Will I Go To Disney Jail??

Decorating By ShooshBrat Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm by ShooshBrat

ShooshBrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShooshBrat Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 27

Hi All!

I am new at all of this, and don't know if there are any rules/laws that I NEED to be aware of.

First, I am not selling anything, I am only making a cake for my niece for her birthday.....

It is made with the Wilton Castle kit, and I have made some Colorflow "Disney Princesses" to place around the outside.

Now, here's the catch.....

......we are taking it to Disney World, to give it to her, during dinner at one of the Charachter Dinners.

My question, as silly as it sounds, is, will I go to Disney jail for Copyright problems?????

I didn't think about it to begin with, but now that I've made them, and thought about the fact that I am taking it into the park, I thought.....is it wrong since I am not buying from them, and made my own???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if anyone has any info/suggestions....share!!

If nothing else, I'm just paranoid.

Thanks so much for any/all help!!

26 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 27

No worries, since there was no cash involved! They are going to think it is too cute!
I'm still trying to figure out how they made our wedding cake so that I can make a replica for our anniversary!
Lucky girl, having her birthday at Disney World!!

cakebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 27

I say DON'T do it!!! Buy her some figurines for the cake or leave them off. I have heard that disney is one company that enforces their copy rights. I would not chance it. JMO icon_biggrin.gif

FrostinGal Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 27

Cakebabe, they aren't that strict! Millions of visitors use clipart to make their own tees for family vacation, and I've never seen one ever get sent to Disney jail!
(Disney is my other obsession!)

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 27

If you are not selling the disney product there is no copyright problem. Take your cake and enjoy!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 27

I know that at Cookie Bouquet all the Disney Images had to be airbrushed over decals first because they were so strict that it look exactly like their characters.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 27

Naw, as Ginny said you are not selling it so you are fine. You might want to call ahead to make sure it is okay for you to bring in your own cake to the restaurant tho.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 27

The only thing I would make sure is that they will allow you to bring it in to serve many restaurants will not!!!

So you could call ahead and check, dont say who its for and ask.

I did somwthing like that once and they told me I could not even bring it in the reataurant to keep it cool!

I hope they let you bring it in.

Good Luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 27

Since you are not being paid for the cake there should not be any copyright problems. However like others have said call the restaurant and ask if you can bring the cake in for your neice's birthday dinner that you are having there.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 27

You can go to Michaels, buy the Disney Princess cake pan and bake that cake for your child, your neice or anyone you want, as long as you do not CHARGE any money for it. To me this is the same thing. There is no money changing hands, so there is no worry.

You just can not reproduce copyrighted characters and sell them.

ShooshBrat Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks to everyone!

I am SOO paranoid, and had already called the hotel to get them to store it for me, bet never even THOUGHT of the restaurant not letting me bring it in!!

I'm on the phone with Disney Dining now....will let everyone know what they say.

I've worked so hard on the colorflow princesses, I'd hate for them to go to waste because we can't use them.....if all else fails, we'll give her the cake in the hotel, I suppose.

Thanks again everyone!

ShooshBrat Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:08am
post #12 of 27

Okay.....so, for future reference- Since 9/11, they no longer allow outside food to be brought into the restaurants. It must be prepared there, or ordered through them. I GUESS I can understand, but still thumbsdown.gif

Thanks so much for warning me about that! Here I am worrying about bringing copied Princesses in, and I'd have had to throw the whole cake away when I got to the park because they wouldn't allow me to even bring it in the restaurant! UUUUGGHHH!!! icon_cry.gif

Well, atleast we have a villa, so we can do the cake in the room....What a bummer! not as special, but we'll live. icon_sad.gif

FrostinGal Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #13 of 27

Bummer about not being able to take your cake into the restuarant!
Which character meal will you be attending?
You can still have a great party at the Villa!

