3D Darth Vader Done!

Decorating By jammadave Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 11:12am by Tilomilo

jammadave Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

OK - so, third "production cake" down - I'm just going to have to stop counting my first cake ever, since it was a practice for my first production cake and was nearly identical (the NES)...

This one was for my girlfriend's 28th birthday. I used Justin's (rockstarcakes) PDF file as the inspiration, but once I read it I just left it here at work. In hindsight I would have gotten a couple of the details more accurate if I had kept that with me. All I had to look at were a Lego minifigure (about 1.5" tall) and a photoshopped picture where my girl had put DV's head on her ex-husband in their wedding photo. (She has an unhealthy attachment to Darth Vader, shall we say =0) ) - And I was never a big SW fan myself, so I wasn't intimately familiar with all the cuts and angles on the mask.

At any rate, I think my cake turned out pretty good. The details were not quite as perfect on the mask as Justin's, but mine looked a little more "eeeee-vil" I think. And this one was huge - Six 9" rounds stacked, bigger than my head.

Note: the rear flare of the helmet was intended to be fondant, but I basically ran out of time, and just used the glossy black posterboard that I was going to use underneath the fondant anyway.

Here's a "done" pic, and a link to the whole process. My digicam is dead again and I can't find the battery charger, my apologies for the pics from my phone. (Some other partygoers got real pics, though, I'll have those soon I hope)

Link: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/jammadave/DVcake/

Edit: posted image was huge and made the post hard to read, attaching a smaller one.

Please note: as I carved, and later pieced the fondant together, I realized that the same cake could have easily become a skull, or a ninja (there's definitely some Scorpion/Sub-Zero happening there for a moment...) so feel free to be inspired!

Cheers!
Dave
LL

8 replies
Shamitha Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 9

Wow. It looks great.Well done Dave thumbs_up.gif

Iheartcake Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 9

That looks amazing. WELL DONE!! thumbs_up.gif

dabear Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 9

Awesome job! My son wants me to make this for him. I hope mine looks as good as yours!

mamacc Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #5 of 9

Wow!!!! Awesome job!

Courtney

Sandi4tpc Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #6 of 9

AWESOME!! I made sure to go add it to my faves! My son and husband are going to be fighting for this one! Thanks for sharing your photo-steps and all...I think I'll be needing them!!

ps...I have lots of Star Wars stuff all over my house and I thought your light saber was just like one of the toy ones we have around here....in other words...great job there too!

cocorum21 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

awesome cake!.....thanks for the "in progress" pictures also.

lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 9

Brilliant cake, a friend of mine would love this thumbs_up.gif

Tilomilo Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 11:12am
post #9 of 9

A[RIGHT]Hi, I was following your link to look at the tutorial photos but it's password protected, I was hoping you would provide this please :) thank you [/RIGHT]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%