Smoothing Buttercream

Decorating By BMAC01 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm by bunnys26

BMAC01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BMAC01 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

icon_confused.gif ALMOST EVERY CAKE ORDER I RECIEVE REQUEST BUTTERCREAM ICING.. I HAVE USED THE PAPER TOWEL METHOD TO GIVE I SMOOTH LOOK. IT ALSO HELPS TO COVER THE CORNERS WHERE THE CAKE SOMETIMES SHOWS THRU.. WHAT OTHER METHOD IS THERE OUT THERE TO GIVE THE CAKE A SMOOTH FONDANT LOOK ...

6 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 7

My Wilton instructor taught us the fine-mist spray technique. Smooth your icing as well as you can, then take a really fine mist sprayer (you can get them in the painting department of the craft store, small plastic bottle), spray a fine mist on the sides of the cake first, then smooth with your off-set spatula. Once you have the sides done, continue with the top. I like this method, but think I am going to try to do the viva method or melvira's method (I picked up some of the rollers this past weekend).

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 7

Take a look at "my 1st topsey turvy cake" in my gallery. I got that one smooth by placing it in the fridge and allowing it to harden then dipping my spatula into a glass of hot water letting it stay wet and smoothing the cake. One the icing began t stick I would redip the spatula again leaving it wet and smoothing. I can not belive how well it worked.

butlah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butlah Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

After I frost my cake, I let it sit for about an hour if its cool enough in the house or I put it in the fridge. Once it has a good crust on it, I take my wooden roller and roll over the icing lightly to get it smooth. It has worked very well so far.

BMAC01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BMAC01 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

icon_smile.gif THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK. WILL TRY..

bunnys26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnys26 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 7

How do you smooth a sheet cake. TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%