Not Paid!!! Need To Vent! (Long)

Decorating By BeckySue Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 12:58am by dldbrou

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:56am
post #1 of 59

OK - so I have read some of the bad expieriences on the site about people not getting paid for their work. "Not me!" was always what I thought, but here I am ..... not paid.
I made two cakes for my cousin last week. (See below) It was my aunt's 75th birthday and she wanted a sheet cake for the family dinner on Wednesday and a fancier cake for the open house on Saturday. When she called and ordered the cakes, she said that the family dinner would be at a restraunt but everyone would have to pay for their own meal, because she didn't have the money to pay for everyone. (Who does?)The sheet cake gave me fits (*!@#$* Sheet Cake - my post) but I got it done and took it to the party. I paid for my own meal and served up the cake to boot. My cousin asked me what she owed me for the cakes and I told her $50 for BOTH cakes. (Don't yell at me - I know that was way too low of a price....) She said she didn't have the money on her, but that she would bring it to the open house on Saturday. Saturday came and I delivered and set up the second cake. In addition, I made her 150 cake balls (from the two sheet cakes I broke on Wednesday....) which I did not charge her for. She loved the cake and said it was so nice of me to bring the cake balls too......went on and on about how nice I was.......told me that my other cousin (who works at Lofthouse Cookies) gave her 60 boxes of cookies for the open house and she didn't have to pay for them.....went on about how she is not working and has little money.....and then said she left her checkbook at home, but that she would get a check to me later. WHAT?!?!? I have been totally taken advantage of - I know it and it makes me mad!! It has been a week now, and I still have not been paid!!! How do I get her to pay me, without making bad blood between us? Any ideas?
LL
LL

58 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:02am
post #2 of 59

ARGH!!! I am po'ed right with you!!! Maybe you need to make a polite phone call to remind her that you still need to paid the TINY little price that you charged (which barely covers your supplies!!!)

OMG!! Can't believe I almost forgot to say how GORGEOUS both of those are!! Amazingly awesome!!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:11am
post #3 of 59

I agree, you need to say something to her. Tell her that you are basically charging for the ingredients and not all the hard work you put into it and you know money is tight but you can't just give that away and you really have to get the money from her by (insert date here).

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:22am
post #4 of 59

I would call her and say "Hey cousin I'll be around your area soom when will it be a good time for me to stop by and pick up my check I'm making another cake and I need money to buy supplies.

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:33am
post #5 of 59

I don't understand how people can do things like that! If I don't have the money to pay for something, I just don't order it! Where do these people get their nerve? You definately need to call her.
Those cakes were great! Especially the one with the fruit! Absolutely beautiful!!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:42am
post #6 of 59

I remember your earlier post about the sheetcake...ugh!! how awful. I agree with the suggestion of asking her when you can come pick up your payment. I'm sorry this happened to you...you put a lot of hard work into this!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:45am
post #7 of 59

WOw I love that saying on the sheetcake - how cute!!! And the cakes are awesome - and of course you know we'll say you definitely didn't charge enough!!! I agree that maybe you should just "swing by" the neighborhood and try to catch up with her. Or leave her a receipt at her house or mail it to her and then call her to make sure she received it. If she says she doesn't have the money now tell her she can pay you a little now and a little later but you really need the money because you were planning on it and need it to pay some bills of your own - so she should get it to you as soon as possible since you had expected it on Saturday.

Good luck! I hope everything works out well!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:47am
post #8 of 59

You're cakes were lovely....Was the aunt the mother of the cousin that ordered the cake? If so, she should be ashamed of herself. I think I would send a bill or a note too telling her when I would be picking up my money.

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:51am
post #9 of 59

Your cakes are beautiful. I feel she should have paid you for them. But with that being your Aunt and her turning 75 isn't she worth what you put into it. Look at is a labor of love for her, Not your cousin and file it for future dealings with her. Just my opinion.

BeckySue Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:21am
post #10 of 59

diamond0008 - yes this cousin is the daughter of the lady who turned 75. My family is not real close, and these two are my favorites of all the relatives. We all got a laugh at the sheet cake and my aunt cried when she saw the second cake - said it was the nicest thing anyone had done for her. The fifty dollars will almost cover what I spent on the cakes and the gas to deliver them....I know things are tight for her, but they are tight for everyone!! I did give her an AMAZING deal for the cakes and cake balls - I just feel let down....I would never let this happen with a customer, but should I just let it go since it is family? icon_redface.gif
Thanks for the support!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:31am
post #11 of 59

The cousin wouldn't be my favorite any longer. I agree with Molly2 but I would say I'll be around at this time... to pick up my CASH not check. I wouldn't trust her check!

