Candy Colors??

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 17 Jul 2005 , 4:08am by sugartopped

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

I just bought the Whimsical Bakehouse book...wonderfu bookl by the way....but I wanted to try and make some of the flowers and bees w/the wafer chocolate. It says to use candy colors, I don't have candy colors so can I just use the wilton colors I use for icing?? Is there a big difference?

Thanks,
Christine

6 replies
meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 7

Hey pinkbunny, I use the whimsical book a lot, and the thing with chocolate, is that if it comes into contact with water it will seize, it will become a big lump of yuck. In the book they explain how you should only use oil based colors, colors that are specifically made to be used with chocolate, you can buy the colors at Michaels. Good Luck!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 7

I have always used the wilton candy colors and they work great for me. I think you can also buy them at Walmart or Party City.
traci

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 7

I have only used the wilton candy melts a few time so I don't have much experience with them but I used the wilton icing colors when I made my alphabet & letter molds. It worked fine for me both times I used them but I did make sure I only used a very little amount of icing color paste. I don't know if it would work well if you need to use a lot of icing color paste to get a really dark color. I have a cake in the birthday gallery that I used wilton icing color paste to make lavender letters on my barbie fairytopia cake.

Good luck!

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 7

No dont use the regular wilton colors. I used them before I found the candy colors. The reg colors dont dry. I made some and days after if you touched any color it would be on your fingers like paint. Micheals sells candy color made by wilton, its buy the melts.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 7

I use to work in a cake and candy supply store and one thing we always told customers was not to use the gel/paste colors as they have water in them and will cause the chocolate to harden. They do have candy colors available or you can always use a powder color. There are a lot of those available that work well!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 4:08am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I wanted to experiment w/some things tom...but unfortunately I won't make it to Michael's until Wed. icon_cry.gif I'll just have to try something else I guess.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%