ShooshBrat Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:24am
post #14 of 27

We are actually going to several. icon_razz.gif

We got the FREE Dining plan, so we are doing Chef Mickeys, Garden Grill, Chrystal Palace and Ohana breakfast with Stitch. The day we ended up planning for was not a charachter meal afterall, but at the 50's primetime cafe...that's who turned me down....I tried Chef Mickeys after that, and got the same story. icon_sad.gif

Hopefully we'll figure out a good time, we've got the whole week booked solid, this will put a small wrinkle in things, but it'll be worth it! thumbs_up.gif

FrostinGal Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:11am
post #15 of 27

I know that suggesting this may open me up to mutiny, but...you can order a cake at most of the restaurants. We've only had preordered cake from the Grand Floridian Resort's bakery, but it was SOOOOO good! So if you've set your heart on a cake at one of the restaurants, you can still do it, you just have to get it from their bakery.
They have some amazing decorators at Disney!! Here is a photo of our wedding cake:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/FrostinGal/PJ05259-22-06.jpg

We lucked out and our travel agent was able to add the free dining onto last year's anniversary trip! It is SOOOO much food, but it was so nice not having to worry about prices or tips. We are planning on doing it next year. At full price, it is still a great deal! We actually had 12 counter service credits left on our last day, so we purchased sandwiches and other meals that travelled well and took them on the plane with us.
Ohana breakfast with Stitch was too cool, and we love 50's Primetime Cafe! Last time, DD had to hold a packet of sugar up on the wall with her nose for tattling on her little brother! Hilarious! On a previous trip, DD and DH had to get up and sing I'm a little Teapot in front of the restaurant for being "naughty"!
Have an awesome time!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:23am
post #16 of 27

FrostinGal....what an amazing wedding cake! Right now I'm thinking...I WANNA MOVE TO FLORIDA AND WORK FOR DISNEY!!!

Shoosh...have a great time. We just went for the first time as a family about a year ago. I'm fiending for another one! Ohana Breakfast is great. We did it for my bday and I loved it!!!

ShooshBrat Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:41am
post #17 of 27

Wow!!
Your wedding cake was beautiful!! (Sorry guys, even Disney bakers/cake decorators had to start somewhere and I MUST give them kudos where it's due!)

I actually wouldn't MIND ordering a cake, since I really don't have much of a choice now, BUT- My DNiece has been PROMISED that I'd make her one! If that wasn't the case, I'd DEFINATELY not be trying to fit it into my packing for the trip, packing our house (moving the WEEK we get back) and working (every night until we leave Saturday morning).

Ya....you can go ahead and call me insane, here. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank goodness I'm so obsessed with Disney, and with our DNiece and DNephew!! icon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 27

I am glad I mentioned to call the restaurant. It would have been devastating to have to leave the cake at the front gate.

Glad that you guys will at least be able to enjoy it in your room.

Good Luck and have fun.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

we love 50's Primetime Cafe! Last time, DD had to hold a packet of sugar up on the wall with her nose for tattling on her little brother! Hilarious! On a previous trip, DD and DH had to get up and sing I'm a little Teapot in front of the restaurant for being "naughty"!
Have an awesome time!

I got in trouble for trying to hide my green beans. They took them to the back, and brought them back out covered in whip cream and sprinkles and told me that it was my dessert because I tried to hide them and not eat my veggies. I couldn't get a real dessert unless I finished my green beans. I LOVE that restaurant. My daughter thought it was funny because I got in trouble from "Mom"

Eeyore16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eeyore16 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 27

If your cake is already done and went to so much trouble take it to the room with you (at least it will stay cool) and do a birthday party in your villa with your family. Call the hotel front desk and tell them what happened (can't get it into the park) and see if they can do something to help you celebrate it in your room. Maybe some balloons, a picture of the characters signed specially for her,etc.
Have fun and good luck. You will still be in the funnest place on earth.

Eeyore 16

PS. I used to work in Disney for 14 years.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 27

Absolutely gorgeous wedding cake ... icon_eek.gif

So, does Disney also do special children's cakes for birthdays, etc., at their restaurants? I know you can request cakes at the restaurants, but how "customize-able" are they? (Is that a word? ) icon_biggrin.gif

We are sooo hoping to take our son to Disney for his fourth birthday .. DH and I honeymooned there, and also took our boy when he was 1 (yes, we're crazy). I normally zealously guard my commitment to make all his birthday cakes, but at Disney, I'd make an exception!

Anyone have any pictures?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #22 of 27

oh you are going to Love the 50's prime time diner. It is my favorite restaurant in all of the parks! I had my 18th birthday diner there (my parents took me and a friend to WDW for the week) and i had the whole "family" come and wish me a happy birthday. I love the atmostphere there!

