New Crisco Strikes Again

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm by nikisbakin

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 11:58am
post #1 of 13

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I hate the new crisco. I don't use it in my icing so it was never a problem until last night. I am throwing my best friend a baby shower this weekend so I started to bake the cakes last night. Making lemon pound cake, yummy. I made it 2 weeks ago and it turned out great. Made two last night and NEITHER one was right. Into the garbage for both. Only thing different was that I had some non-trans-fat crisco that I used two weeks ago and last night used the new junk. I use it in addition to butter in my pound cake. Now I am soooooo upset because I need to find a NEW pound cake recipe that we love as much as the old one. Just thought I would throw myself a little pitty party.

12 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 13

I am so sorry for you!! I hate the new Crisco as well, I made one batch of icing with it and quickly switched to Alpine high ratio. In a pinch, I bought some store brand shortening, and it did much better than the new Crisco, would you be able to do that?? Some people say that different store brands have different tastes, but since it is in a cake, maybe you just need the consistency.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 13

I'm sorry to hear that happened!

Maybe you don't have to find a new recipe just yet. I've heard that some of the store brand shortenings still have the trans fat in them so maybe you can stock up on some of that. Or, could you try using some of the high ratio shortening?

BTW, what lemon pound cake recipe are you using? Would you mind posting it? It sounds great.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 13

I know one of my students in cake classes tried and used the WalMart brand all vegetable shortening and said it worked better for her than the new Trans-Crisco stuff. I bought some and yes, it did work well; however, it gives a more off white look to me than the pure white look that Crisco does or did. I dislike the new Crisco as well.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 13

Oh I have more sad news--I had switched to Wal-Mart brand and had been using that 1/2 and 1/2 with the new Crisco with fairly good results. Last night I dipped into a new can of Wal-Mart shortening and immediately noticed something was different. It was smoother, not so stiff--- I checked the label and sure enough it is now 0 trans fats! Dang it! My son had picked up 2 cans of it! Now I have to search out other store brands to see if I can find another substitute!

vdrsolo Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Oh I have more sad news--I had switched to Wal-Mart brand and had been using that 1/2 and 1/2 with the new Crisco with fairly good results. Last night I dipped into a new can of Wal-Mart shortening and immediately noticed something was different. It was smoother, not so stiff--- I checked the label and sure enough it is now 0 trans fats! Dang it! My son had picked up 2 cans of it! Now I have to search out other store brands to see if I can find another substitute!

Most likely....Great Value is made by Crisco!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 13

I have used the Food Club brand with success.............they have both options with or without trans fats...........my local Piggly Wiggly carries it.

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:55am
post #8 of 13

Don't give up on Walmart...they actually have 2 different kinds...the zero trans fat and the regular...I believe the regular is in a dark blue container and the zero trans fat is in the light blue container. Just have to look for sure at the store...

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebellas

Don't give up on Walmart...they actually have 2 different kinds...the zero trans fat and the regular...I believe the regular is in a dark blue container and the zero trans fat is in the light blue container. Just have to look for sure at the store...

thanks for this tip! thumbs_up.gif I live at Walmart. If it wasn't for WallyWorld, I couldn't afford to eat (...well, then perhaps I wouldn't need to lose 15 pounds icon_confused.gif ). I will watch for the DARK BLUE and see what comes of it.

PS: My Fair Cake I did this year? Crisco-crap made the colors run, weep, slide off, etc. It's the one in my pix. So, my crisco is going for something other than cakes. Perhaps I'll keep it for frosting cookies....

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:02am
post #10 of 13

I use the 'new' crisco in both my cake recipe and frosting. My yellow cake that's listed in my recipes is pound cake-ish, if you want to give it a try. I also entered a cake at the fair, again using crisco in both the cake and frosting and won first place and best of show. First pic is the cake in my kitchen on Friday night, second pic is the cake at the fair the following weds.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=820843
LL

vdrsolo Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebellas

thanks for this tip! thumbs_up.gif I live at Walmart. If it wasn't for WallyWorld, I couldn't afford to eat (...well, then perhaps I wouldn't need to lose 15 pounds icon_confused.gif ). I will watch for the DARK BLUE and see what comes of it.

PS: My Fair Cake I did this year? Crisco-crap made the colors run, weep, slide off, etc. It's the one in my pix. So, my crisco is going for something other than cakes. Perhaps I'll keep it for frosting cookies....

I only use Crisco for making pan grease and to grease my hands and mat when rolling out fondant! Get some high ratio, do a side by side comparison, I will never go back to Crisco even if they brought back the old stuff!

nimsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nimsi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 13

Hi!! i dont speak english very well but in other forum someone said if you added 2tablespoon of cornstarch to your recipe using the new trans fat crisco, you did not have a problem with yor icing. Try it, just add 2 tbsp of cornstarch and let see!! Good Luck and sorry for my english....

nikisbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikisbakin Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 13

I had to shell out a few extra dollars for the high ratio shortening at the baking store. It really does work very good! I already knew that but it is expensive. I still use the Crisco for my white cake recipe and it is just as delicious as ever!! Maybe, I will try the cornstarch and see what happens, for buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%