Pastillage Help?

Decorating By bdrider Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm by bdrider

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone tell me if after the pastillage has dried, if it can be cut easily if it were attached to the side of a cake? I'm debating trying it for a castle cake I have coming up, but I'm curious to how one would use it in that capacity having never used it myself.

Is it better used where it would just be popped off and then the cake cut? If its attached to the cake with buttercream, would it become mushy again after drying?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5

No, you really can't cut pastillage once dried. You would need to remove the pieces in order to cut the cake.

HTH
Rae

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 5

Pastillage gets very hard. You'd need to remove it before serving the cake, as there is no cutting through it. icon_smile.gif

Arty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arty Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

I am new to using pastillage (I used it to make a wedding cake topper recently, check it out in my photos). It does dry very hard and would only shatter if you tried to cut.
If you still want to get a good solid shape without it being too hard. I would suggest you mixing the pastillage with fondant 50/50 mix. You may need to apply it to cake (if it is for sides to be sticking out) with royal icing not buttercream, as the buttercream may not be strong enough to hold it in place.

I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 5

Hmm. First.. thank you. Second.. Has anyone ever covered the outside of a castle cake with pastillage? If so, was it a huge HUGE pain ( and or mess) to pop off the pieces before cutting? Perhaps I should just stick with using this stuff for the turrets? I'm guessing it dries quicker than gumpaste too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%