Question About Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By abbey Updated 23 Jul 2005 , 7:18pm by jpdesserts

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

I was thinking about making rolled buttercream icing. Can you use rolled bc the same way you use MMF? Or is the texture not like that more like regular bc?

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 8

Someone on here recently did a cake with rolled buttercream..maybe they will see this post and help you out!

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

I have use rolled buttercream, but have only used it to ice a cake.
I have never made MMF so I don't know about it.

I do not know if you can make roses and such with RB it is oily so, but if you got it thick enough I guess you could try.

I like it for covering a cake - but that is all I have used it for.

Sorry I am not more informative.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 12:03am
post #5 of 8

I have used RBC in a lot of cakes. I find it to tear a little easier than mmf or fondant but not too badly ..also to me it seems to "PATCH" easier...just a warm hand run over it seams it. And it tastes wonderful! But yes it handles very similar to MMF or fondant. It does turn a little shinier than fondant but still very smooth. I havent made flowers with it however I think you could possibly make simple ones if you stopped frequently or made them quickly because it would melt easily..I hope this helps!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

thanks KayDay. I hated to make it for the cake I had to do for today when I wasn't sure exactly what it would come out like. I think I will give it a try though. I'm making a cake for a church dinner this weekend so that will be a good chance to play with it and see if I like it or not.

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 7:04am
post #7 of 8

How does it taste, i too want to use it but a bit unsure, want to do chocolate.

jpdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpdesserts Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

I have used RBC in a lot of cakes. I find it to tear a little easier than mmf or fondant but not too badly ..also to me it seems to "PATCH" easier...just a warm hand run over it seams it. And it tastes wonderful! But yes it handles very similar to MMF or fondant. It does turn a little shinier than fondant but still very smooth. I havent made flowers with it however I think you could possibly make simple ones if you stopped frequently or made them quickly because it would melt easily..I hope this helps!

if it melts easily will it stand up to the heat and/or humidity of a summer day? I have wanted to use fondant on a cake but i really don't care for the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%