Good luck~

Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #12 of 59

BeckySue... don't you be embarassed for being upset! It's totally normal! I don't know why people assume that just because you 'know' someone, it's ok that they don't pay. That is sending the message that taking advantage of you is alright! Now her impression is, "If you don't pay her, it won't matter... she won't say anything and you get a free cake!" I used to work for a guy who would NOT let me collect on delinquent accounts because he had aspirations of running for local office and didn't want to anger any of these people. We are talking rich people who owed him thousands upon thousands of dollars. I told him, forget their opinion, NO ONE will vote for you if you run your own business like this! IF (and only IF) you CHOOSE to not pursue payment for this cake, you should call the cousin and tell her that you know she is broke, so, while you would not normally do this, but since you love Auntie so much and had such a great time making it, then seeing her reactions, you will THIS TIME ONLY give it to her at no charge. And make it clear that this will not happen again, and that future orders will be advance payment only. I require that from all my extended family now due to ONE bad cousin experience. You can take the 'higher road' and make this all a gift, but I would be sure that cousin knows you are not being wishy-washy, you are being KIND!!! You worked hard on this, that is obvious even before you know about all the troubles you had with the sheet cakes!! (Sorry if I seem cranked, I just have a lot of personal experience with this and I don't want to see good people treated like doormats!!) *stepping off of soapbox* icon_lol.gif

BeckySue Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:26am
post #13 of 59

Melvira - It is nice to know that someone thinks of me as "good people." I do feel a little silly about getting into this situation - if it were a customer I would have had no problem taking the cake right back home with me if they didn't pay, but blood is supposed to be thicker than water....I guess I have learned my lesson - payment up front for EVERYBODY (especially if they are related LOL icon_wink.gif )

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:07am
post #14 of 59

You can choose your friends but not your family!! Write this off as a bad experience and if she wants you to make more cakes for her make sure she understands that you will require full payment before you start the cake. Tell her that you have had bad experiences of people saying that they will pay but never do! Maybe that will shame her into paying you the money she owes you.

Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 59

At least you can feel a little better about it after being able to get it off your chest here! I know that always help me!! Good luck, and don't let the rude ones get you down! Your talent, and decent customers, will take you SO far!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 59

What an awful situation. Maybe you could suggest she call her friends and family (not including you, thank you very much) and take up a collection to pay for the cake they ALL enjoyed. And, I agree, payment up front. And, in this case, no check!

The cakes are wonderful. I remember the post for the sheet cake. The fbct turned out wonderfully. Both are worth much more than you asked for. Will it even pay for your cost?

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:31pm
post #17 of 59

I'm so sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif I don't know how people like that sleep at night, she would not be in my favorite category any longer.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 59

I LOVE the saying on the sheet cake! I'm writing it down for future use. As to getting paid, you're probably out of luck. If it were me, I'd let it go. Someone has to show some class here, and unfortunately it's not going to be her. If she ever were to order another cake, I'd give some excuse why I couldn't and then mention that she never paid you for the LAST time.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

I would call her and say "Hey cousin I'll be around your area soom when will it be a good time for me to stop by and pick up my check I'm making another cake and I need money to buy supplies.

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gif

Hi, I agree with Molly2, I would just be VERY natural about!
Good luck and LOVE your cakes! Very cute!

clever_cakes311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clever_cakes311 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 59

Ok first of all, those cakes are absolutely amazing. I can only hope that I become as talented as you, cause right now my cakes are still looking "average". I've had issues with family members not wanting to pay up. It's soooo frustrating. I mean, it's almost impossible to find a good paying job as a cake decorator unless you go into business for yourself, yet everytime you turn around there's SUDDENLY a huge demand for a cake decorator from your family and friends. I agree with what's already been said, give her a call and ask when you can come pick up your payment. You may also want to tell her that you turned down another offer to do these cakes because they're family. Tell her you really need the $50 to cover the cost of the supplies you had to purchase and remind her that she wasn't even charged for the time, which is the most valuable ingredient. Good luck!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 59

I have to agree with Molly2 also. Nobody should expect a cake (or two for that matter) for free ESPECIALLY family. It would be different if she had called you initially and asked you to donate them for the party, but she didn't. Call and say you are going to be in the neighborhood and need to swing by and pick up the CASH for supplies for another cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 8:27pm
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySue

The fifty dollars will almost cover what I spent on the cakes and the gas to deliver them....I know things are tight for her, but they are tight for everyone!! I did give her an AMAZING deal for the cakes and cake balls - I just feel let down....I would never let this happen with a customer, but should I just let it go since it is family?

In my opinion I would not let let slide. What she did to you is not fair nor is it right and I do not think you should take a lose on it. She should have been more honest and upfront with you in the beginning if she wasn't willing to pay for it.

In my family if you ask me to do a cake you pay me. If I offer the cake, then it is free. It is as simple as that.

