Freez Cakes

Decorating By Julisa Updated 3 Sep 2007 , 11:50am by alanahodgson

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 44

I have read several different things on freezing cakes. I have to bake 10 cakes for a wedding on Oct. 6th. My oven is tiny and can barely hold to 8" round pans. I plan on going to my Mother's house to bake the cakes ahead of time. I was wondering which is best to do. Freeze the baked, cooled cake without leveling, filling, or icing? Or level, fill, crumb coat then freeze. Let completely thaw at room temp. then ice w/BC then cover in Satin Ice fondant? I don't have enough room in my freezer to put the cakes already covered in fondant w/o them getting squished. Also about how long does it take for a cake to settle? I have to drive about 4 hrs to deliver these cakes and was hoping to avoid the buldging part.
Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

43 replies
purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 44

Can't help ya, but these are all very good questions to have the answers to!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 44

Bake the cakes, let them cool and then wrap them in press n seal freezer wrap. Then stack them in the freezer. The day before you plan on decorating them, let them thaw in the fridge. Level them and crumb coat them and put them back in the fridge so they have a chance to get cold again. Then go ahead and put your fondant on.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 44

If I freeze I've only done the cake , then took it out and filled and crumb frosted then let it sit to settle then frosted and decorate it. I know some that have frozen totally done. Guess it's personal preference. About leveling , I don't have to I bake at 325 and when the cake comes out of the oven I use a towel and press the cake even on top. Works like a charm, no messy crumbs that way.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Bake the cakes, let them cool and then wrap them in press n seal freezer wrap. Then stack them in the freezer. The day before you plan on decorating them, let them thaw in the fridge. Level them and crumb coat them and put them back in the fridge so they have a chance to get cold again. Then go ahead and put your fondant on.

What is crumb coating-- i have heard (read) about it a lot on the board and I finally ahve the courage to ask--WHAT IS IT? amd how do yo do it? thank you for any info!

Julisa Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 44

Hey thanks all. I also forgot to ask about how far in advance can I freeze them?

Quote:
Quote:

penguinprincess...What is crumb coating-- i have heard (read) about it a lot on the board and I finally ahve the courage to ask--WHAT IS IT? amd how do yo do it? thank you for any info!

Crum coating is done by icing your cake lightly/thinly in buttercream and then waiting to let the icing crust a bit. This way it "traps" any crums in place before you put your final layer of BC and/or Fondant on.

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 44

I have questions on this too so Im not much help....I was actually getting ready to post a question about freezing cakes when I seen this, lol. I participate at a Farmers Market, it is an outdoor event we hold at our town square...anywho, it poured that morning and scared all of our customers off...I sell cake slices and cupcakes....everything is iced and decorated...I had a ton of left overs so I put freezer cling wrap over them and put them in the freezer....with the icingn bein on them, willl they still be ok?

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #8 of 44

Crum coating is done by icing your cake lightly/thinly in buttercream and then waiting to let the icing crust a bit. This way it "traps" any crums in place before you put your final layer of BC and/or Fondant on.[/quote]

Thank you so much-- do you put it on and spread it -- does it cover completely? or not as completely?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:09am
post #9 of 44

I freeze everything because I truly, absolutely believe that it results in a better product. I bake, torte, wrap and freeze. Then for a Saturday delivery, on Thursday I take the layers out of the freezer, fill, wrap and let sit 24 hours. On Friday I frost and decorate. On Saturday I deliver.

The 24 hours settling period eliminates the buldge. That and pressing down on the layers and using a good damn for fillings.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:21am
post #10 of 44

Can fondant be frozen?

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:29am
post #11 of 44

I had one this week and noticed on Ace of cake that Duff freezes his cakes and then covers with fondant. If I am wrong on this please let me know. I don't know how long he lets them sit out after that cause the fondant will sweat. I put powder sugar on them because I didnt think of this before hand. This method does give you great corners!!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:46am
post #12 of 44

Hi Leahs,

when you say you "wrap" after filling, it means you use cling wrap again.

So they thaw after they have been filled?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:47am
post #13 of 44

Oops! Forgot my question mark Leah! So you wrap after filling in order to thaw?

iloveconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iloveconfections Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #14 of 44

leahs...

