Help! How Can I Attach My Fondant Flowers To Floral Wire

Decorating By lena1248 Updated 24 Jul 2005 , 9:32pm by lena1248

lena1248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lena1248 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 10

icon_cry.gif I made small fondant flowers (forget-me-not size) for a cake. I just can't seem to attatch them to the wire. Please help!

9 replies
lena1248 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 10

Does anyone have any suggestions for attaching flowers to floral wire. Please help I have never attatched flowers to floral wire before but I know that it seems to be used frequently. I'm open to any suggestions!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Kajsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kajsa Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 10

Hi!
I use some royal icing and make a small dot on the end of the wire, let it dry and the apply the flower using some edible glue or more icing. I hope you understand me fairly good, as I am not good in english. icon_smile.gif
Kajsa

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not positive, but I think it needed to be done when you made the flower. Hopefully someone with more experience will see this and get a better answer for you.

lena1248 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 10

icon_smile.gif Well what I did was make the flowers and when they were somewhat dry i made holes in the center just large enough for the floral wire. I just wasn't sure on how to keep the flowers on the wire without them sliding down. I think that I will try using the royal icing idea unless anyone knows of something else.

Thanks I'll post a picture when the cakes done

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 10

Yes, usually if you're putting the flowers on wires you would do it by wrapping the flower around the wire when you're making it...but the tip for using royal icing would work well too I think.

Kajsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kajsa Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 6:58am
post #7 of 10

Since the forget me nots are such small flowers, I have never successfully attached them to wire the "normal" way, they fall off once they're dry.
Karin

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

when making the gumpaste flowers I do the flower then I make a hook in the end of the wire and dip into some glue made from 3parts waterto 1 part gum arabicand when attaching the wire I put wire through top of flower through center so the hoocomes through the top and gives a little more stability.. in the wedding cake I did most of thoses flowers are gumpaste from the apple blossoms to stephanotis and lillies. hope this helps icon_smile.gif

lena1248 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 3:08am
post #9 of 10

I just want to say thank you to everyone. All your suggestions were great... the problem was that once I attatched them i decided that it didn't look right so I went in a different direction with the flowers. Instead I am planning to draw a stem using icing and then place the flowers on the drawn stem. The stem is going to be on 3-tier cake that is decorated with a basket weave. I'm just hoping it will look as great as it does in my mind. Haha

Thanks again....and I will post pictures when its finished (by Sat.) icon_lol.gif

lena1248 Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 10

Couldn't get the photo to upload into the forum but this cake is in with the Baby Shower cakes along with the cake I made to welcome the new baby. Thanks again for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%