Back From Nick Lodge Class At Wilton--Wow!

Decorating By BlakesCakes Updated 23 Oct 2006 , 5:31am by ShirleyW

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:55am
post #1 of 15

All I can say is that if you have the chance to take a class with Nicholas Lodge--don't hesitate--go for it!

I have NEVER worked so hard and had such gratifying results.

This man is so incredibly organized and capable! We had 45 min. lunch breaks and the 5 days just flew by. He showed us how to make his gumpaste recipe and then demonstrated each flower. His instructions were just so clear--and his methods helped make everything fall into place in a sensible and orderly way. His early training was in floristry, so he was able to share volumes on flowers and arranging. He's very approachable and answers questions fully--even on flowers that aren't covered in the course being taught.

In addition to the teaching in the class, we were able to try some new products that he's helped to develop. His partner, Scott, flew up from Atlanta on Wed. afternoon and by Thurs. morning he had individual bags ready for each of us to use for shopping. Some of us bought a lot, some of us a little, but with no tax and no shipping, that in itself was really worthwhile.

I'd been a fan of his books, etc. and now I know that he's great in person. His class really provided a lot of bang for the buck!

Here are a few photos.

Rae
LL
LL

14 replies
katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:58am
post #2 of 15

OH MY icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif looks amazing!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:00am
post #3 of 15

Wow you did amazing!!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to take a class of his. Thanks for the input icon_smile.gif

angie1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angie1118 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #4 of 15

Your flowers are beautiful! : I am considering taking a class in the future...does he provide detailed instructions for you to take home to remember how to make the flowers? I find that I am so happy and excited in the class that after I take a class I need instructions to help me remember how to do it.
Again ...your work is beautiful!

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #5 of 15

omg your stargazer lily is gorgeous!!!!!!

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #6 of 15

If I didn't know better I would say they are REAL. And I only know better cause we are on CC! icon_lol.gif Great job!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:08am
post #7 of 15

OMG that is awesome!!!!! My FAVORITE flower EVER is the Stargazer lily........

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:10am
post #8 of 15

Sounds like a wonderful course, with a very organized and full schedule - along with a really great teacher.

Glad you enjoyed it, and shared your adventure!

However, your talent is just amazing icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:41am
post #9 of 15

Great job on the flowers! I too had the joy of taking some classes with him at Cake Camp in Las Vegas - he is an excellent teacher and I think everyone should try to take a class with him at some point!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #10 of 15

Wow, wow!!! Wonderful work !! You should be very proud !! I wanna go, I wanna go !!!

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:02am
post #11 of 15

That is gorgeous!!!! I am jealous!

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:11am
post #12 of 15

Your gumpaste arrangement is flawless.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #13 of 15

I am so excited...I am taking his class May 1-4, 2007. He is one of our guest instructors at our MO ICES Weekend of Sharing! Scott is too...YEA I can't wait I want to make flowers, too!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:25am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1118

..does he provide detailed instructions for you to take home to remember how to make the flowers? I find that I am so happy and excited in the class that after I take a class I need instructions to help me remember how to do it.

Oh, Angie, I can relate! I, too, am excited to be in classes and like to have written references to go with the physical examples.

YES, he did provide complete written instructions--most are in his book, A Potpourri of Flowers, and the directions are very detailed. We also received that book and no less than 20 pages of additional instructions and diagrams. I feel pretty confident that when I go back and read them again, I'll be able to replicate the flowers I've already made--as well as branch out into new varieties.

Here's a link to the book on his website:
http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi?ud=TVdVMUszMDdVRCUlJSUlJTExNjE1NzcwNjQA&storeid=1&sortby=categories&cols=1&categories=0003&&c=detail.htm&itemid=BBB

I take no credit for the arrangement of the flowers--I took a photo of the arrangement that Nick did of his own flowers and I copied it the best I could.
icon_lol.gif

Thanks so much for all of your compliments, but I take very little credit on this--I think the majority of my success was due to having such a superb teacher.

Rae

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 5:31am
post #15 of 15

I took his 3 day class in Georgia in 2001, Exoric Orchids and found all you've mentioned to be true. He is a wonderful instructor, patient and makes sure you understand before he lets you go. The bonus to taking a class at his school are the great lunches prepared by his life partner Scott each day.

Your flowers are all beautiful. I know how tired you went home each day, we were all exhausted. But when you group all of your completed flowers together you see just how much you accomplished in that amount of time and you are amazed. Well worth the price and if he weren't so far away I would sign up for every class he offers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%