Wilton Contest - I Don't Think It's Fair!

Decorating By mrskennyprice Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 3:58pm by stephanie214

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 49

2 of the semi-finalist entries were straight out of Debbie Brown's books! I know the contest rules don't say you can't enter someone else's design, but I thought part of the judging was on design creativity - if I had even THOUGHT that people would enter other people's designs, I may have entered one of Colette's designs. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's cheating! What do you all think? Am I being overly fanatical/sensitive?

48 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 49

I noticed that too. I made sure I didn't vote for them. If they're not voted for they won't win.

Debbie

I just wanted to add that they did a great job but they were obvious and I thought something a little more original should win. Just my opinion.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 49

omg really?i totally agree!!!!anyone can reproduce a cake from a book...i thought you were not allowed....or else i would have done it!!!! that pisses me off!!!!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 49

I agree that if you enter something, it should be your own design. Or at the very least, not a copy of someone elses. YOu can use their design to inspire, but not to copy.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 49

Would you post the link for this contest? I would think in any contest it should be an original design, but I have never entered one so what do I know icon_lol.gif

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 49

I was thinking the exact same thing. Granted they did a really nice job but still....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 49

those two cakes ( the castle and the tree trunk cake) are both by the same person too!!! I would think since only ONE person from ONE household can win.......that they would pick the best of that person's and allow someone else to take that spot?? That doesn't seem right either! But then again, if those two cakes both took the top two places........i'm sure they'd bump one down per the contest rules!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 49

From a book or not, they still did a great job on them! I think the person who made those two cakes is a member here. Just because the original came from a book doesn't mean anyone could pull it off...especially like this person did. I think they did a great job on them, copies or not.

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 49

Here's the link...

www.decoratetocelebrate.wilton.com

I'm relieved to know it's not just me...is there any way I can send this thread to Wilton? The people on this board probably make up better than 75% of Wilton's annual sales!!

jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

those two cakes ( the castle and the tree trunk cake) are both by the same person too!!! I would think since only ONE person from ONE household can win.......that they would pick the best of that person's and allow someone else to take that spot?? That doesn't seem right either!

I do agree that it should be one entry per person.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 49

[quote="jen1977"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

those two cakes ( the castle and the tree trunk cake) are both by the same person too!!! I would think since only ONE person from ONE household can win.......that they would pick the best of that person's and allow someone else to take that spot?? That doesn't seem right either!

I may be mistaken but those two cakes were submitted by someone on cakecentral.I have seen them on here somewhere.

mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 49

I was also surprised to see that they picked two of her cakes. She is a cc'er, her screen name is cakesunleashed. i actually had both of them in my favorites thumbs_up.gif they are very nicely done.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 49

She is a CC'er and I say congrats to her! If I could have not 1 but 2 of my cakes make it to semi's then I would be thrilled! It didn't say it had to be your own design & I'm sure she had her own touch to it so it is indeed hers. Lets just be happy for those who made it, i didn't but there is next year.

jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

She is a CC'er and I say congrats to her! If I could have not 1 but 2 of my cakes make it to semi's then I would be thrilled! It didn't say it had to be your own design & I'm sure she had her own touch to it so it is indeed hers. Lets just be happy for those who made it, i didn't but there is next year.

I agree! She did a great job, even if the idea came from a book. Not many people could pull them off like she did!

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 49

I should have known!!! I'm a big fan of cakesunleashed!! LOL Nuff said........I gotta vote FOR her!

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

I was also surprised to see that they picked two of her cakes. She is a cc'er, her screen name is cakesunleashed. i actually had both of them in my favorites thumbs_up.gif they are very nicely done.

I knew I had seen them on here.I am glad someone on cc made it.I say congrats to cakesunleashed!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 49

I don't think it's unfair that she used other people's designs to isnpire her creations. Regardless of where the idea came from, it was her creativity and talent that brought them to life from the pages of a book.

However, I do agree that the entries should be limited to one per person. That, of course, isn't the fault of the person who has entered the contest, but the people holding the contest. Believe me, if I had several cakes that I thought had a snowballs chance in he!! of winning I'd enter them all.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcromwell

I don't think it's unfair that she used other people's designs to isnpire her creations. Regardless of where the idea came from, it was her creativity and talent that brought them to life from the pages of a book.

However, I do agree that the entries should be limited to one per person. That, of course, isn't the fault of the person who has entered the contest, but the people holding the contest. Believe me, if I had several cakes that I thought had a snowballs chance in he!! of winning I'd enter them all.

