Wedding - I Need Help!

Decorating By ruralepicure Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm by ruralepicure

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

I just need help figuring the number of servings. I'm trying to decide if a cake should be 4 tiered or 3 tiered and the number of servings I will get.

The first option is 4 tiers (8-10-12-14) 2 inch pans with 2 layers. I get according to the Wilton chart 196 servings. I'm counting the top tier in my number of servings as I will be making them a fresh cake for their 1 year anniversary.

The second option is 3 tiers (8-12-16) again, 2 inch pans with 2 layers. According to the Wilton chart it's 180 servings. Counting the top tier in the number of servings again.

Which option do you think would look the most presentable? option 1 or 2?

I'm also going to be making sheet cakes to bring the number of servings up to 450. My thought was to do 12x18 sheet cakes and double them up, not torte but full two layers with the filling in the middle. A regular 12x18 serves 54 2x2 inch servings. I was thinking these could be 1x2 inch pieces, please tell me how many servings I could count on per sheet cake, my brain is shut down.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

9 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 10

I baked an 8 inch cake and cut it up the way some of these charts say to and I will say that from that experiment I find that Earlene's chart is the most accurate. It gives different figures from the Wilton chart. You might want to check it out at her website. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 10

Well I personally think that the 4 tier option one would be great!!

so I think that if you do that you shouold have 197 servings which leaves you with 250 so I would do 3 sheet cakes if you serve by 1x2's that should give you 324 servings per cake and a grand total of 521. The reason it is much higher is that I dont think that all the servings will be 1x2 simply because those will be harder to cut. Anyway just my opinion.

GOOD LUCK

ruralepicure Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you! That's what I was going by before and then someone said, no, go by Wilton's site.

I'm confused and on the verge of stressing. Haven't even made it to the store yet!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 10

Yep, same here...I use Earlene's....the size of the pieces is a little more realistic IMO....
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

ruralepicure Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 10

So for Earlene's option 1 I get 150 servings and actually the same for option 2 - 150 servings.

Is this right??

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 10

I figured 155 for option 1 and 150 for option 2.

And on the 12x18 sheet cakes, I usually figure 50 slices per half sheet.

SO, if you do the four tier, you have 155 and then 6 half sheets equal 300, you'll end up with 455.

ruralepicure Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you guys!

If I double up the 12x18 sheet cakes so they are 2 full layers wouldn't I get 108 1x2 inch servings from each one?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralepicure

Thank you guys!

If I double up the 12x18 sheet cakes so they are 2 full layers wouldn't I get 108 1x2 inch servings from each one?

And just make sure that you have a very sturdy board (masonite) underneath that cake -- if you look at my pix, the white one with gold roses on the table was 2 12 x 18 cakes stacked with an 8 inch heart on top -- VERY heavy!! I didn't have enough support under the cake (I had 4 cake boards under it) and it almost buckled. DH had to make a special carrier to get it into the house! icon_cool.gif

ruralepicure Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you bobwonderbuns!

I never thought about trying to carry all of these cakes, I'm pregnant and my doctor has said to be careful not to carry heavy things. I may have to put trust in others to do my carrying - yikes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%