Toba Garrett's Chocolate Cake

Decorating By LorraineF Updated 13 Sep 2015 , 5:06am by deuceofcakes

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 30

Does anyone have experience with this recipe? I have made it twice, and both times it sank in the middle. I used a flower nail, magic strips, I have an oven thermometer, and I can't figure it out. The first time it was 2 - 9" layers, this time it was one 12" layer. I even weighed all the ingredients on a digital scale instead of measuring. Is it me--maybe this recipe just doesn't like me?

29 replies
LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 30

bumping myself

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 30

bumping myself again

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 30

and yet again

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 30

one more time

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 30

one more time - bump- then I give up.

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 30

bummmmp

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 30

sorry never used the recipe.....but just sounds like its not getting totally cooked

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 30

I tested it - toothpick test--came out dry.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 30

Just finished reading her book, want to try making choco cake this weekend. Will let you know if I have any problems with the cake. I plan to use 9 x 2 rounds.

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 30

I'd appreciate hearing your experience with it. Maybe it's supposed to be really dense.

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 30

Another idea for you would be to go to amazon.com and look up the book, and see if any other readers had problems with the cake.

You could also try searching some other cake decorating websites that are like this. They aren't as big (or as nice) but there are a handful out there.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 30

THis is the only chocolate cake that I make. I've had a couple of times when it has sank as well. I don't know why it is doing that either.

Rachel

LorraineF Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 30

Actually I had checked the recipe out on several sites and wanted to make it based on the rave reviews it got. No one said anything about problems other that a couple of people said the cake "crumbles" when it's cut into. Oh, well. Maybe I'll stick to the chocolate fudge cake in Whimsical Bakehouse.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 30

I have made this cake with great success and recently it has not been turning out for me!!! so frustrating, I had to rebake 2 layers of 14" square!!!!

However, the last time I baked it, I turned the oven back down to 325--which was what I was doing before I must have got in a hurry, and it is baking right again. You need to be patient with this cake because it takes a seriously long time to bake! even when the cake tester comes out clean, give it about 5 mins more and make sure the top springs back when pressed with your finger. It is great if it looks cracked on top.

Now, when it's fully baked, it will still sink back down a bit which actually helps with levelling. The best luck with with large layers is to bake one layer at a time instead of torting it.

I don't want to give up on this recipe because it is the best choc recipe I have come across. (much better than WBH). I get raves on this cake. It is a little more crumbly than say, a white cake, but it's dense and rich like a brownie.

Here is a picture of what the cake looks like when sliced.
LL

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:35pm
post #16 of 30

Oh my goodness, that DOES look lucious! icon_surprised.gif

Shalan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalan Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:51pm
post #17 of 30

That looks divine!!! Would anyone care to share the recipe or tell me where I can get the recipe? Thanks.

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #18 of 30

Lorraine,
I made it this past weekend and it sunk on me, too. When I pulled it out or the oven it was fine, but after cooling a few minutes, well, it sunk. I loaded up on Chocolate BC and that make it look level, but I hate for my cakes to do that. I tried one other recipe out of that book, the French Vanilla BC. What a waste of ingredients. I followed the recipe to the letter and it tasted like just like plain ol butter! I had to add almost a pound of powdered sugar to make it sweet enough. Maybe Im just used to sweet icing. I dont know. Anyway, if you figure it out let me know! I need a really good scratch chocolate cake recipe. I've used the one on the back of the Hershey cocoa can and it sinks really bad in the middle and plus it runs out all over my oven. icon_mad.gif I HATE that! But it tastes good.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #19 of 30

Not knowing what the ingredients are is there a possibility of it "whipping" up and being more fluffy? I mean could it be over mixed and there is air in the batter? It would bake up and fall when it cools--just a thought since that has happened to me with a scratch white cake a couple of times.

LorraineF Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 30

Leta--that is one seriously gorgeous cake! It must weigh a ton! I had been baking the cake at 350--it developed a very dense crust both times and actually started sinking before I took it out of the oven.

Shalan--The recipe can be found on Epicurious.com

Bakerchick--There's another one on Epicurious that's good too--Double Chocolate Layer Cake. I also like the Whimsical Bake House chocolate cake. You can check the recipe section here--I've gotten several to try there. Hershey's Black Magic is supposed to be good, although I haven't tried it yet.

I think if I tried this one more time DH would think I was nuts--last night he said "let me get this right, you baked it once, it failed, so you wanted to do it again on a bigger cake?" But he ate it anyway!

