Get Rbc To Cooperate?

Decorating By ljudd1969 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 2:36am by alphafemale

ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, I've tried MMF (still trying to conquer that from time to time) now I'm trying my hand at RBC. I can't get this stuff to stop sticking to the counter. I've added way more PS than the recipe called for and still no luck. I know in my MMF thread a lot of you altered the recipe by adding Crisco & holding back on the powdered sugar. Are there any similar tricks you all have for RBC? Should I cut back on the Crisco? I also noticed that it separates something fierce when it sits for a while. I had a pool of grease in the bottom of the container (EEEWWWW!) I have visions of grease dripping from a finnished cake & that scares me!!!! Any advice would once again be very appreciated. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
ljudd1969 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 16

anyone?

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 16

I think i made rolled BC the other day by accident...I was using my KA and one of the kids thought they would help me and threw a bunch of PS in it (it was on it's final mix)...What i god was a soft clay...was this rolled BC? I through it out... icon_sad.gif Can you use this just like fondant...i'm scared of fondant....LOL

Have you tried Cornstarch on the counter or PS on the counter? I have no clue what to do!!! Someone help US!!!

ljudd1969 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie_73

I think i made rolled BC the other day by accident...I was using my KA and one of the kids thought they would help me and threw a bunch of PS in it (it was on it's final mix)...What i god was a soft clay...was this rolled BC? I through it out... icon_sad.gif Can you use this just like fondant...i'm scared of fondant....LOL

possibly. what did you start with? if you added the PS to shortening & corn syrup, thats what you got. you're supposed to be able to roll it out like fondant but i've been unsuccessful at it. it's sticking to everything...even to my no-stick rolling pin!!! It's really wierd because i've added so much PS (to the RBC and slathered it on the counter too!) that i can't smooth over the cracks but yet it still sticks to stuff. seems like a contradiction huh?!? This is starting to be very frustrating. icon_mad.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 16

The only way I can cover a cake with RBC is to roll it out on plastic, transfer it to the cake on the plastic, and flip the plastic over the cake, peeling it off after the RBC is in place. RBC can be patched far easier than regular fondant, which is a good thing icon_lol.gif , cause it likely will want to tear. It will have a shiny finish that can be lightly dusted with powdered sugar, but then fingerprints can be a real problem. I usually just leave mine shiny. IMHO, the taste is better than MMF, but I use butter in my RBC - half butter and half shortening.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 16

I've only tried RBC a couple of times and that was for cookies. I love the texture and the taste. I never had a problem with it sticking...I rolled it out on wax paper.

Here's a link to the recipe I used. I like it because I could do this by hand (don't have a stand mixer icon_sad.gif )

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx

HTH. Jodie

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #7 of 16

Thanks to everyone who writes out the entire word(s) instead of abbreviating. There are some of us morons out here who aren't used to the code, and have to wait for other comments to figure out what the heck you're talking about.

ljudd1969 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneZA

Thanks to everyone who writes out the entire word(s) instead of abbreviating. There are some of us morons out here who aren't used to the code, and have to wait for other comments to figure out what the heck you're talking about.

LOL! sorry about that AnneZA. RBC = rolled buttercream MMF = marshmallow fondant. there's a great link here on CC that has a list of acronyms that has been very helpful for me. I felt like i wasn't trying to read a foreign language after i stumbled upon that list!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

HTH (hope that helps!) icon_razz.gif

ljudd1969 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the suggestions - i will try out the plastic and wax paper to see if it works for me. i just have one other question...do you tape together several pieces first then tape to the counter?

2BoysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2BoysMom Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudd1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneZA

LOL! sorry about that AnneZA. RBC = rolled buttercream MMF = marshmallow fondant. there's a great link here on CC that has a list of acronyms that has been very helpful for me. I felt like i wasn't trying to read a foreign language after i stumbled upon that list!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

HTH (hope that helps!) icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the link! I'm a newbie moron too who's worked in the medical field...to me RBC means red blood cells LOL! I had figured out that MMF was some sort of fondant, but not sure what the mm was. Thanks!

Janna

ljudd1969 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom

...to me RBC means red blood cells LOL!
Janna

LOL!!!! that's funny! yeah...i imagine you wouldn't want to get those two confused!!!! icon_eek.gif

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #12 of 16

I have never tried to make my own fondant of any kind but this thread really gets me thinking that I just might try it. It sounds as thought it is much cheaper that buying and I am always willing to work harder to save money.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!!

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #13 of 16

Wow! I have been out of cake decorating for a while and would love to try
the RBC. I think I have heard of it, but I never tried it. Can you believe I got the KA mixer when it was on sale about 2-3 weeks ago (actually, my husband bought it for me icon_smile.gif ) and I haven't even used it yet!! icon_redface.gif I've just been saying "Well I don't really have any reason to make a cake because if I did, we would probably eat a little at first and then the rest would go to waste." Mainly because we are not big cake eaters-my kids only like the icing. I would've made a cake for my birthday last Sunday, but my stepmother and dad bought me a Wal-Mart cake icon_sad.gif , so I didn't make one. I didn't even take one bite of that cake! My kids, niece, nephew & sisterhad some, but we still have half of a cake that now needs to be thrown out.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:08am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudd1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom

...to me RBC means red blood cells LOL!
Janna

LOL!!!! that's funny! yeah...i imagine you wouldn't want to get those two confused!!!! icon_eek.gif

I laughed my butt off at the red blood cells. icon_lol.gif I'm still learning what all the acronyms are too. On the thread that tells what all the acronyms are, one of them is DH (dear husband). Several of the ladies thought it meant dumb husband. I thought that was so funny. icon_lol.gif

Here's a thread that compares rbc to fondant:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-466813-.html

Actually, there's no comparison according to everyone who has used both. They all like the fondant better. I'm taking a fondant class right now (just started today) and really don't like the taste of Satin Ice (yuck) or Wilton (yuckier). thumbsdown.gif There were 12 ladies in class today and all but two of them bought their fondant. Me and another girl brought home made. Mine was mmf and it really tastes good. To me it tastes like rice crispy treats without the rice crispies. icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:15am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjulian

I have never tried to make my own fondant of any kind but this thread really gets me thinking that I just might try it. It sounds as thought it is much cheaper that buying and I am always willing to work harder to save money.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!!

I made my own fondant because we had to have 5lbs per class (3 classes total) and at the supply store that I use, it's $27 for 5lbs. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I thought that was ridiculous until I made my own. It's very rewarding but let me tell you, I worked up a sweat kneading in the last of the ps (powdered sugar). It was a pretty good work out. If I had to make it by hand (and kitchen aid mixer), I'd charge $27 for 5lbs too. icon_wink.gif

alphafemale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alphafemale Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:36am
post #16 of 16

I tried RBC, and had a lot of the problems that you're having. Also, when it didn't tear (which was most of the time!), it would sort of slough off the cake after a while. By the next morning it had big "feet" all around it. I tried a basic MMF and wasn't too crazy about the taste (way better than Wilton's though - ewwww). So, I started mixing the two. 2 parts RBC to 1 part MMF works pretty well, and tastes good.

Of course, then I found Rhonda's recipe - that's pretty much all I use now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%