Cake To Serve 100 People

Decorating By patton Updated 16 Jul 2005 , 1:13am by traci

patton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,
I'm relatively new at baking cakes for people other than my family. Someone has requested that I bake a birthday cake that will serve 100 people. The birthday boy will be 30 and they wondered if I could make the cake in the shape of "30". I would very much appreciate any suggestions. I thought I might be able to find numeral pans somewhere, but haven't located any yet. I thought maybe I could put the numerals on top of a cake...or something. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering what to charge. I called the local bakery and they sell
a sheet cake with a few roses on it, to serve 96, for $57. I'm thinking that $57 is a rather low price. I was thinking of charging $.75 per serving???? Is that a fair price??? I'd love to hear anyone's opinion.

Thanks so much.

Lin

13 replies
KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 14

To me pricing should depend on whether or not cake is homemade and how elaborate as well as how experienced the decorator is sometimes even amount of notice given to make cake and whether or not cake is delivered and set up etc can factor in as well for me. I don't think $0.75 is too much for ANYONE to charge though.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 14

I saw Wilton number pans on ebay.com yesterday. Not sure if they are gone though...

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 14

Okay, here's a bunch if you don't need them right away...

http://search.ebay.com/wilton-number-pans_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I don't recall ever seeing them in a store.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 14

pricing policy varies from person to person, and should vary depending on the kind of product and service you're providing. a good rule of thumb is your total costs x 3. be sure to include in your costs an amount for tools and other materials (boards, boxes) you use, gas if you're delivering the cake, etc. if it costs you $30 to make a cake to feed 100 people, it's not unreasonable to charge $90 (that's 90 cents a serving, which you could not buy individual desserts ANYWHERE for, unless you were serving donuts). and that's for a basic decorated cake. for additional decorations, like color flow or floodwork or really elaborate decorating, you should charge extra.

the local bakery charges so little because they get their materials wholesale, have low labour costs (bakers and decorators generally don't get paid well), don't deliver, and is probably not making their cakes from scratch or more natural ingredients.

for the cake to serve 100, you're going to have to make a very large 3 and 0, unless you want to have a carved 30 cake ON TOP of another cake. i would ask the person who requested the cake if the birthday man has any hobbies or interest or profession that can provide some inspiration for a cake. and remember, you don't have to do buttercream and roses or novelties: adults like dessert cakes. you can make beautiful cakes with berries and stabilzed whipped cream or whipped topping (you can pipe simple borders or basketweaves, ruffles, etc. with it), or do a chocolate mocha cake with chocolate decorations. use your imagination. ask if the birthday man has a favourite candy or chocolate bar, and do a cake that incorporates those flavours.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt-judy

pricing policy varies from person to person, and should vary depending on the kind of product and service you're providing. the local bakery charges so little because they get their materials wholesale, have low labour costs (bakers and decorators generally don't get paid well), don't deliver, and is probably not making their cakes from scratch or more natural ingredients.

You know I was thinking about making a portfolio of my cakes. My sister really thinks I should get the word out about my cakes. I was looking for ways of explaining why my cakes (in some opinions) were high. I don't think they are, but anyhow. If you don't mind may I use what you just said? You pin pointed all the right rules about homemade cakes vs store bought cakes. I also heard someone else say that just because you hear the word "homemade" it doesn't mean " inexpensive".
I think it means hard work, custom made and not frozen!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 4:30am
post #7 of 14

Here is one that I did. I made a template of a 3 and 0...and then cut the numbers out of pound cake. I then stacked them on top of a sheet cake. It was time consuming cutting out the numbers...For this cake you should charge at least 100.00. Your time and effort is worth it! Can't wait to see what you do! icon_razz.gif
traci
LL

patton Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks so much for the idea, and also for the price-to-charge input. Your cake is beautiful. I'm wondering, how many servings from this particular cake?

Lin

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 14

I live in NJ and the norm here is to serve filled cakes. For 100 people I usually offer a "full" sheet cake, which for me is 2 12x17" cakes put together side by side. Each 12 x 17 cake is two layers of cake with one layer of filling. I usually charge a base price of $110 If I were putting numbers on the top, made of cake, I would charge an extra $10 The base price of $110 includes any basic decorations like borders and flowers only.

patton Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 14

To KayDay, mvucic, aunt-judy, traci!

Thanks for sharing your expertise! I'm keeping tabs on the numeral pans at ebay, and will keep the pricing suggestions from aunt-judy always handy! The photo of the cake from traci, with "30" on top, is wonderful. A picture is worth a thousand words. icon_smile.gif

Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly!

Lin

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 14

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/pans/pantastic.htm

Look at the bottom of the page on the link above. These are the plastic pantastic number pans for $4.00 ea. I have a couple of these. They work great and are small enough to place on top of a sheet cake. A lot less expensive than the Wilton ones too!

Debbie

patton Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 14

Gingoodies, I just now saw your reply and wanted to say thanks to you also. Knowing the size (pans, layers, etc) you bake your cakes to serve 100 is very helpful.

Just wondering...how do you get such a large cake to the destination?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 14

I am able to purchase a full sheet cake box which measures 28 x 18 x 5 " You might be able to get a box at your local bakery I also use a large cake board 25 x 18" to put the cake on also I would double the board as the cake will be heavy

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 1:13am
post #14 of 14

Patton, the cake I did with the 30 on top was a 12x18 sheet pan. Here in Houston...we consider that a 3/4 sheet. I usually tell clients that they can get anout 50-60 servings depending on how they cut the pieces. With the 30 on top...I would add another 12 pieces. On yours...I would probably go with the full sheet on the bottom. If you are having trouble finding a good sturdy board...you can go to Home Depot and have them cut a piece of scrap wood to the size you need. I have had it done for about a 1.00. I am sure whatever you decide to do it will turn out great! thumbs_up.gif
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%