I also have found that I like cake better after it has been frozen. So, after thawing and filling, you then wrap it up and let it sit where? in the fridge, room-temp? what?

What is this buldge you are talking about? On top? Thanks.

Allison

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #15 of 44

The Thursday routine is pull the layers out of the freezer, fill and stack while still frozen then wrap in plastic wrap. They sit on the counter overnight. The buldge is that unsightly line around the middle of your tier where the filling is.

Kinda like VPL for cake.

OK, now who's gonna "get" that reference? icon_lol.gif

biberbob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biberbob Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #16 of 44

VPL for cake that is too funny

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:18am
post #17 of 44

leahs...

Too funny!!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #18 of 44

Leahs... I'm going to have to try your method and timeline. I usually try to tackle so much all in 1 - 2 days, that by the time I finally get to the "fun" part I'm all wore out. This would certainly make it much easier.

I vow to freeze a cake!! Any special wrapping instructions you'd like to share?

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #19 of 44

Cake-Happy
Press and Seal cling wrap is the best. I then wrap in foil also. Make sure you have a flat spot in the freezer to set them on! You will be very impressed with how moist your cake is after freezing it. It is like it locks the moister in!

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:45am
post #20 of 44

I just use regular cling/plastic that I get in the ginormous rolls at Sams. At my volume, Press and Seal is waaaay to expensive. Ditto foil.

And yaknow what? I wrap the cakes in the plastic and freeze them with it. then unwrap and fill then cakes. Then wrap them back up loosely with the same platic wrap.

Yeap, I'm that cheap (frugal).

Julisa Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 44

Wow. I love all this great info.

I didnt get the meaning of VPL..someone tell me so I can laugh also.

I am so totally going to freeze these cakes just the way Leahs says to. I will also use my Sams ginormus cling/plastic wrap.
Thak YOU!!!

FaithsPlace Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #22 of 44

Press and seal is the best!! I agree it is expensive but, it is so good!

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:28pm
post #23 of 44

VPL = Visible Panty Line

You know when you've been eating too much cake and your pants get a little too tight . . .

FaithsPlace Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 44

Leah that is to funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Regan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regan Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #25 of 44

I was also wondering what VPL was....LOL, that is too funny!
Since we are talking about freezing, can a cake be iced with bc while frozen?? I was thinking that might help getting crips corners??

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #26 of 44

Ha!! I call that my "Muffin Pants." You know, how your hips kinda fall over the belt line of your pants, like a muffin falls over the muffin cup edge..... icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 8:54pm
post #27 of 44

You can fill frozen layers, but icing a frozen cake can get you in trouble. Large bubbles can develop under the icing as the cake thaws. Really, best to fill and let them settle then frost and decorate.

CathyGreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathyGreen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 9:25pm
post #28 of 44

I'm just an amateur but a semi-pro told me a trick a couple years ago that I've found fautless. Bake the cake, cool for 15-30 minutes, place on serving platter and freeze. Cover if necessary. Frost the cake after it is frozen...I've found that it even makes it easier to frost when it's frozen. Have to admit (sheepishly) that until now my cakes and frostings have been store-bought mixes/tubs (I really need KitchenAide) and I get TONS of comlpliments on them every single time I make a cake. As an amateur I go for the taste more than the decorations, and this process has ALWAYS been a hit.

After discovering this website I'm talking myself into a KitchenAide as we speak...so I can try some of the awesome recipes I've found on the site.

Happy baking/decorating to all!
cg

Cake-Happy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #29 of 44

Leahs, I'm so glad you defined VPL. icon_lol.gif I'm definitely going to try it. I'm off work the rest of the week, so I think I'll bake a cake and freeze it, just to try it out. I trust you guys whole-heartedly. You're the pro's! Thanks for all the tips on this thread. Very helpful!

CathyGreen, you have to get a Kitchenaid. I wished I would have bought one years ago. I just got mine in February. LOVE IT!

Cake-Happy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #30 of 44

I just read my last reply. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I meant I'm going to try to "freeze a cake", I already have the VPL. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%