Fondant Without Corn Syrup ?

Decorating By Homeschl2 Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 12:09am by alanahodgson

Homeschl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homeschl2 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 11

I have a daughter with food allergies to nuts, corn, and soy. So I really have a reason to bake from scratch now! But I wonder in the fondant recipes like the chocopan there is some corn syrup. Can I substiute it?

10 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 11

try cane syrup (similar to corn syrup, but from sugar cane, not corn). just do a search on google for it.

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 11

Oh my god. I thought my aunt was the only one allergic to corn!! I'm in the process of buying the ingredients to make her a scratch cake!

I have found 2 VERY good websites to use. http://www.cornallergens.com/ and http://www.allergygrocer.com/ they have links to products that have all kinds of trigger free foods.

Best of luck!!

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 11

Here's a recipe for a mock corn syrup

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1823,147170-227206,00.html

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 11

Hmmmm. I've always heard that the corn syrup is important as that is what makes the fondant stretchy and workable. So if you substitute something for it, you might have trouble with the fondant tearing or crumbling. But, it is surely worth a try! I read on Recipezaar that the following possible substitutions:

1/2 cup sugar + 2 tbsp water = 1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup honey = 1/2 cup light corn syrup

I hope you can find something that works out for you!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 11

Hi Homeschl2, I hope you figured out something that will work for you! If not, I noticed in the Recipes section that there is a recipe for Jello fondant that does not use corn syrup. icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 11

if you use that recipe I would confirm with Kraft whether the "sugar" listed on the ingredients for jello is always cane or beet sugar - it could be derived from other sources, including corn.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 11

What about glucose, can she have that? I know Wilton's homemade recipe uses it.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 11

Hmm TexasSugar - I thought corn syrup in the US is very often referred to as glucose. In that corn is largely an American crop, corn syrup has not been widely available in Europe. And what I found out was that in Europe glucose has probably been processed from grapes or honey, so it depends on where Homeschl2 is located I guess. . . . . . . icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 11

People will sub one for the other, but I don't think we refer to one as the other. Glucose is thicker than corn syrup, costs more and is found with the cake stuff or in the pharmacy. Corn syrup it thinner, cheap and found in the grocery store.

I'm not sure what it is made out of, but it could be an option.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #11 of 11

For my last batch of fondant I was shy about 1/3 cup of corn syrup so I added some glucose to make up for it. I didn't use the whole 1/3 cup b/c I know it's thicker than corn syrup. My fondant was super sticky. I added tons of powdered sugar to get it close to being right and it just was not quite the same. the recipe would probably have to be played around with if it asks for cornsyrup and you're subbing glucose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%