Overworked By Stupidity

Decorating By Sugarflowers Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm by nydeco

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 6:25am
post #1 of 12

"Stupid is as stupid does". I used to wonder what that really meant, until today.

I have a difficult wedding cake for the 21st and received an order that was just as difficult for Nov. 3rd. I honestly thought that it was due on the 20th. So I worked for days on flowers and leaves, leaves, leaves for both cakes. I baked for 14 hours and made more flowers and leaves.

I was so glad to get the birthday cake for the 101 year-old man ready, so I called the customer. She reminds me that the cake is due in TWO weeks! I had it written down correctly, my brain just went WAY off track. I just cried. Later it was funny (sort of). My only consolation was that I had not forgotten a cake for 125 people!

I still need to bake more cake for the wedding for the 21st, some of it gluten free. One set of gluten free sank, so now it has to be redone! icon_cry.gif

Thankfully, the wedding isn't until 8 p.m., so I can get caught up if I can get myself out of bed, which is where I'm going now.

I still feel about as bright as a burned out light bulb. icon_redface.gif

What a day!

Michele

11 replies
marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 6:30am
post #2 of 12

I hate when I make mistakes like that! I'm sure you'll present a beautiful cake tomorrow! Good luck, and get some sleep!

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 6:48am
post #3 of 12

Michele,

Were you baking next door to me or what? I've had the worst week and today was "the icing on the cake". I just posted a long story.

Hope we both have better tomorrows. I'm heading to bed in just a bit too.

Hugs,
Yvette

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 6:53am
post #4 of 12

Sugarflowers,

You're not stupid. Overworked and a little stressed, for sure!

I've also had this happen to me, but not with cakes. And you're right, it's not like you forgot to make the cake!

My sister, on these occasions like to say, "too many windows open" (which for computers, means that everything ssssslowsssss way down).

If machines aren't perfect, I don't think we should be too hard on ourselves. (In my case, it's probably only going to get worse icon_cry.gif )

Have a good (however short) rest and do what you do - make beautiful cakes.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 7:02am
post #5 of 12

Oh, you poor girl !!! So sorry you had such a rough day.

Don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.

Galatians 6:9, NLT

Hang in there, Sister. The sun'll come out tomorrow.

Hugs

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 7:08am
post #6 of 12

Oh, shoot fire! Bummer deluxe! I totally feel for you! Sure hope some well deserved rest will rejuvenate your senses and it all will come together as planned when you rise.

Best Wishes to YOU!
I will be thinking about you and all your hard work!

Deb

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 7:19am
post #7 of 12

Get some good nights sleep and a fresh day with a fresh mind always helps. Take some deep breaths and relax. I don't have wedding cakes. But I also am on a cake marathon myself. I have my nieces B-Day cake and her mom wanted cupcakes for preschool for her B-Day. Then she called and asked OH by the way can you do a cake for her oldest girls Girl Scout Halloween Party. OK I say. But I also have Great nephews 1st B-Day cake and my DD haunted castle cake for next weekend that I need to prep. Her castle is going to stress me. One because she is going to help me (she is going to icon_cool.gif I love her but UUGGHH icon_cry.gif Sometimes she helps to much. Plus the little cakes for the kids to decorate at her party. I have cupcakes down thumbs_up.gif Nieces B-Day can is crumb coated and a light coat of icing. It is a choc. cake with lt. pink icing so I am going to apply another thin coat to make sure sides get covered. And other nieces cake is in the oven. I had to take a break so here I am. Tomorrow is another day. Hey it is Sat. all good. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesUnleashed Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 12

How are things going, now that you have been able to rest? Ooooops! Wasn't thinking that you may be too busy to respond....

Well, let us all know how it went. We will be waiting to hear the news!!

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:04am
post #9 of 12

Thank you everyone for your support. I made it through the weekend, but no without a few more bumps.

Some of the wedding cake had to be gluten free, which is tough enough, but the baking powder that I have that is gluten free had died. I didn't know what was causing my cakes to fall at first because gluten free does it's own thing. When I had to make an additional regular cake with the baking powder and it didn't rise, I was really baffled. I had run out of my regular baking powder, cake flour, AND the super fine sugar, so I wasn't sure what was causing so many problems. I know the cake flour and super fine sugar have made a big difference in the texture of my cakes, so at first I thought it was that. Then it occurred to me that I had used the different baking powder.

I had to re-bake the top tier (gluten-free), plus three kitchen cakes Saturday morning. The last kitchen cake was made in the afternoon. Not only did I not have time to re-make the kitchen cake, I had no flour, sugar, baking powder, or eggs.

The bouquets I had to make were still in pieces and some of the leaves turned out badly, so I had to replace them with some stalks that I had used on my wedding cake in Tulsa. They looked better than the original idea anyway and they were ready to go. I just had to remove a few flowers from them.

I had one bouquet almost finished and my husband helped me finish up the groom's cake and kitchen cakes, plus loading the Jeep. He drove while I finished the main bouquet and made the small bouquet in the car with a flashlight. Amazingly, I only broke one flower and leaf and could just cut them off.

We made it to the wedding/reception site 10 minutes before the wedding and because of the location I had to continually weave through people. I would set one part of the cakes down and RUN back to where my husband was setting the others. Then he was running the kitchen cakes down stairs while I set up everything else.

As for the massive birthday cake made two weeks in advance, I removed the gumpaste flowers and leaves and then gave the cake to a homeless shelter in the city. They were very happy to get it.

I have been considering getting out of the business due to the stress and meager pay and this cinched it for me. I plan to finish my obligations to current orders and then I'm done. I still will enter competitions because I love them, but I don't want to go through this nightmare again. I want cake decorating to be a hobby, not a burden. I really do enjoy designing cakes, but it's too much pressure to have to have everything perfect and perfectly fresh for a person's very important day. I just don't have it in me any more.

Thanks for letting me vent and again, for your support.

Michele

CakesUnleashed Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:09am
post #10 of 12

Wow! I hope you will still continue to create all those awesome cakes! And I certainly wish you the best in all your endeavours. Remember us here at CC and post those pics as often as you can!

Best Wishes for Peace and Happiness!

Deb

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 12

CakesUnleashed,

I haven't given up on cakes entirely. I just don't want to make them for the public any more. I will still enter competitions and continue logging on to this site. This site lets me get things off my chest with others who understand. I'm not ready to give that up! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for all of the support.

Michele

nydeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydeco Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

I feel your pain!! You poor thing ! I just got done this summer with five wedding cakes ,five showers, and all the trimmings.to make at home. All while working as a cake decorator making cakes all day long . I was dreaming about cakes !!! icon_cry.gif I have done that too I thought one shower was one weekend , come to find out I filipped flopped the dates for " some " reason ( gee I wonder icon_confused.gif lol) and to have to scrammble to get all the "right " supplies and bake with in just a few days.
Hang in there babe!! As soon as it's said and done , take what profits you get and go pamper your self !! A sholder and arm massage ( right down to your finger tips !!!) Try it !! It's absoulutely fantastic therapy!!! Indulge !!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%