Wedding Cake Fell/i Can't Take Any More/closing Bakery

Decorating By awall96 Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 5:58am by JoJoMick

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:26am
post #31 of 42

I think everyone here has given great advice! I just wanted to send you a hug and tell you to do what is best for YOU and your family! Good luck!!!

iheartbirthdaycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartbirthdaycake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:39pm
post #32 of 42

I am SO sorry you are going through this!

If it isn't making you happy then you shouldn't do it anymore. However, It could be one of those things you just have to work through and learn. Maybe you will look back one day, while you are running a successful bakery, and laugh at how you almost quit.

I wish I could tell you what to do but you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Hugs,
Amanda

awall96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awall96 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:00pm
post #33 of 42

Well, it has been a week and a half and I will be closing my shop.

The bakery was "eating" way too much money and pretty much putting us in the poor house. As I may have stated earlier the bakery's income was only supporting utilities and some ingredients. Rent and wages for my 1 employee is being paid by the overtime me and my husband work.

There was one person interested in buying, but that fell through.

Someone can still buy it, but my offical last day will be Friday, September 7th.

It just has to be this way.

I will decorate only for family for now. Decorating is my true passion and I rarely got to do this because I hardly had orders and I was managing the store.

I am at total peace with my decsion. Thank you to everyone for all of your kind words and prayers. They all meant alot to me. Thank you sooooo much.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #34 of 42

Sometimes I think the hardest thing to do is to make the decision. Once the decision is made, you can move on - and it sounds like you've made the right decision for you and your family.

I am sorry that it did not work out, but we live and learn I guess!

At least you can now decorate cakes for family and get some enjoyment out of it!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:55am
post #35 of 42

I'm glad you were able to make a decision that you are comfortable with. That is the most important thing-besides your family. Good luck to you in whatever adventures come your way. Everything happens for a reason so there must be something else in store for you. Sending hugs and best wishes.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:00pm
post #36 of 42

My heart breaks for your first post and the bad times you went through. I am so glad you made a decision that has you at peace. I'm also glad you can get back to enjoying your passion for cake decorating, rather than it being work.

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:45pm
post #37 of 42

I think this hits home with all of us because at some time or another we've all dreamed of having that cute little bakery, spending our days decorating cupcakes and designing unbelievable wedding cakes. Unfortunately, running a bakery does not always equate with being a creative, artistic person (like all the folks on this site!) If you have enough business to make a buck, you don't have much time or energy left to be creative. If you are creative and go the extra mile, you probably don't make much profit at all. So somewhere in there, you have to find that middle ground where you and your family can be happy. It sounds like you have found where you should be at this time in your life - and you've given all of us some important things to think about. My best wishes and prayers to you and KEEP DECORATING AND POSTING THOSE WONDERFUL PICTURES!!!

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:49am
post #38 of 42

I'm so sorry you had to make this decision! I know that part of it is the cruddy Michigan economy we have! I'm telling you if you were closer to my area I would definitely be interested in talking to you about buying it from you or leasing your space...but Allegan is a bit away from Waterford...boo. Stupid economy!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #39 of 42

Hugs to you! I'm glad you were able to make a decision that you feel comfortable with.

And whatever you think, don't ever consider yourself a failure because you closed your shop - you closed it for your family and peace of mind. At least you had the guts to go out and try it.

I, have toyed with the idea, as many other have, for several and getting serious about it. However, I still have a great fear factor. You stepped out and can always say you did it. You are not the first person to put your family first and step away.

Bless you and wish you the best. thumbs_up.gif

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:57am
post #40 of 42

i am sorry about your troubles. i did not read all the posts, but if this business is giving you so much stress and you are not able to see your family then it is not worth it. sometimes things happen for a reason. i have been trying to open a bakery for a year now. i went thru 3 places and they all fell thru. i have a 5 and 3 year old boys. if i had the bakery i woudl not get to see them, besides being up to my ears in debt. when the time is right, you can go back to what you love doing.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:28am
post #41 of 42

(((big hug to you))) That was a tough decision that you made, but you sound more at peace with it. Go enjoy your family for awhile and make some new happy memories.

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:58am
post #42 of 42

I'm grateful that you came to your CC family with your woes - - what if we had no one to share our troubles with? All you CC people are so caring and sensitive, what a blessing! I was really feeling all of the love and concern and I wasn't the one with all the trials and tribs (Trust me, we ALL have things to contend with!) Anyway, I'm glad you've made a decision and I agree with all the good advice and hugs that were sent your way. Trust your decision and somewhere on down the line, you have the freedom and support to re-think it and perhaps change your mind. Count your blessings - - you have alot to be thankful for!
JoJoMick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%