I honestly think if you try to let this go it will just feaster and bother you. Why do that to yourself? You can tell her you understand that money is tight for her, like you said, point out that it is tight for everyone. Of course if money is so tight she could have order only one cake instead of two or it could have been on a smaller scale. There are ways to work around a low budget. She got what she asked for and you shoudln't have to do have to do it for free.

Tell her all you want to recover (this time) is your cost of the supplies. Which is only fair to you. That is money out of your pocket, not to mention time out of your life that you used to do something for her that you did not have to do and was asked to do.

If you do ever do another cake for her, then I would make sure that the details of money are discussed upfront and you get paid before or on delievery. I would also charge her more than just the cost of supplies. Let her know what you will not leave the cake if she has not paid for it.

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #23 of 59

Well fist off.. you did a fab job on those cakes...so try to smile.

I know it's tough because it was family, but if she knew you were charging her she should'a paid you before the event regardless because you went otta' your way. Live and learn I guess. It makes it tough for you to do a nice thing for someone again, even family. icon_mad.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 59

Awesome cakes!

I would ask her again for the money, and then if she does not send it, I would never make her a cake again. If she asks, I would say "I'd be happy to make a cake for you, but first you owe me $50 from the last cake and another $50 for the current cake... or I don't deliver. Sorry."

Sometimes family just assumes you'll do things... so you might just have to write it off this time, but at least you'll know who not to trust for next time.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #25 of 59

Your cakes are stunningly beautiful and I'd bet they'll bring you more business because of your photos.

You're not going to see that money from this so-called cousin. But I'll bet my last nickel that she will call you again to make another cake. It may not be for a while, but she WILL call you. This will be your opportunity to say, "Sorry, I'm booked. Oh and btw, I never did get that check from you!"

She had every intention of taking advantage of you, as evidenced by her comment about the cookies.

Walk on by. What goes around comes around. You'll be rewarded at some point.

Hugs and YOU DID GOOD!

Cuppy

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 11:30pm
post #26 of 59

Your cakes are gorgeous!

I agree with Melvira and CupCake13 - if it is in your nature to let it go then do so. Your Aunt throughly enjoyed from what I've read. If there is such a thing as Karma your cousin will get her share. Revel in the fact that your cakes are beautiful and that your are very blessed to have this great skill. icon_biggrin.gif

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:33am
post #27 of 59

PLEASE don't let this person get away with this. Your work is outstanding. If you had agreed to give these cakes as a gift, that's one thing, but you gave this cousin and unbelieveably good deal, which she agreed to. She knew exactly what she was doing when she remarked on not having to pay for the other cousin's cookies and being out of work. She's trying to manipulate you. She also knew what she was doing when she convniently "forgot" to bring her checkbook for the second time.

Either you should be direct and "drop by" her house for the check over the next month. Or the next time she asks for a cake, remind her that she still owes you for the birthday cakes. Either way, I certainly wouldn't volunteer your services for the next family party.

Melvira Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 1:30am
post #28 of 59

I have to pipe up again... apparently your life is more interesting than my own because I can't stop thinking about this! icon_wink.gif Actually, I am just so tired of this happening that I am advocating against it. Here's the part that bothers me... and everyone else can think this is a selfish frame of mind, and I don't care, but this irks me... although people more than likely know that you made the cakes, and they are WOWED by your ability (as they rightly should be!) I am sure that dear cousin spared no breath in telling everyone how she was paying a small fortune for these cakes, even though she was out of work, and she is now the hero, even though she hasn't paid a penny. She probably told cookie cousin that you were charging her an outlandish amount of money that way she'd feel bad and try to 'help' by giving her free cookies. Now, this is not based on anything I know about your family obviously, and I may be WAAAAYYY off the mark, but I know people who would do this exact thing. I am not trying to get you on a white horse charging down her door, I just want to air out this thing that is stuck in my craw. Whatever the he$$ a craw is. icon_wink.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:26pm
post #29 of 59

A lot of the time family is by far some of our worst customers!

One side of my family won't buy cakes from me b/c they're cheaper at walmart. Oh well....

I agree with some of the others, do not let it slide....they may think they can take advantage of you again.

Good Luck!

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:37pm
post #30 of 59

In my experience, family and close friends are the worst at this! I'm not an especially confrontational person and have had trouble even asking for costs to cover my cakes. Mind you, I mostly do cakes as a hobby and only for friends and family, so you can see the dilemma I was having! What I had to start doing was making up a bill and attaching it to the box, or handing it to them in and envelope when they picked up the cake, or when it was delivered. I've had pretty good sucess with this and I don't have to sayanything because it's on the bill. I had one person who still hadn't paid me after 30 days, so I copied my copy of the bill (hope that makes sense) and sent it out to them with something like "In case you forgot...." written on it. I got payment the next day (with profuse apologies, no less). Anyway, I said all that to say, bills work for me---I just got an inexpensive sales order form from Wal-Mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%