Cake Was Hiddeous

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 10:11pm by MAK

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 13

So I had my first real customer, that wasnt family or a friend, this weekend. I'm not even totally sure how she found me. But she called and wanted two baby shower cakes as they were having one shower at 2pm with friends and another at 5pm with family. So the customer chooses a sheet cake for one of the orders with a nice scalopped fondant overlay and a ribbon and a tier cake. The tiered cake turned out awful. The first picture it what it looked like when i went to bed at 2am. The second is after I took it apart and tried again. I told the lady in the begining that the top tier would not look exactly like a baby block because it wouldnt be a perfect squate, but this was even uglier than I had expected. Can anyone suggest something I could have done to make it better?
LL
LL

12 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 13

its not that bad

to get a nice block shape, i would have done another layer on each square. making it 6" high

also, it is hard to get those nice crisp corners with fondant without really using those fondant smoothers (nicholas shows students how in one of his classes).

hope that helps..just my two cents

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

I am of no means a expert at fondant so I can't really help you there but it does look like you could of used another layer on each block like onceuponacake said.

But over all I bet they were pleased!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 13

I am of no means a expert at fondant so I can't really help you there but it does look like you could of used another layer on each block like onceuponacake said.

But over all I bet they were pleased!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:06am
post #5 of 13

It was a cute cake idea...Did you use dowels to support the tiers? Stacked cakes cakes put a lot of weight on the bottom cake, even without the fondant. I have found doweling makes a world of difference. thumbs_up.gif

mmgiles Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #6 of 13

i did dowel, but you couldnt tell cause it was so ugly. i just felt so bad delivering this cake. i think she hated it even though she didnt say anything. the only compensation i had was that the other cake was really cute.

mmgiles Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:26am
post #7 of 13

i did dowel, but you couldnt tell cause it was so ugly. i just felt so bad delivering this cake. i think she hated it even though she didnt say anything. the only compensation i had was that the other cake was really cute.

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #8 of 13

Did you charge her for it?

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 13

I would also suggest using another layer to get it perfectly square or trimming down a two layered tier until it is square if you don't want the extra height. Don't think you have to stick with what comes out of the pan. I use square and circular pans for my cakes, but 9/10 times I end up carving the cakes into the shapes I need them.

As for covering the cakes, for really tight corners on square cakes, I cover my cakes with fondant cut out to the shapes I need. If I'm making a box, I will cut five squares and stick them to the cake instead of trying to lay a sheet of fondant down over the cakes then creasing and begging the corners to go into and stay in place.

We all have our dealings with fondant!! My first few cakes using fondant came out horribly!! But you get better with practice! Just like everything else. My fondant kit has grown to include a clay gun, pizza cutters, smoothers, shapers, embossers, rollers, you name it. Don't be afraid to use or adapt whatever tools you need to make that stuff do what YOU want it to.

All things get better with practice! Good luck!!

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 13

I think your cake looks fine, but if it makes you feel any better, this was my first real customer's cake - it was years ago, and I was still experimenting. This is also after my second try, but my buttercream kept sliding!

(believe it or not, this is the BEST picture I have. It was a complete disaster!)
LL

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 13

I would have done what another member suggested and shaped the cake into a true square. "Thinking outside of the pan" is my motto!!! Also cutting the fondant to size and placing on the sides of cake will give it more of a square look.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 13

I was also thinking that you could just cut the cakes to make sure they are perfectly square and then cut out the squars of fondant separtely and put them on. Also I find the colors leave a lot to be desired for a baby cake. Pastel colors might have made a difference in the overall appearance. I also find the the bottom design doent quite blend in with the baby block idea myself I would have either made it a baby block as well or just a solid color with a trim. JMHO hope you dont get angry as that is not my intention.

MAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAK Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 13

It looks like the icing underneath the fondant is sliding. The underlying icing needs to be pretty stable or the weight of the fondant will just crush it. Also, did you dowel the 2nd tier?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%