Darandon - that is funny, my dad did too... he doesnt' care for any vegetables so they had a lot of fun with him... I almost got in trouble for sharing my desert with him b/c he hadn't finished his dinner yet!

FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:31am
post #23 of 27

Sarah, I'm there with you! WDW hires nurses and pastry chefs, so I figure my golden years are set!
I mean, really, when the kids ask the grandkids, "which grandma do you want to visit this summer?", I'm thinking the grandma that works for Mickey Mouse will be the "winner." icon_twisted.gif And my baby is only three, so you could call this premeditated. icon_twisted.gif

Our first trip was in 2001, over 9/11 and the staff at Disney were so awesome, and worked hard to keep the "magic" going for all the children despite what was going on. We bought a license plate holder that says, "Disney World, been there, done that, GOING BACK!" I refuse to take it off my car! We're planning another trip for next year and we can't wait!

Here is an excellent link to a thread from the Disboards all about ordering cakes at WDW,
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1173219

Shoosh, you MAY be crazy with all that going on! But I've never heard a kid say no to TWO birthday cakes! LOL

ShooshBrat Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 8:37am
post #24 of 27

TWO birthday cakes....so true! She's LOVE the extra attention!

And we LOVE 50's Prime time too! The only bad thing about loving several of the restaurants is that we tend to keep going BACK to them, and are missing out on so many OTHER ones- Mind You, I believe, Disney World has more restaurants than BATHROOMS! icon_lol.gif

Okay........I need HONEST opinions......on my Colorflows, before I even ATTEMPT the rest of this cake!

First, some background:
This is my first attempt. We just took our last class of Wilton Course II. I have this VERY BAD HABIT of "experimenting". While everyone else was doing the colorflow bird, in class.....I HAD to try something different, and attempt the Princesses....and TINK. Crazy, I know! One of the FIRST things our instructor told us, in course I was, "I learn more from my mistakes than I do from my first time successes"......well......lets just say, I, personally, have done a LOT of "LEARNING"! icon_confused.gif I ALWAYS have to stretch the limit and experiment with EVERYTHING I learn and do! And have done a LOT of failing with it all!!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif So, I'm DEFINATELY won't be offended if you tell me these are just plain BAD......the thing is, I need help on HOW to fix them!

So......here are my Tink (My VERY FIRST colorflow) and my Cinderella- Why did I EVEN worry that Disney would think I was duplicating anyway?!?!?! icon_lol.gif

1st Cinderella- Clue #1- I am HORRIBLE at faces!!!

2nd Cinderella

My Tink- Face looks REALLY scary!! I really don't know how to "cheat" on faces....uuuugghh!

The rest of my Princesses are done, but faceless at the moment.....I just don't know if I should continue after these attempts.

thumbs_up.gif or thumbsdown.gif ?

FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #25 of 27

Don't feel bad, Shoosh, faces are hard. I think for Tink, her face could come down and forward a bit. Otherwise, you nailed her! I especially love the sparkly wings! Cindy looks great, too. I actually like the way her face came out on the first one, but the colorflow looks great on the second.
All in all, they are totally recognizable and any kid would love to have you for their birthday cake-ing auntie!! Awesome job, I wish my first color-flo projects had been so nice!

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 27

i have no idea if i'm doing this right..lol.. but I just want you to know that I think your color flow tink and cinderella look so nice shoosh.. I'm new to the forums sort of..lol.. i read them all the time and share your ups and downs.. everyone on cc seem to be the nicest bunch of ppl .. I hope i get this on post..lol.. thumbs_up.gif

ShooshBrat Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #27 of 27

Hi Theresa!!

Thanks so much!
I kinda let my princesses faulter because I was soooooo disappointed with the faces. Oh! Not to mention, my DD just looked at them and laughed "Mom, face it, u can't do faces!"

And then, not being able to take it into the restaurant DEFINATELY took the wind out of my sails......

Maybe when we get back, I'll get in there and finish them, just to practice....they all really DO look decent, anyway.....until I draw the faces on! icon_lol.gif

Welcome to CC! I absolutely LOVE these people......best group of "friends" I've never met! No matter what silly question I've asked or advice I've needed, I always get a positive feedback!

No WONDER I'm so addicted!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%