Newbie Question...

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 2:53am by kkswmmr114

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 8

How do I get the cake to not dome so much when it is cooking?? I always use cake mixes as cake baking is only a hobby and not a career. I never have problems with the centers not being done or anything else, I just always have to cut off so much to make them level enough to ice. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to stop the dome?? Thank you very much!!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 8

Inverted flower nails for a heating core and/or bake even strips to wrap around the cake pan. one or both of these can help level the cake.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 8

and when you take it out, lay a paper towel over it, and kinda squash it down in the middle to level with the outsides. use an oven mitt when doing this to prevent burns.

2lilbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2lilbaker Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

It will also help if you would lower your oven temperature to 325 and use heavy aluminum pans. icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:05am
post #5 of 8

another good way to have a level cake is to invert ontop of your cooling rack as soon as it comes out of the oven and leave the pan on...keeps the cake together and also levels the bottom (keeps it moist also icon_biggrin.gif )

(If it is domed above the pan and you invert the cake set something heavy on top to weigh it down.)

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #6 of 8

Some SPONGE recipes call for NO GREASING OR FLOURING on the sides of the cakepan.....only grease/flour/paper the bottom....check your instructions and ensure you are following correctly....

kkswmmr114 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 8

Thank yall sooo much!! I always thought that domed cakes were a part of life... lol...

kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

Yay!! I started my cake this evening and the layers turned out perfectly!! They are extremely even and I owe it all to this thread!! Thank you all sooooo much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%