the Wilton heart shaped "pizza" pan.

jlewis888 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 21

Thank you so much for the information. I had not thought of using the pizza pan--but that makes a lot of sense. My concern was getting it out of the pan if I used my regular pans. Pizza pan with parchment or foil makes sense. Do you still need to grease the parchment or foil? Also, how much dough would it take to cover a 12" pizza pan? A double recipe? How much cooking time does it usually take?

msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 21

I too use the Toll House recipe and on recipe is PLENTY big enough to cover!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 21

I don't know if you actually NEED to grease, since the recipe for regular Toll house (i.e. not the big cookie) says to use ungreased pan. However, I am worried about the chips sticking, because I let the big cookie cool more, so it is set enough to be firm.

With parchment, you would not need to grease, I think.

I'm not sure on cooking time, because I do it by "eye". I think it's somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes at 325, though. I take it out when it is starting to brown, and the cookie is "set" in the middle.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 21

I've used regular cookie recipe on Nestle's. And then I've actually used those cookies that are already made and stuck together brownie and chocolate chip onto a pizza pan. When I get done I just roll it out so it's level. My daughter always brought that to school for her B-days until we moved to AZ. They have a no sweets law so no cake.

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 21

I believe I have used this recipe numberous times and it always came out great. Just have to watch the cookie as to not overbake.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Giant-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie/Detail.aspx

I went out and bought a 16 inch pizza pan as the batter did spread a bit and usually cut around to shape. You can read the reviews for some good suggestions.

Good luck!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 21

These are great sellers for me. I use the Toll House recipe on the back of the bag. The carmel chocolate chip goes the best here. One recipe in the 12"round pan cake pan 2" deep makes a cookie about an 1 1/2 thick. People love the thickness. Anyway, 325 for 20-22 min it will seem not cooked but browned and it sets up well and stays chewy. I use heart pans , the sheet cake pans for different shapes. I just spray and flour the pan and they come out fine after about 10 min, just don't leave it set up too hard or the chocolate chips harden to the pan. Enjoy!!!!

jlewis888 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 21

Thank you guys so much for the help! I am off to get the tollhouse/nestle stuff. Am going to try a practice run tomorrow!

jlewis888 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 21

Debster--do you have any photos of your cookie cakes??

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:45am
post #19 of 21

I use the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on the inside of the package of Butter Flavored Crisco. They are great!!! I don't ever use Toll House recipe. I use their chips but not the recipe. I use a pizza pan for the giant cookie.

Good Luck

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:28pm
post #20 of 21

there is a recipe on the wilton webpage under recipes that is for big cookies. the recipe holds up very well and it makes just the right amount for 1 of those disposible pizza pans. I had found that the other recipes would not get done in the middle and to done on the outside. I tried this recipe and it works so great and taste good also.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #21 of 21

I've made the Skillet Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie from the Martha Stewart website. It's a little bit thicker and very delicious.

The link is way too long to post properly here -- just do a search at www.marthastewart.com for Skillet Baked Chocolate Chip

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%