So I baked the WBH cake, tried to layer it too soon, and one layer cracked. I hope the thing holds up until Saturday. This isn't my week! icon_biggrin.gif

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:33pm
post #21 of 30

I've made this cake with the same results (the sinking), HOWEVER, the cake was divine. One of the best chocolate cakes I tasted. What was even better was the part that crusted on/over the edge!! My kids and I were fighting over that as I was cutting the edge to make it look nicer for frosting. lol.

Add her chocolate buttercream frosting to it, and you have one chocolately heaven cake!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Tina

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineF

Actually I had checked the recipe out on several sites and wanted to make it based on the rave reviews it got. No one said anything about problems other that a couple of people said the cake "crumbles" when it's cut into. Oh, well. Maybe I'll stick to the chocolate fudge cake in Whimsical Bakehouse.

I think I finally figured out why mine was falling in the center. It's from testing with the toothpick before it's done enough. It seems to "let the air out" or something and it doesn't rise back up when you closed the oven door to continue baking. It's only done it with certain recipes. Chocolate would most likely be one of those to do this because you use baking soda instead of baking powder most of the time...because of the dutch process cocoa. I have Toba's new book but haven't tried that recipe yet. I'll give it a fling this weekend.

TrisCorey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrisCorey Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #23 of 30

I just bought a cook book, America's Test Kitchen. All the recipes in it are supposed to have been tested at least 20 to 30 times. They have both a chocolate cake and a devil's food chocolate cake, both scratch, that I am going to try. I am hoping that they are really fool proof as they say.

I will try it out and let everyone here know if it is a good recipe. I have been looking for a really good recipe as well.

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #24 of 30

It looks like such a good recipe. I will try it next week. I'm intrigued now! So now you can tell your husband not only are you trying the failed cake recipe, you have others trying it too! Ha ha ha

I have tried the Hershey one on the back of the can and it works well for both me and a friend of mine. We've both made it many times without sinking (although it's isn't my favorite tasting, but it's not bad.)

jeking Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineF

Does anyone have experience with this recipe? I have made it twice, and both times it sank in the middle. I used a flower nail, magic strips, I have an oven thermometer, and I can't figure it out. The first time it was 2 - 9" layers, this time it was one 12" layer. I even weighed all the ingredients on a digital scale instead of measuring. Is it me--maybe this recipe just doesn't like me?

I think I finally figured out why mine was falling in the center. It's from testing with the toothpick before it's done enough. It seems to "let the air out" or something and it doesn't rise back up when you closed the oven door to continue baking. It's only done it with certain recipes. Chocolate would most likely be one of those to do this because you use baking soda instead of baking powder most of the time...because of the dutch process cocoa.

LorraineF Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:37am
post #26 of 30

Jeking--
Are you supposed to use Dutch process cocoa? I didn't see that. Maybe that's my problem.
Anyway, I made the WBH cake and it came out great--very moist, dense and chocolatey--not as dense as Toba's, but still very good.
Thanks for all the input--you all are the best!

jeking Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:47pm
post #27 of 30

From my reading I understand that dutch process cocoa requires baking soda instead of baking powder. If your recipes calls for baking soda, you should be using a dutch process cocoa...or so I've been told. Maybe that's why I had problems before. Since I've changed and been doing it this way, I haven't had any more problems. Also, I try not to "test" too soon!

HobbybakerMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbybakerMum Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 30
Danielle Pearce
Hi I just bought her new book professional cake decorating the second edition. Upon looking though I have compared the recipes in the book for the chocolate fudge cake and the yellow cake and they look different to those on the epicurious website. For example with the chocolate fudge cake recipe all of the ingredients are the same except for the flour and Cocoa. In the book that I have the quantities for the flour and Cocoa are less. Does anyone know what the correct quantities are please? Also the yellow cake looks completely different. So I am not sure which recipes are correct? Also with the yellow cake recipe on the website, the quantity in cups does not match the weight. For example it states 3 cups of flour (330 gram). But 3 cups is actually more than that. Anyone have that problem?  Thanks
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 4:32pm
post #29 of 30

Personally, I upped the flour in both recipes.  375 grams for chocolate fudge cake, and 350 for yellow cake.

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 5:06am
post #30 of 30

I've made a couple of her cake recipes a while ago and wasn't impressed. I don't use her books for cake recipes anymore  as there are better options out there that don't fail or sink regularly. I suspect if the cake is sinking, there may be too much liquid relative to dry ingredients or the amount of leavening is off  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%