I have to agree. The rules do not say you cannot copy somebody elses creations and Debbie Brown & others write those books knowing the cakes are going to be copied. If I thought I could copy somebody's cake and make it look that good, I'd be putting on my apron really fast. The rules also allow you to enter more than one cake, but you can only win once so all's fair as long as the rules are followed.

Here's wishing everyone who entered good luck.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 49

I'm going to go ahead & apologize now, because I'm going to make someone mad with my comment. I really don't want to. If we shouldn't use ideas from others then why do we have Cake Central? Now, I agree when I lost in the school bake-off to faculty I thought it was unfair for them to compete with students. I had to accept the fact that my compatetive spirit got a ding in it. I say" Congrats" to anyone who got that far in competition.
We all use others designs for cakes & tweak them to our style. Let's support our fellow CCer's; not bring them down. They might really be having a bad day & you never know what a negative comment could do. I hope I didn't make anyone angry with me, but I seem to do that alot lately. icon_redface.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm
post #21 of 49

Who cares if its a Debbie Brown inspired cake? She altered it to add her own touches to it. All of cakesunleashed cakes are beautiful and I have no doubt that no matter what she entered she would have made it this far anyway. Plus, if you look at the other cakes entered...there are others that are inspired by other decorators also. Congratulations cakesunleashed for getting this far in the contest! party.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm
post #22 of 49

icon_lol.gif You CC'rs are sure loyal!! Seems like all the posts before we found out it was a member from here were against the rules but then after that revelation, they are all good.....

You guys are more protective and supportive then my family is!! icon_smile.gif

Not trying to insult anyone, I just noticed it, that's all...... If I am going to be totally honest, I am the least creative person on the planet and if it weren't for the galleries here at CC, all my cakes would be white with a shell border! icon_surprised.gif As for contest entry, I have no clue....... on one hand it seems better that only one can win but on the other hand, what if all their cakes rock? Thank God I am no where's near good enough for competition!

Congrats to everyone who competed - you guys are more brave then me!

oreochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oreochic Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:59pm
post #23 of 49

Ok I have to say that the cakes are very good! And I have looked at her cakes here on CC many times & all her cakes are good. As for the contest rules etc. She did make changes to the design so it isnt technically a copy, right?? Im sure we would all like to see something new & original but they are worthy of an award regardless! Even if it was a direct copy of the original I wouldnt be able to do that good of a job!
thumbs_up.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #24 of 49

Well I recognized the tree cake from Debbie Brown, but I didn't recognize the castle.... the castle is something similar to Debbie's too??? In which book?

I was really happy for her that she had two cakes in the competition b/c I just thought that was really awesome - I didn't think it was unfair.... but maybe I don't know the rules?? Were you allowed to enter in two entries in the same category?

I say congrats to cakesunleashed! I LOVE that castle cake! In fact, I was having a hard time deciding between that and one of the garden cakes (the one right below the castle cake) and I was so happy that I got to pick two choices b/c then I got to pick both!!! icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:11pm
post #25 of 49

[quote="CakeDiva73"]icon_lol.gif You CC'rs are sure loyal!! Seems like all the posts before we found out it was a member from here were against the rules but then after that revelation, they are all good.....

You guys are more protective and supportive then my family is!! icon_smile.gif

quote]

You're right...even though I was supportive from the beginning icon_wink.gif I say if you can get the idea from a book and pull it off as wonderful as she did, she deserves to win!

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

I was having a hard time deciding between that and one of the garden cakes (the one right below the castle cake) and I was so happy that I got to pick two choices b/c then I got to pick both!!! icon_smile.gif

That one is by "boween" another CCer!!!

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #27 of 49

Now that I have finally seen these (thanks to the person who posted the link), I would love to know how the person made those Christmas ornament cupcakes! They are so perfectly round and real looking!

Jen1977, I was thinking the same thing. Probably the majority of all the cakes are from people here, we just don't know it. I just think if I was Wilton having this contest, I would want it to be an original cake using Wilton supplies so that it could be used in a future Wilton publication.

mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:47pm
post #28 of 49

I know I love those oranment cupcakes. How do you think she did them. They are very cool.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 9:10pm
post #29 of 49

I'd love to know how the ornament cupcakes were made as well. They are soooo cool!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 9:20pm
post #30 of 49

I am more interested in the ornament cupcakes.. I think they are awesome and very unique. With the cakes, I see them here everyday. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%