Train Cake

Decorating By bafishr Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm by harrisonsmama

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 11

Help! I was just asked to do a cake in the shape of a train (not Thomas) and have no clue where to start. Any ideas on how to either shape one, I have carved cakes but never attempted a 3-D cake so I'm not sure if it would be too difficult. It isn't needed until the end of the month. TIA

10 replies
caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 11
mridula Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mridula Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 11

You can do a search in cakecentral->galleries with the keyword 'train'

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

I made a train cake for my nephew...I cooked the cakes in loaf pans (miniature paper ones). I used oreo cookies with an m&m attached to the center for wheels, used a covered piece of laminate wood flooring and laid out a licorice track to set the train pieces on. I ground up chocolate graham crackers for the dirt around the "track" and for "coal" and used candy pieces to decorate. I made one car a log car and used long pretzels for logs. Everyone loved it.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 11

Hi, i just want to show you the one i did. Mine of course was for a baby shower you could change the colors and maybe change a few things.
Also i did this as a show piece and made a serving cake for the party.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=45573

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 11

On my cake board, I piped a small lake and lined it with choc. covered raisins. Wished I had candy rocks on hand. I used rolled out tootsie rolls for a coupler. I hollowed out a loaf pan and filled it with lollipops. I stuck them in fondant to get them to stay up.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:42am
post #8 of 11

I too have done a train cake--3D....I cheated big time [this was a few years ago...didn't know as much as I do now and I still have more to learn! icon_lol.gif ]....I tried making a box mix and just cutting it. I got mad that the canned frosting was tearing it up that I ran to the store and used Sara Lee pound cakes. NOW I would suggest the WASC recipe would be good for this and to use loaf pans. You can go to my photos to see my train cake..I have 5 pictures of it..one overall and one of each 'car'. It might give you other ideas, anyway.

Well, here's the main cake link of mine...http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=315793

Good luck!

bafishr Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for all your help. CC'er' are great!

bafishr Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 11

Should have been CC'er's icon_redface.gif

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 11

You can look at the one in my photos. It was a circus train- which scares me, but I did exactly what the customer wanted and they loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%